The Ultimate Analogue Desk

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abechap024 said:
looks like most digital potentiometers don't have very good power handling. What if we used the digital potentiometer to control an LED and vacol. Certainly not a new idea, but it should work I imagine....
Maybe just build it all in to one easy to use package :)
AC

Digital pots don't need power handling to control audio.

JR

Gettestudios said:
Likewise my "radical"  approach to cooling and longevity. Liquid cooling. As engineers the biggest issue when dealing with design in both anolog and digital circuits is heat and how just having it present affects the operation and life span of the unit. if we can truly regulate the environment/temp (by keeping it at the ideal operating temp at all times) this opens the door to outside the box thinking on design. Just something to ponder....

I thought about liquid cooling for power amps, and while a much better candidate than a console, it still didn't make sense (leave the water or messy liquids far away from your circuitry).

Yes, the console you describe will make plenty of heat, but it will be spread out, so even modest forced air flow will keep heat under control. You do need to factor air flow into your mechanical design.

JR

I will second and third the advice you already got to look at similar existing designs. You can mix and match different amounts of channels, buses, EQs, etc, but first you must master how to manage the digital control of the sundry analog paths.

Break down the consoles into the short list of tasks or functions you must accomplish, then check them off.

#1 digitally controlled analog mic preamps are already solved for you with off the shelf IC solutions.

#2 Select among the sundry approaches for digitally controlled analog EQ and pick one. The canned solutions here are too low fidelity for console use, so you will need to roll something more sophisticated. 

#3 fader and pan. Lots of published art on this.. pick one.

#4 bus assignment  (bus itself can be conventional technology)

#5 human control interface (rotary encoders, motorized pots, touch strips, whatever).
======

Look at a full featured big dog console, and figure out how you will deal with every pot and switch... perhaps you don't need to automate everything? You have received some pretty discouraging advice, but in every case it is coming from personal experience of how hard this stuff was for us to do, not some blind criticism of your capability. Proceed with caution. IMO you need to do a lot of homework before starting to worry about metal and PCBs. 

good luck

JR

How about this for readout of lets say a snapshot of the controlsurface:
Use standard analog electronics for all the circuitry but use pots with an additional linear gang. For a snapshot/readout you could switch an ADC with a multiplexer/counter circuit from one pot to the next to read out what the additional track says. These data can be the basis for memorizing pots, something similar could be done with switches when you use them with an additional pole for position control. For switches it´s enough when a flag is set, no ADC necessary. X switch-positions can be stored in a word with X bits.
If you do something in that style a recall would be manual. The automation system shows the channel with all stored position values (hopefully visualized in a channelstrip on a TFT) and the user has to adjust everything himself. That´s pretty basic but a lot of work to do if you start from scratch.

Helter- I will look deeper into that idea

JR-But u must admit Liquid cooled does sound cool! But u r very right, not enough gain to justify the amount of time and safety precaution to truly use it.

I never planned to start working PCB's immediately as this is quite literally that beginning phase of the idea. In a few days i will be going back out on tour for 4 more mos, I do not think the tour bus or the hotel room will work all that well as a test lab (but you can be amazed at what can be done in those environments if the needs arise, lol)

I do like the "project management" approach presented, it offers a very logical way to identify key features, points of study/gaps in my own knowledge base i need to expand on and more importantly, keeps everything focused.

I do take everything expressed here to heart, i know it was said with good intention (even if my inner child did not like reading it  :) )

Even my some what left brain idea of liquid cooling, the key question even in a dream desk is "Does the net gain of implementation net a great enough result to justify the cost?"  of-course many would even argue to say that should apply to the whole idea.  lol

All projects must have a "design goal" something that helps keep focus so that the jewels in the weeds do not distract us from the big picture. They say they are best stated in the least amount of words possible....

Design Goal: A digitally controlled fully automated large format analog console, with a focus on upgradability.

