Tuners for a tap guitar

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

Somehow, the bigger tap guitar makers are able to find smaller-sized (i.e., guitar-sized) tuners that can handle both guitar and bass strings. Is this something they have special-made, or is there something out there I can buy? Stewmac were unable to help me. I tried calling them first.

I'm planning a tap guitar build. We'll see how well it turns out.

cool man.

here is a pic of a string box for  a 10 string chapman stick
xl__ncs-10.jpg

at .091 being the biggest string gauge  think you need just find tuners that fit that.

That's not really a spec given for tuner machines on anyone's web site, but I guess it gives me an idea of what to avoid.

It seems the number-one different between guitar and bass tuners, besides size, is that bass tuners are slotted instead of drilled. Maybe someone makes slotted guitar tuners as well...

I guess some fender are slotted... But couldn't you do some machining on them if they are big enoght?

JS

I'd given that some thought, but any machining that I can do would likely ruin the finish.

I have a feeling that tap guitar manufacturers get their tuners custom-made.

But if there is a factory making those they would be on some store... maybe a tap guitar manufacturer could sell them separetly...

JS

I'm actually wondering if I can engineer my own solution. My thought right now is to do a headless design with bridge tuners. I need to custom-make the bridge for this design anyway (non-standard string spacing), so what's one more bit of customization?

Although Scodiddly's idea sounds pretty workable.

I suppoused you'd already discarded this option because of aesthetics... mixed bridge sound nice... there are some individual bridge around for headless instuments so you don't to work so hard...

http://www.bass-parts.com/epages/61038859.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61038859/Products/ETS-TFSH/SubProducts/ETS-TFSH-0007

Headless_single_bridge_schwarz.jpg

And one from Strandbergs

tuner-colors1.gif

JS

The problem with those is that I need a 9mm center-to-center string spacing. Well, okay, I don't need that, per se, but that is my design decision, and is very typical of tap guitars.

Warr Guitars get theirs from Sperzel. They are very nice, because they lock.
The bass tuners are a different size from the guitar ones.
Don't know if they will sell to private parties, but they are nice folks who would probably answer a phone call.
Photos when done, please.  ;)

Latest posts

Back