The Vaccine

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Odd, my CanSino dose only affected my arm and made me feel slightly tired and with a headache, but many friends had high fever, body ache, hand trembling, etc... even after 3 days they were still experiencing side effects. I guess it depends on your own inmune system or your own body, my body seems to respond quite well to the vaccine.

My mom got her first shot of the Astra Zeneca some time ago, she didn't experience side effects, but many people did, its a shot in the dark if you ask me...

A great thing about the CanSino vaccine is that its a single dose, however, I read that after 6 months you have to reinforce it, I haven't read how much time the Moderna, Aztra Zeneca, Pfizer, Sputnik vaccines remain effective.

Long term effectiveness is unknown because it takes a long time to confirm.

I have long speculated that big pharma would want to make this an annual revenue stream.

JR

Long term efficacy can be somewhat predicted by similar results from similar vaccines that have been in the field for a while.

I got the Pfizer, both times had low energy and general crappiness the day following. Interesting data point, when you donate blood there's a test for Covid antibodies. Up until I was vaccinated, all of those tests came back negative. Post-vaccination, I'm showing antibodies. Confirmation!

In the UK you can walk into any chemist and pick up a box of Covid-19 test kits (pack of 7)
This is what we Brits call irony.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 8
I read an article about using dogs to diagnose COVID by smell... reportedly the dogs are more accurate than the test kits. One patient that the dogs said was positive and the test said negative, tested positive days later when tested the same patient the next time.

Dogs have remarkable sense of smell. That seems like a technology to pursue with microelectronics(?), while I won't hold my breath.

JR

Well we have two nostrils , so sense of smell could have directional information , apparently elephants can determine difference of arrival times of subsonic noise with their feet which they can derive directional information from . Natures clever , these inate abillities occur for good reasons , on the other hand us humans seem to be continually going through a crash and burn loop of the latest and greatest idea and in the heel of the hunt we systematically fail to look ahead to any potential downsides until it jumps up and bites our bollocks off.

With the vaccines generally they are designed to trigger your immune system. The stronger your immune system, the worse you will fee after, and vice versa.

I heard that with the MRNA vaccines many felt fine after the first shot but on the second had more serious side effects, while the Astra people tended to feel more unwell after the first dose , with less reports of side effects from the second.

Well we have two nostrils , so sense of smell could have directional information , apparently elephants can determine difference of arrival times of subsonic noise with their feet which they can derive directional information from . Natures clever , these inate abillities occur for good reasons , on the other hand us humans seem to be continually going through a crash and burn loop of the latest and greatest idea and in the heel of the hunt we systematically fail to look ahead to any potential downsides until it jumps up and bites our bollocks off.
Way to keep it on topic... OK I give up.

It is very unlikely that the brain could discern directional information from left and right odor receptors located so close together. In fact since the left and right receptors feed and are processed by our left and right brain, they exhibit different sensitivity related to those brain differences.

JR

Way to keep it on topic... OK I give up.

It is very unlikely that the brain could discern directional information from left and right odor receptors located so close together. In fact since the left and right receptors feed and are processed by our left and right brain, they exhibit different sensitivity related to those brain differences.

JR
Sorry to prolong the off-topic-ness, but dogs certainly can smell in stereo and, apparently, so can humans:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6642887
And, electronic (diag)noses have been in the works for some time:

https://www.nature.com/articles/nrmicro823

I remain unconvinced. Human sound localization uses both arrival time cues, and frequency response differences (from head shading and pinnae transforms). I don't see any parallel with human olfaction. Canine olfaction sensitivity is remarkable.

JR

The testing methodology actually seemed reasonable, but maybe "stereo" is too strong a word

I guess that means "smell-o-vision" movies will need to track smells in stereo. :unsure:

==

To almost bring this on topic... a symptom of COVID reportedly is loss of sense of smell... During the heat of the pandemic I would monitor my sense of smell every morning. As far as I can tell I only smell in mono...

