The content of frequencies we don't hear...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always make the points Rossi made.

But there is always the "you can feel it" battle that you have to get through  :mad:

The thing is, usually you can hear if something's well recorded even on a reproduction system as limited as a kitchen radio.

So I guess we should put more effort into the quality of what we surely can hear - anytime - instead of worrying about the quantity of stuff we might be able to feel - under speculative conditions.

I have been meaning to take some auditory tests. I'm pretty sure my hearing drops off at maybe 15K or so. Possibly less.

After a lifetime (to date!) of music listening, I don't recall thinking that I'm missing something in the high freqs.
If anything, I seem to be much more interested in the mid range and how articulate that is.

Actually, after some mild 'hf style' tinitus set in over the last couple of years I find I roll of the tops more than anything.
I'm pretty sure the sonic signature of said ringing matches a 70s fender silverface twin reverb. Evil bastard that is.

So - for me the issue is the essential impermenance of all the audio jewel preconceptions - they all change over time.

Preferences in listening, preferences in equipment and the changing physical limitations of the body.
All combine to make generalisations about the audio expericence very temporal.

Or maybe not :)

tangent alert  i know some one is thinkin'...we DO process info over 22k.
i would agree for a couple of reasons.  one question would be just HOW we perceive it.  i don't know.

there are a few ways ultra sonic hearing aids work...

most all attach to the bone in back of the ear.

some move all the audio frequencies up to ultra sonic range.

the only actual info i could find on short notice was one that uses a 30kHz 'carrier' signal modulated by the audio band (with serious tweaks to the audio band).

Attachments

• sp2012_submission_129.pdf
    439.8 KB
Back