What often plagues current and past digital solutions(not all of them) is that the hardware at some point (usually quicker then most manufactures would like and clearly reflected in resale value) becomes obsolete. there must be an easy upgrade path for the key elements IE: Embedded devices, Processor, software etc. The digital aspect of this design does not pass any audio signal (yet never know could always add a bank AD/DA to/from DAW) which should add to its longevity, but i believe foolish not to plan for it. Likewise and more importantly my greater focus is on the analog elements (MicPre, EQ, Dyn, etc) to be modular, on there own PCB's. This would allow many possibilities to taylor channels sonic signatures to a taste or need (any current design eq,mic pre, comp, etc can be implemented into the console easily). It will also provide a very easy way to upgrade/update the analogue signal path as better technology presents itself. However i do not want a "modular" designed work surface. (IE 500 series, honestly would be a great deal of headache trying to get digital control in that format) Which leads me to my first real design decision.. The control surface will be just that a control surface (IE ICON) all analogue cards will be mounted in a rack. (IE CS3000, thanks by the way for bringing that up, been a while since i had seen one) My vision leads to a 72 fader knob per function control surface (the feel and look of analog). I realize by doing this i open a another heavy door. The creation or utilization of a current protocol that will be needed to communicate at a fast enough rate with the rack of cards over a reasonable amount of cable or dare i say it fibre.

Sorry was thinking aloud but it feels good to have started.... Am i at least presenting a better picture for everyone to see what i am going for?

0dbfs said:
Will pcb's and full kits be available to forum members?

Best,
j

Probably, accompanied by a mortgage application form.

Anyhow, I'll catch on Jensenmann's comments.

There will be a huge design issue in terms of module space.  A servo stuck behind, say a modest 2 gang potentiometer on the EQ will have a depth of at least 50mm and you don't want any audio path near that.

Anyhow, since money is no issue  ;D I would have each servo with its own micro.

Both Chea and Jensenman Got my mind wondering a bit....

On the Modular design concept i stated earlier i in some ways remove the idea of moving pots and faders(motorized) by putting the analog cards elsewhere. However it does open another possibility. We all know that VCA's add artifacts we do not like and i am looking at the PGA solution. BUT Given the spec of any pre any eq any dyn can be implemented into the console i introduced another "problem", basicly control.
The control element of each module needs to be that separate. Hear me out. Instead of building a mic pre with all the control elements on it (in the form of vca, pga what ever), we build a control module that will work with any mic pre design. IE we know all mic pres have a gain, pad, phantom power, phase, HPF.

The control module for mic pre would have all those controls alloted for and an easy molex type connection between pre board and control board. this simplifies the PCB layout for what ever mic pre design. To handle the "pot" duties could we not design/build/ or may already exist a motor driven pot? no shaft required for knobs, due to the mere fact human hands would never touch it. A good pot, simple gear mechanism, small motor, decoder for location reference, motor driver.... hmmmmmmm

Just repeat this idea through each module, EQ DYN AUX Send and Master fader......

Alps has motorised potentiometers but you have to order in quantity.

You want to design your own? I have designed a couple in the past. It will cost you around $50K including the tooling.

sahib -  ;D i can always count on you to give me a cost factor! ok while we are at it, i am in the process of looking for suppliers in general to keep my self informed on what technology is available and what the costs associated with it are... got any suggestions? IE: TFT screens various sizes, Digital encoders  etc....

Easiest for prototyping is suplliers like RS, farnell. DigiKey etc.

If the ones they have don't fit then contact the manufacturers for full product range.

I have about fivehundred 10K linear feedback potentiometers from Murata and another fivehundred M51660L servo IC left over. If you want them I'll do a good deal  ;D. Feedback pots are from the same batch. I connected them back to back for 5K, which also theoretically neutralised the non linearity. I say theoretically because I did not really make any comparative test of the amount of non linearity between a single 10K and dual (paralleled) 5K.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for discussing techniques and topologies but for me the idea of designing, and more importantly building a mixer in this magnitude is a wild goose chase.

I really like the Idea of building interchangeable building blocks.  Like were modules can all be interchangable.
That way we won't have to spend so much time designing, and people could plug and play for choice.

Also I think our main battle here is a digital one no? the Analog stuff  will be easy once we know how we want to control it all.

