The Vaccine

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In no great surprise to me, Moderna has announced that they are working on a combo Flu shot/Covid Booster. Need to get that annual revenue booster.

JR

Yes, targeted foremost at risk groups, and designed as a combined shot so that people who went to get the annual flu shots in the past don't have to go twice now.

They're going to pivot this cronyvirus vax/booster into the new flu shots. Canada has already PAID (it's not free) for shots through 2023 and potentially 60million more for 2024. Anyone has a chart showing flu shot injection trajectory going back the last 2 decades? I'd be curious if those who opt to get a flu shot are falling off or if this is totally unrelated. This isn't about health, not sure it ever was.

While flu deaths do not make headline news, according to the CDC, US flu deaths last year's flu season were 26k-53k, this season is projected at 18k-29k deaths.

No... Covid vaccine doesn't cure the flu, but no doubt some of the reported Covid deaths would have been flu deaths, and the mask wearing-hand cleaning discipline surely reduced spread of influenza. Masks might work for but advice wrt public mask wearing to mitigate flu is still unclear.

I am generally unenthusiastic about getting flu shots, the last time I was talked into a flu shot was my former doctor that I liked (a few years ago). I might be more receptive to get a flu/covid combo shot.

JR

If you look at CDC data for COVID deaths you'll find many also tested positive for P&I (pneumonia and influenza)
If we compare 2020 P&I deaths with years prior is it greater or lower? (why weren't those who tested positive for flu treated for flu? were they?)

(please note that many countries stopped counting weekly flu at about the same week, weird)

I've taken 2 flu shots in my life and both of them knocked me on my butt (I was 18 and 19)
never again

Last edited:
To put the higher transmission in perspective, each person infected with the original SARS-CoV-2 virus was likely to infect 2.5 to 3 others. Someone infected with the Delta variant is likely to infect eight or nine people, who in turn can infect another eight or nine people, and so on, triggering exponential spread.

And from a comment:
With an R0 of 8-9, that implies herd immunity would require just south of 90% be immune, and be immune (for now, at least) to the Delta variant.
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticl...MSCPEDIT&uac=37266AR&impID=3515088&faf=1#vp_1
I still wear a mask in public places to protect myself, whatever that protection may be. Since only 23% in my county are vaccinated, and almost no one wears a mask (even though the unvaccinated are supposed to), that means any positives are spreading the virus, and I'm guessing that viral load plays a part in both catching the disease, and it's severity, even if vaccinated.

The delta variant is much more communicable, so it is running rampant across the world.

It is apparently not very deadly to individuals less than 50YO, but old farts like me should worry.

This might be a good year to diet since being overweight is a significant risk factor for Covid (and just about every other disease).

I carry a spit mask in my pocket. In fact I ran one through the washing machine in my pocket and it survived intact.

If you don't hear from me... you'll know.

JR

PS; The news is trumpeting this as the next existential threat. The stock market tanked today on the new delta scare, but the only stock I was thinking of buying (Moderna) was up today... bummer.

Read some virologist explaining that the viral load of delta is ten times that of the first-generation virus. And it's also a bit higher than B1.1.7. Also, it has more spikes, so can dock onto ACE with higher efficiency/probability. In turn this means that less virus exposure is needed to get infected.

From what I understood, even fully vaccinated individuals, after catching the virus, albeit asymptomatic, can unknowingly contribute to spreading the virus to some degree. So continuing to wear masks when among fully vaccinated, and even for the fully vaccinated themselves, makes a lot of sense for now.

The delta variant is much more communicable, so it is running rampant across the world.

It is apparently not very deadly to individuals less than 50YO, but old farts like me should worry.

This might be a good year to diet since being overweight is a significant risk factor for Covid (and just about every other disease).

And there will be more variants after this, and it goes on and on. I wonder what the long term effect(s) of the vaccine will be. I have never met a doctor who really wanted to cure anything. Afterall a patient cured is income lost.

Last edited:
more contagious less virulent like in all the history of viruses
with hundreds of millions of "cases" that are now benefiting from natural immunity having recovered
weird how all the vax'd (Boris/Javid) are testing positive while the not vax'd aren't dying in the streets (remember the videos out of China?)

And my favourite summer vegetable is eggplant fried in olive oil with lots of garlic and a pinch of salt ; )

There seems to be a lot of broad sweeping generalizations accusing entire groups of people of bad behavior, that seems to be what passes for normal discourse these days.

