Transformerless Vari Mu Compressor build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a problem with my build. I've got +224V going into the STP10nk60ZFP, but only +95V going out. I couldn't find a fault with any of the surrounding parts. Bad MOSFET?

Pull the tubes and check if the voltage stays at 95V even without tubes. Then check that on main board R49, R50, R51, R52, R54 are correct value and D3 is 200V zener and not accidentally 100V zener. Also check that C35 and C40 are oriented correctly.

Last edited:
So it turns out I got a 100V zener after all. Mouser sent me two bags labelled identically to contain 200V zener each, but one of them had a 100V zener inside. And since there's a "2" written even on the 100V zener I assumed it to be the correct 200V one...

After a few minutes of warming up the voltage has crept up to +180V - enough I assume?

180V is just as it should be. Your heater voltage is a little bit low but not low enough where I would worry about it.

OK, it all checks out beautifully now (after 10 minutes or so I am getting +182V), except for the slighly lower V+.

There's only one problem: I couldn't get the Omron relay, so I bought another one (datasheet attached). However, even with R1 bridged it won't switch. It is a 24V DC type with 2880 ohm coil resistance, same pinout. Voltage at the relay entrance checks out as expected with the bypass switch (dis)engaged. Any idea what I can do?

Attachments

• RELAIS-RY(2).pdf
    42.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Looks to be almost identical to the Omron relay so it should work. Are D1 & D2 oriented correctly?

Looks to be almost identical to the Omron relay so it should work. Are D1 & D2 oriented correctly?
Yes, and the almost +24V can be measured at the cathode with bypass engaged. But the relay doesn't click and there is no continuity between the respective input and output pins...

Attachments

• Relay.jpg
    Relay.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 7
When the unit is powered off can you get some resistance measurement from the relay coils. Measure resistance across D1 or D2.

I am getting 125 ohm...

I've got more of those relays, and the ones not soldered in measure correctly (+/- 10% of 2880 ohm).

For some reason there is also a ca. 5 ohm resistance between the A- ground and the main PCB ground.

I am getting 125 ohm...

I've got more of those relays, and the ones not soldered in measure correctly (+/- 10% of 2880 ohm).

For some reason there is also a ca. 5 ohm resistance between the A- ground and the main PCB ground.
Low resistance from A- to GND is normal. R1 on PSU board sets that. I think it's like a filter/current limiter

The relay is probably busted...

Like paolomunarini said the 5 ohm between A- and main board GND is supposed to be there if the wiring is done according to the layout pictures.

There's 25 ohm between v+ and main PCB ground... 😬
If you have tubes in the sockets then that‘s the resistance of the cold heaters.

Your 125 ohm measurement is exactly what it should be when the tubes are plugged in the sockets. Could you do the measurement after taking tubes out of the sockets.

Last edited:
Also:
Try to measure the relays unmounted from the board.

Try to feed 24V with an external PSU to the coil and see if it switches.

Back