We could have standard digital protocols and interfaces for each kind of plug in module, all standard genertic maybe as follows:

Digital Control Parameters  
Mic Pre Module : Gain, Phase, Pad (3 parameters)

EQ Module: In/out, HighSelf, Highshelf FREQ, HighSelf Gain, lowSelf, lowshelf FREQ, lowSelf Gain
Band1 -4 FREQ, Band 1-4 Q, Band 1-4 Gain (19 parameters)

Etc...

Also bear in mind, If we are building generic digital control units to interface with analog circuits, we don't have to define exactly what each parameter does right? What exactly each parameter controls could be changed with software I imagine. So just as long as we have enough parameters for each given analog design. Obviously we would need much more parameters for a EQ than a MIC PRE. Then for the bussing  we would need 48 of so. But I'm sure there are ways to simply the bussing board. Maybe we could use only ONE parameter and then have the value of the parameter (1 -244? or whatever the resolution) turn the buss on and off.  Possibly.

But then it comes full circle, why have a control surface when you could control everything from a computer, and use any one of the hundreds of Digital Control surfaces available, Or build our own.

I've always heard its a good idea to keep analog and digital circuits separated whenever possible. They all have different needs and designs to work at their best.

and then have the computer control all the analog circuitry? Saves a lot of headache of the motors and knobs no?

Just thinking out loud.
AC

Because either way we do it we are basically:

Digital control surface ---> Some sort of computer (HAL) ---> analog circuitry

even if we have motors on every single knob I think the above still applies no?

AC - You got exactly what i was saying in reference to assigning control standards to each "section" of the console. This would open up the sonic signature to be what ever the user wanted (wether it be 70's pres, EQ's, Dyn or clone NEVE, SSL etc) Basically borrowing some of the idea behind the 500 series with the added features of digital control.

The Surface for me is still very much a build aspect, there will be no moving pots (analogue anyway) just a bunch of encoders, ie icon, but would be a knob/fader/switch per function per channel layout, in other words look just like an analogue console.

It could be PC/MAC controlled in a DAW, or using existing controllers on the market, maybe something for future users (i for one do not want to mix by mouse) How cool would that be 72 ch analogue desk in a rack... lol be allot of racks

My last reference to motorized pots, is that they would be mounted inside the case with the analogue cards, they would be controlled by the encoders on the control surface. Albeit a bit extreme. i admit that, comes down to the performance offered in the other solutions, VCA/PGA or what ever else we have yet to discover...

BUT at least now we have building blocks to start on, in at least theory

HAha! Yea Right on
I'm getting excited about this. Because we all love the recal-ability of DAWs but love that analog sound. This would be a squashing of the 2

And we could have different "plug ins" that work just like TDM or RTAS or VST but use virtually no cpu because they just send control signals to their better analog half. Plus we could make them look like the gear they are emulating :D lol
That way totally easy integration into whatever workstation

I have it drawn out but I invision:

A big fan cooled box with one firewire going to computer
in the box is 5 compartments for:
Analog Mic Pres/Line in
Analog EQs
Analog Compressors
Analog Matrixing
Analog Buss Amps/outputs

We have it so none of the redundent contol chips have to be on each analog module. Put another way,
all the control chips and VCAS, Digital Pots, any other method of devised control are all in the box, so when we want to build a new analog circuit we don't need to buy more digital control chips to put on the module. The unit should have some repeatable format so we can use the same design for many different options.

Didn't they have something like this in the 80's?

Ad as far as expense for DIY. saying you had one of these "boxes" how much cheaper will it be to make new equipment? I know personally the cost of a build is mostly case and knob and potentiometers ETC. I've dreamed about the day I won't have to do metal work! have all the knobs in THE BOX lol!

AC - ILMAO were are essentially saying the same thing! All control related aspects on a deferent PCBs permanently mounted in the "box" with a pre defined PCB format and pin out per module type.

A challenge here is to get it all to fit in racks neatly and in a way it will not effect quality of signal. (72 ch, 24-48 bus inserts etc) is going to fill allot of racks. However it could be designed around a block format IE: blocks of 12 CH of inputs, even in that format it will fill allot of rack real estate! May have to go to a 24 ch per block to make it realistic. This was all summing can be done per block then cascaded in the master block.