JR

I believe the nose also contains other sensory apparatus , certain things like pheromones are detected via this other neural pathway , totally seperately to regular sense of smell/taste . I'm not an expert but I'd be surprised if subtle directional cues werent hard wired into this system , the nose knows as they say ;)

It probably wouldnt be too difficult to deliver a seperate air supply to both sides of the nose and check resulting brain(as well as other phisological) activity as levels of these signaling chemicals are varied .
Pheromone - Wikipedia .

Organisms evolve in responce to needs , if a mutation turns out to be of use it seems a 'selfish gene' kicks in to preserve it , conversly as we no longer need to munch foliage all day everyday the appendix has basically become redundant and shrinks. If having two nostils didnt serve a purpose why would it have evolved that way in the first place ?

Ok I may be accused of thread drift , but I think this is an interesting subject we've unearthed so why try limit the scope of the conversation .

I believe the nose also contains other sensory apparatus , certain things like pheromones are detected via this other neural pathway , totally seperately to regular sense of smell/taste . I'm not an expert but I'd be surprised if subtle directional cues werent hard wired into this system , the nose knows as they say ;)
Pheromone detection is indeed a separate olfactory system, slower responding and evolved to support longer term sexual attraction for reproduction, not short term self defense (like smelling a predator)
It probably wouldnt be too difficult to deliver a seperate air supply to both sides of the nose and check resulting brain(as well as other phisological) activity as levels of these signaling chemicals are varied .
Pheromone - Wikipedia .
left brain/right brain smell differences have been studied.
Organisms evolve in responce to needs , if a mutation turns out to be of use it seems a 'selfish gene' kicks in to preserve it , conversly as we no longer need to munch foliage all day everyday the appendix has basically become redundant and shrinks. If having two nostils didnt serve a purpose why would it have evolved that way in the first place ?
One benefit may be redundancy to cover if one side fails. The human body supports multiple redundant systems.
Ok I may be accused of thread drift , but I think this is an interesting subject we've unearthed so why try limit the scope of the conversation .
Indeed it is interesting.

I had visions of a clean vaccine thread only containing factual vaccine information... but they want ice water in hell... :cool:

JR

I had my second Moderna shot a few weeks ago. I had side effects on the second day after the shot both times. After the second shot was worse. Felt like I had the flu. The sweats and chills and vomiting. Yuck. I was fine on the third day.

There was a bit of data analysis at the WaPo today (I won't link so that no one has the opportunity to complain about paywalls) that indicates the infection rate among the unvaccinated is almost as high as it was in mid-January. So while overall numbers look good, if you're unvaccinated your risk is still very high. (And it might get worse still as new variants gain traction.)

In mid January in Ireland we were upto around 8000 cases a day , the graph now seems to be a flat line for the last couple of months , somewhere between around 250-500 cases a day . What we have seen is a substantial reduction in numbers of deaths and hospitalisations due to infection . Of course the vaccine is having an effect but also the vulture that is covid has probably picked off many of the most vulnerable already. Its hard to make sense of the stats and take into account all the contributory factors . Theres no doubt about it, being a small island nation has saved us from the worst of it .

We now stand at just below 5000 deaths in a population of 5.5 million .

Last edited:
In mid January in Ireland we were upto around 8000 cases a day , the graph now seems to be a flat line for the last couple of months , somewhere between around 250-500 cases a day . What we have see is a substantial reduction in numbers of deaths and hospitalisations due to infection . Of course the vaccine is having an effect but also the vulture that is covid has probably picked off many of the most vulnerable already. Its hard to make sense of the stats and take into account all the contributory factors . Theres no doubt about it, being a small island nation has saved us from the worst of it .

We now stand at just below 5000 deaths in a population of 5.5 million .
I read that COVID is going down in some places due to the weather, but another contagion is to be expected, the black fungus thing is truly scary, this pandemic is reaching biblical status....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back