Throwing business away

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I am looking to upgrade my ageing PC. I want to retain the SS hard drives. I just want a new tower, bigger power supply, new motherboard, processor and memory and no operating system. So I go to the web site of this company that lets you configure just what you need. I did this and then it automatically checks your configuration is OK. In my case it was fine except it said I had to include a hard drive (even though the site let me select none). So I contacted the company and explained the situation. They replied "As system integrators we do not offer computers without at least one hard drive." So I replied, explaining in detail exactly why I did not need to buy a hard drive from them and today they replied "I’m afraid it is not something we offer. I’m sorry if this is not convenient but it is company policy."

Duh?

Ian

Your aging PC has solid state drives? Perhaps they are trying to avoid troubleshooting conflicts if customers use their own components and they don't work well together.
===
I am looking at replacing my small mac that I use for internet communication (like this). My old mini isn't that old (2014) but can be balky starting up some mornings.

I have an external hard disk I purchased years ago for backup of my several computers (mostly older PCs), now I can't access it.... :eek: I ordered a cheap Chinese 250GB SSD external drive ($35) to rip a copy of my mini memory before I replace it.

Computers suck, but no computer sucks worse.

JR

If they consider themselves integrators and not retailers I can understand their position. They want to supply a working machine. They have already done the work of testing the hardware combinations they supply. They don't want to have to troubleshoot hardware they didn't supply.

You could look at what they supply, buy it a la carte and do the systems integration yourself.

If they consider themselves integrators and not retailers I can understand their position. They want to supply a working machine. They have already done the work of testing the hardware combinations they supply. They don't want to have to troubleshoot hardware they didn't supply.

You could look at what they supply, buy it a la carte and do the systems integration yourself.
I understand that completely. However, despite insisting on supplying a hard drive, they were OK with me specifying no operating system so how could they test an empty hard drive?

Cheers

Ian

Your aging PC has solid state drives? Perhaps they are trying to avoid troubleshooting conflicts if customers use their own components and they don't work well together.
===
Yes, because I took out the old mechanical ones and replaced them with SS at the same time as I maxed out the RAM
Cheers

Ian

I understand that completely. However, despite insisting on supplying a hard drive, they were OK with me specifying no operating system so how could they test an empty hard drive?

Cheers

Ian
That doesn't make much sense.

It's a warranty problem. Suppose your old steam powered SSD burns out the PSU, or something of the kind...

A bit dumb of course, as new components can be added by the user too.

It's a warranty problem. Suppose your old steam powered SSD burns out the PSU, or something of the kind...

A bit dumb of course, as new components can be added by the user too.
Exactly, I one fried a motherboard by plugging in one of those mains bourne ethernet things into the ethernet port with the PC off and the ethernet thing powered by the mains.

Cheers

Ian

I swapped out the system drives on all my computers to SSD a good number of years ago . You'd be surprised how good even older computers with a fresh OS install onto SSD perform . I recently took a look at a friends computer , was originally Vista , she was hoodwinked into upgrading to WIN 10 , it became unusable after the 'Free Upgrade' , the average person just thinks something is worn out or damaged and replaces it , thats money in the bank for Microsoft and its partners in crime and feeds an ever growing heap of electronic detritus, yet there all on about going green and saving the planet , Polluter pays ,my arse they do , its some poor bastard down in a hole somewhere that really pays.

I never liked desktop PC's much due to all the fan noise , to that end I once tried to make a convection cooled Pentium by bolting on a massive lump of a heatsink , worked ( for a little while anyway) before it borked itself .

The replacement mini I'm looking at comes standard with SSD...

I don't expect much difference with my usage pattern but faster boot up will be OK. I don't sit around and wait for it now.

JR

Very strange that you could select no hard drive, but they make you buy a hard drive. They should take the “none” option out of that’s the policy.

The idea that they supply the drive to avoid any compatibility issues doesnt stand up in my experience , I think its purely a commercial decission ,to try and shift more boxes, ironically they might actually be throwing away business as the title of the post suggests .

Latest posts

Back