It would be the ultimate plug-in format, and being here at the forum totally open infrastructure to allow other to innovate as well.

In order to get the DAW control and flow we would have to change the back-end a bit, were as i am looking for literally a desk in a rack remote controlled, you are looking for a i/0 option and processing for DAW's.... However they both could easily be developed concurrently

Joel

Can i make a suggestion to just scrap the mic pre all together? I think the mic pre market is already way overflated today with just about anything you can imagine. Most people have pres they go to for certain things anyway. A modular line in console would the the shizzle. Forget recall or if you had to have recall, why not something like the 8816? A snapshot of where u last left off at? Automation ITB is too easy not to take advantage of. Basically if you can build a modular line console, that alone would be a great accomplishment.

A good point. Remote preamps would make sense. Keep these sensitive devices in the recording room, away from other el. and magn. noise sources. Short cables from the mikes to the pres without 100m multicores inbetween.

JohnRoberts said:
I will second and third the advice you already got to look at similar existing designs. You can mix and match different amounts of channels, buses, EQs, etc, but first you must master how to manage the digital control of the sundry analog paths.

Break down the consoles into the short list of tasks or functions you must accomplish, then check them off.

I don't see why people panick in front of big project like these. John just gave the best advice here. Brake down the whole in its pieces and then work on these chunks one at a time, all of a sudden, the project becomes less daunting.
My sister is Crossing Canada from Vancouver to Montreal by bicycle!!. She is no competition cyclist and she is 51! She will succeed one pedal push at a time!! (5200km!!!)
Here is an inspiration heh!?

Look at a full featured big dog console, and figure out how you will deal with every pot and switch... perhaps you don't need to automate everything? You have received some pretty discouraging advice, but in every case it is coming from personal experience of how hard this stuff was for us to do, not some blind criticism of your capability. Proceed with caution. IMO you need to do a lot of homework before starting to worry about metal and PCBs. 

good luck

JR

Here I will disagree slightly with JR and yes, I think you need to automate everything. But the one thing you don't need though is one control per function on the desk itself. Take a look at the way Yamaha O2R and Tascam DM4800.... You may not like these products but the way they use the board real estate and the ergonomics of it is a good starting point.

I think in some ways Euphonix had the right idea but a somewhat bad implementation. I like the idea of a remote rack with all the audio and a super duper control surface. Here are a few questions....
When is the last time you tweeked 2 or 3 equaliser at the same time ?  or DYNs  at the same time?

Ha Yess.... that is what I thought.... :)

So instead of having 10K boutons all crammed in as few square inches as possible and you need the help of Tinkerbelle to move a parameter, just make one bigish control panel for the EQ, the aux sends matrix, the bus assigns, DYNs etc...
Use nice sized knobs and switches and leave a comfortable space between each control. Easier to operate and identify.

We will need to design a fast approach to select onto which channel we want to work without going trough sub-menus and such.

Here is a few thoughts and ideas in no particular order about my various experiences with all kind of consoles and controllers....

The big boys are.... too big!  Yes, it is VERY impressive but these monsters creates their own set of acoustical and ergonomic problems. A console 12 feet long and 2 tonnes will actually play funnies with the acoustics of the room it sits in. Also, you are constantly moving from the sweet spot to tweek things.
And the knobs get so crammed that it becomes quite hard to identify quickly and then operate a control without moving the adjacent ones.

The way Yam and Tascam do it on their digital mixers is a very efficient way of adjusting everything. One "super" channel with all the buttons, encoders and leds, you never move from the sweet spot for mixing and you still have and almost instant access to everything.

By the way, having only one super channel will also tremendously reduce the amount of work the microprocessors and the communication bus load will have to catter with. I2C is quite sufficient for this.

Touch screens are nice, but they are no good in this environment for control and actual interaction. They are formidable on the other side at replacing a mouse provided that they are placed within reach.

Mimicking faders on touch screen does not work, I tried!

