Twitter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
It looks like Musk decided to finally buy Twitter for the original price ($44B). Everybody knows he paid too much, but he probably values his personal time that would be lost if he forced this deal to be litigated in court.

Hopefully Twitter will now be more supportive about free speech.

JR

Ah yes, Twitter (and the like), where free speech, politics, and full-blown crazy and purposeful BS converge for corporate profits. It’s amazing how critics of Twitter’s business choices, somehow supported the NFL’s 2018 national anthem standing policy business decision, all in the same breath.

It’s absolutely stupid how hypocrisy has to constantly be pointed out and still how everyone only chooses to see what supports their politics and narrative.

Last edited:
Blinkered vision /selective memory is one of our less favorable traits as humans ,
at best it leads to clouded judgement at worst it keeps us in a locked loop of making the same mistakes over and over and over again , sometimes for generations .

Ah yes, Twitter (and the like), where free speech, politics, and full-blown crazy and purposeful BS converge for corporate profits. It’s amazing how critics of Twitter’s business choices, somehow supported the NFL’s 2018 national anthem standing policy business decision, all in the same breath.
Users of Twitter are not employees. Players in the NFL are employees. Did the NFL try to force fans at games to stand for the anthem? No, they did not. Your analogy is broken.

It’s absolutely stupid how hypocrisy has to constantly be pointed out and still how everyone only chooses to see what supports their politics and narrative.
I agree, except for the fact that I see hypocrites on both sides. In the case of free speech (or pretty much any other enumerated right) it is the left who are doing the most damage of late.

You are correct, but free speech is free speech, employee or not. If that’s what it’s truly about (I’m waiting with an open-mind to be shown it truly is), it needs to be consistent across the board. It isn’t.

You are correct, but free speech is free speech, employee or not. If that’s what it’s truly about (I’m waiting with an open-mind to be shown it truly is), it needs to be consistent across the board. It isn’t.
Free speech is the first amendment in our short list (only ten) Bill of Rights. As we are only weeks away from the next election, unfettered speech seems pretty important. I expect many of the Twitter employees' heads are exploding right now at the threat of working for a self described free speech advocate like Musk.

Un-inspected by MSM is how much potentially vote changing news was suppressed before the last election. IIRC Twitter blocked the NY Post when they attempted to report on Hunter's laptop and corrupt influence pedaling. Facebook's Zuckerberg said he was warned by FBI that Hunter's laptop news story was Russian Disinformation so Facebook blocked it.
===
Selling access to high government officials is pretty much the family business of many corrupt politicians, so business as usual for the swamp, but Hunter raised this to new levels of depravity. What is even worse is how the FBI and intelligence community conspired to actively suppress Biden family news to influence the election outcome.

JR

What is even worse is how the FBI and intelligence community conspired to actively suppress Biden family news to influence the election outcome.

Instead of truly showing concern for free speech, here’s the real concern. It tells me I can ignore this, as it’s nothing more than more conspiracy theories for politics. Wake me up when there’s real concern or Hunter is indicted and he either takes a deal or goes to trial.

Last edited:
Instead of truly showing concern for free speech, here’s the real concern. It tells me I can ignore this, as it’s nothing more than more conspiracy theories for politics. Wake me up when there’s real concern.
No theory involved. The conspiracy was real. Do you think the FBI isn't capable of misdeeds? Ever heard of J. Edgar Hoover? Instead of being dismissive, maybe you should do some digging. Lack of concern is what enables this crap to occur.

And I would prefer employers not have the "right" to control employee speech, among other things. But that doesn't change the current reality and has no effect on your poor analogy.

Who called for censorship of valid data, science, and questions on Covid (from masks to lockdowns to vaxx mandates)? So-called liberals, including big tech, major newspapers, broadcast and cable media, etc.

Who calls for more BS restrictions under the guise of "hate speech" while allowing months of riots in many cities nationwide? Not conservatives.

Who wants to edit (not for accuracy) and destroy history? It wasn't Proud Boys, Three Percenters, or Oath Keepers.

I'm an absolutist on free speech. From my perspective the new left has abandonded the principle altogether. That is one of many reasons I will not vote D. You've all lost the script.

No theory involved. The conspiracy was real. Do you think the FBI isn't capable of misdeeds? Ever heard of J. Edgar Hoover? Instead of being dismissive, maybe you should do some digging. Lack of concern is what enables this crap to occur.

I will continue to say:
I put nothing past any government.

What kind of digging do you suggest? Simple internet digging will reveal whatever I choose to search for. That’s how it works. On the other hand, my lack of concern, when someone doesn’t show reason to, helps not perpetuate the BS.