Interesting exchanges.... I've been called a bullshitter. Lets play nice.
====
No doubt big pharma does not make as much money from cures as they do from chronic medication. We recall the story about the doctor who determined that stomach ulcers were curable, he was not celebrated by the drug industry that was happily treating ulcers as a chronic condition. That said there have been a handful of absolute cures for major diseases that while expensive are arguably worthwhile.

The Covid cash cow will come from annual booster shots. Moderna is already looking at a combination flu/covid shot.

======
The logic advising all to get vaccinated for covid seems unimpeachable, but I already got my 2 jabs.

JR

Theres a phrase a scientist friend of mine likes to use to describe it , 'Sub clinical' .
Look at the medications against Hiv/Aids , virtually all major players in pharma have a piece of the pie , its worth a lot of money , why would they want a simple cure , its not in their interest . Is it just co-incidence an airliner full of delegates and top scientists researching a cure for the disease fell out of the sky for no apparent reason ?

Similar case with antidepressants/antianxiety pills , I not denying it may work for some in the shorter term , but theres many more end up on a rollercoaster ride from one med to the next, addicted without a doubt ,to stuff that doctors will swear blind isnt addictive .

The way the human mind repairs damage from traumatic life events hasnt changed in all the years we've existed as human beings , its a gradual process where people with the help of trusted friends and maybe councillors or psycho therapists come to terms with stuff , often peoples stories are an inditement of the very system thats proporting to 'help' them . The modern solution is pills to dumb people down , no attempt at a 'talking cure' due to lack of resources , keep the patient 'sub clinical' for the rest of their life . I can go on and on with stories of how victims of sexual abuse(often within the family) in this country were systematically discredited by being badged mentally ill , then wacked full to the gills with substances that had extremely bad physical and psychological side effects , they werent mad to begin with , dumbed down and addicted by pills and denied the oppertunity to come to terms with their experiences they wound up crazier than a shithouse rat in the end .

There is a growing awareness nowadays , with people setting up support groups online or locally for people who feel the need to talk to someone or are feeling depressed ,anxious or otherwise out of sorts with minimal medical intervention .

Sad. You've led a very sheltered, ignorant life.

Any opinions on an osteopathic vs allopathic for a primary Care Dr.? I remember seeing a DO one time when I had some back goofiness going on and it was a distinctly different experience from seeing my regular MD at the time....really hands on stuff.... Maybe just different people is all it was...

I'm all ears. Tell me about my life, that should make for some good reading!
You obviously haven't met many doctors, or you would have run across some who are in medicine for reasons other than moneygrubbing, which by the connotation of your post you accuse all doctors of. You can't paint a group with a broad brush if you've only had minimal contact.

It may be that you, your family and acquaintances have been in excellent health and haven't needed medical care, so you have very limited experience with the medical profession. That would be great!

Or it may be that you or others you know suffer from chronic, presently incurable conditions, such as hypertension, COPD, diabetes, chronic pain, arthritis, psychiatric illnesses, heart disease, and a multitude of others, and you keep going to the doctor who keeps prescribing medications and other therapies, but the problem never resolves. Most doctors would love to cure these and forgo the chronic remuneration, but it's just not possible.

I know there is a small segment of the medical profession that is only in it for the money - fuck them - but being able to "cure" a person of his illness is a great feeling for most physicians I have known, and it's what most of us strive for. Unfortunately the majority of human afflictions are not curable.

Any opinions on an osteopathic vs allopathic for a primary Care Dr.? I remember seeing a DO one time when I had some back goofiness going on and it was a distinctly different experience from seeing my regular MD at the time....really hands on stuff.... Maybe just different people is all it was...
MD's and DO's have essentially the same allopathic training, and the DO's also have (I don't know it it's still as much as it used to be) some training in physical manipulation, which can be effective at times. I've worked with several DO's, and they were just as competent medically as any MD. There are good ones and bad ones in either group.

My first day of medical school I was told, "You know what they call the person who graduates at the bottom of the class? 'Doctor'."

So many issues are caused by lack of proper diet and exercise, and thus can be reversed (cured) by proper diet and exercise. Not all, but many doctors only focus on symptom management without addressing the underlying causes. Nutrition should be a major tool in a doctor's toolbox, too often it doesn't exist at all.

We have seen the same thing with the pandemic. It's all about the vaccine but very little about strengthening the immune system.

I've also found doctors who are not paid on a per patient basis to be more interested in actually curing patients.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back