The one thing I hate about putting in a parts order...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnRoberts said:
There needs to be another Law added to the list that says, immediately after placing a parts order you remember one more part you needed.  ;D

JR
Maybe the same law would apply to PCB design.  As soon as you submit the files, and the order has gotten past the point of no return, you realize there's a problem that needs to be fixed.

I really wish I had a local resource for electronics parts. Unfortunately, I'm completely locked into mail order where I live. I do have Radio Shack, but they're only good for onesies and twosies of basic parts.

dmlandrum said:
I really wish I had a local resource for electronics parts. Unfortunately, I'm completely locked into mail order where I live. I do have Radio Shack, but they're only good for onesies and twosies of basic parts.
I think it's pretty much like that everywhere these days. RadioShack is now a cell phone / variety store.

I suspect we are witnessing DIY evolving from cobbling discrete parts together with melted solder, to maybe programming small smart modules. I have seen some toy like building blocks that snap together and deliver rudimentary functions.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I suspect we are witnessing DIY evolving from cobbling discrete parts together with melted solder, to maybe programming small smart modules. I have seen some toy like building blocks that snap together and deliver rudimentary functions.

JR

At Dallas Peroe Museum yesterday, I had a first handle look and play at the little bits kits. Simply awesome!

They even have a Korg synth Version in the works.

This is quite similar to what I'm trying to do with Expat Audio. But it's been a slow and painful process.

Yes, absolutely. Until a few months ago RS Components Germany allowed for small orders (like 5 transistors or 10 caps) at no shipping costs and usually arriving the next day. I guess this business model was unsustainable, but it was a blessing for DIYers like me.

It's a good thing the big online electronics suppliers are willing to cater to hobbyists. If anything, it seems like the winds are shifting more that way these days. That's good news in its own way, but I still wish I had a local supplier.

dmlandrum said:
It's a good thing the big online electronics suppliers are willing to cater to hobbyists. If anything, it seems like the winds are shifting more that way these days. That's good news in its own way, but I still wish I had a local supplier.
The more effective online component merchants are probably catering to small companies who do not get all the free parts and monthly visits from sales reps. Selling small volume parts that get used in prototypes can wind up in production for any successful designs.

It is kind of painful to see the cost mark-up when buying stuff onsey twosey, and then the ever increasing shipping cost add on. The parts in most orders are probably the cheaper than the plastic bags, and surely cheaper than the labor to put the parts in the plastic bags. Back when I was at Peavey I bought numerous through hole components for well less than a penny. Modern SMD parts are even cheaper to make.

When I ran an engineering dept at Peavey I had sales reps begging me to let them buy me lunch every few weeks, now as a tiny  company I can't get time of day from these same chip companies.  Even more ironic is when I help a company design in a part, and they get all the love and attention from their local rep. They have to ask me, what kind of free stuff they should ask for when offered. 

JR

JohnRoberts said:
It is kind of painful to see the cost mark-up when buying stuff onsey twosey, and then the ever increasing shipping cost add on. The parts in most orders are probably the cheaper than the plastic bags, and surely cheaper than the labor to put the parts in the plastic bags. Back when I was at Peavey I bought numerous through hole components for well less than a penny. Modern SMD parts are even cheaper to make.

At work, everyone keeps a "it would be nice to have this but it's not vital ..." list, so when there's an inevitable overnight DigiKey order for one tiny part we can add those things to the order and not feel like we're not completely screwed over by the shipping costs.

-a

We're rather fortunate here in Dallas to have Mouser about an hour away. their cheapest shipping option (about $6?) is next day. I still delay orders though, waiting to see if I need other parts.

We also have Tanner Electronics here in Dallas, lots and lots of parts, but the most frustrating thing is they have very little 3.3V stuff. (like logic and fixed regulators etc). They have however, started selling Raspberry Pi's and so on... pretty interesting stuff actually.

/R

I get DigiKey and Mouser shipments for free - if the order is over EUR 70.
Given this I nearly always over-order - if one part is missing (in larger quantities this can happen) it would be a pain.

Dont forget about the fun of opening the part you actually ordered rather than the part you thought you ordered!

Or the... "I ordered 2 parts for one project, but I forgot to order 5 of the same value for my current project" syndrome.  ;D

Is having to walk into Radio Shack the next day and pay $4 for something that would have cost me 65 cents through the vendor.

Next on the list is hitting the Update Cart button and watching the screen freeze up . . . . . . after you've just entered 47 lines . . . . of those mega digit part #s.  (Mouser  :mad:)

note to self: Hit update after every line and save after every ten or so.

I am part of the category "wake up in the middle of the night suddendly remembering what you forgot to order".

And it just happened tonight. :(

Things were so much easier when,fixing an amp, I could get by with EL34,EL84,6V6,6AQ5 and KT88s (6550s to US people) for outputs.
These class D and switchmode days I seem to discover yet another different type of mosfet,BJT or IGBT in everything I open up.
Must have at least 100 types - drives me nuts (but keeps RS and E14 in business).
M

Latest posts

Back