I use a Mackie universal remote and it is quite good but there are a few things I would do different.
One of my beef is that 8 faders is not enough, 12 is the ideal in my opinion, more is unnecessary.
I wish I was called in when they designed it!!  :)

The remote pres directly in the studio is indeed the way to go, and then the mixer is an all line mixer.

I use a track ball on the mixer, mouse are a hassle, but many do not like them (trackballs).

You will need 2 or 3, 19 inches monitors.
I use 2 PCs, one to run the daw (2 screens) and the other to run the remote, also 2 screens including one touch screen.
Communication is simply done with ethernet cable!

When I work, I do not like going from the Mackie remote, to the mouse, to the computer keyboard etc... Every command should be available just from the control surface.

#1 digitally controlled analog mic preamps are already solved for you with off the shelf IC solutions.

#2 Select among the sundry approaches for digitally controlled analog EQ and pick one. The canned solutions here are too low fidelity for console use, so you will need to roll something more sophisticated. 

#3 fader and pan. Lots of published art on this.. pick one.

#4 bus assignment  (bus itself can be conventional technology)

#5 human control interface (rotary encoders, motorized pots, touch strips, whatever).

Busses should all be balanced and low impedance, not just single ended, with the usual 10K resistor to a inverting summing amp. Too much crap picked along the way. Unbalanced and medium impedance is fine within a short path (say less than 4-5 feet) but passed that point there is too much problems. So every bus has to be lo-z and balanced.

The human interface will be a challenge, but a lot can be done just by building a mock-up and actually visualizing using the thing. Go ahead, make a make-believe "session" with it, see how it works, move things around and see how you like it.

By the way, if you never complete the project, we will all end up benefiting here of well designed module, tricks, lessons etc...
So instead of discouraging Gettestudio, I for one will pitch in as much as I can as I know there is something good and nice that will emerge and be useful for me.
Luc

blue_luke said:
Here I will disagree slightly with JR and yes, I think you need to automate everything. But the one thing you don't need though is one control per function on the desk itself. Take a look at the way Yamaha O2R and Tascam DM4800.... You may not like these products but the way they use the board real estate and the ergonomics of it is a good starting point.
For the record, I am not advocating 1 to 1 control duplication, that is just silly.

When I last gave this serious thought in the '90s I was leaning toward a very lean tiered (by master/sub group organization) control architecture.

Now 30 years later, I would lose the physical controls entirely, and interface with some soft control surface architecture.

My ultimate would be VR glasses and a game boy glove so you could have any virtual surface you can imagine and program up.

Note: this control front end could interface with both digital or digital controlled analog, back ends, but the analog back end will be harder to design, more expensive, and have limited flexibility compared to DSP.
Busses should all be balanced and low impedance, not just single ended, with the usual 10K resistor to a inverting summing amp. Too much crap picked along the way. Unbalanced and medium impedance is fine within a short path (say less than 4-5 feet) but passed that point there is too much problems. So every bus has to be lo-z and balanced.
This is console design in a microcosm...  I first wrote on the subject back in 1980 and even then I listed several approaches to sum bus topologies, with pros and cons.

In this case it very much depends on the actual back end hardware. We won't be summing signals from across 6 feet of physical channel strips, but perhaps feeds comping from a couple inches, with sources cleanly referenced to the same ground.

The optimal bus topology "depends".
By the way, if you never complete the project, we will all end up benefiting here of well designed module, tricks, lessons etc...
So instead of discouraging Gettestudio, I for one will pitch in as much as I can as I know there is something good and nice that will emerge and be useful for me.
Luc

Not to quibble, but you are being optimistic about what we will end up with. Enthusiasm does not automatically insure results while we all wish Joel the best outcome. Not to sound repetitious, but IMO Joel needs to stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before.. when/if possible try to chase down the folks who did those earlier designs and ask, because everybody will have a short list of what they would do different the next time around, but don't ask them why there wasn't a next time, or he will surely be discouraged.

JR

PS: Good luck to sis.. I have run a marathon and it does indeed come down to putting one foot in front of the other.. (and effort).

Back