I will continue to say:
I put nothing past any government.
it is the nature of bureaucracies to try to hold onto power. Our founders anticipated this and built in checks and balances.
What kind of digging do you suggest? Simple internet digging will reveal whatever I choose to search for. That’s how it works. On the other hand, my lack of concern, when someone doesn’t show reason to, helps not perpetuate the BS.
Perhaps just step outside of your echo chamber. In fact well after the election was decided several high profile news sources (NYT, WAPO, etc) admitted that the Hunter Biden laptop story that they had previously blocked was real. Of course too late to change the vote outcome. We must be diligent that it doesn't keep happening. I am optimistic that Elon will clean up Twitter and prevent them repeating their biased censorship.

I find it extremely significant when a cabal of left leaning government and business can censor enough unfavorable news to sway an election. Surveys claim that between 17% and 70% of democratic voters would have changed their vote if they knew the Hunter Biden story was real before the election. I will gladly ignore the 70% percent number but for a national election decided by low single digit percentages how can we ignore this significant criminal corruption. This is far worse that what the arm wavers were accusing Russia of doing. This is literally election interference.

Sadly MSM is still ignoring the Hunter Biden story to help their team.

JR

And I would prefer employers not have the "right" to control employee speech, among other things. But that doesn't change the current reality and has no effect on your poor analogy.
It’s not a poor analogy if it truly is about free speech. It is a poor analogy when it’s not.
Who called for censorship of valid data, science, and questions on Covid (from masks to lockdowns to vaxx mandates)? So-called liberals, including big tech, major newspapers, broadcast and cable media, etc.
Who calls for more BS restrictions under the guise of "hate speech" while allowing months of riots in many cities nationwide? Not conservatives.

Who wants to edit (not for accuracy) and destroy history? It wasn't Proud Boys, Three Percenters, or Oath Keepers.
I'm an absolutist on free speech. From my perspective the new left has abandonded the principle altogether. That is one of many reasons I will not vote D. You've all lost the script.

There’s way too much to unpack here and would sidetrack. However, I will say: If one feels the need to defend a position with the defense of those groups…

Perhaps just step outside of your echo chamber. In fact well after the election was decided several high profile news sources (NYT, WAPO, etc) admitted that the Hunter Biden laptop story that they had previously blocked was real. Of course too late to change the vote outcome. We must be diligent that it doesn't keep happening.
Which part of the laptop story was real? Seriously, there was so much BS around it, I can’t remember what part was real. The part that the FBI asked them to kill the Russia-origin laptop story? If so, that’s a far-cry from the theory for political narrative. Something else? I truly don’t remember. Is there an official Hunter investigation now? I can’t even remember that. I know the right say they will if they take majority, but that’s politics for you.

Regardless, I wait for the Hunter’s indictment and his plea deal or trail before I care and decide if it all was not just political narrative BS; as so far, that’s what it’s been.

I find it extremely significant when a cabal of left leaning government and business can censor enough unfavorable news to sway an election.

Why so concerned with only one side? They meet their match with FOX.

All the same, just a different election cycle.

Last edited:
Even if there was an investigation as promised by the republicans and it turned into a conviction( a good thing in my views), he will be pardoned by Brandon so no jail time.

Such is life when you have family and friends in such high places. There’s also those from the last round of pardons still engaging in foolery; which will probably become more obvious should Trump officially run again. Still, again, any indictment and any subsequent plea or trail, says so much more than the endless political narrative BS from all-direction, prior.

self described free speech advocate like Musk.
It's nice that Musk thinks of himself that way--it must be true then.

From my vantage point, Musk, an overly impulsive, egotistical, and very rich man, committed to something he shouldn't have. Faced with humiliation (which is probably the most significant issue for him) and the prospect of losing a billion dollars due to his rash decision-making, he seems to be choosing to go ahead with the deal.

The man is no free speech advocate--just another rich, arrogant jackass. But rich, arrogant jackasses seem to be rather popular in certain circles these days.......

Sore loser much?

Republicans have to have some reason to believe that Biden is illegitimate, and time after time your quests reveal absolutely nothing. What a bunch of whiny, deluded snowflakes.

Sore loser much?
I'm a little sore but I don't appreciate being called a loser. Be nicer.
Republicans have to have some reason to believe that Biden is illegitimate, and time after time your quests reveal absolutely nothing. What a bunch of whiny, deluded snowflakes.
You mind reading is sloppy... Suppressing vote changing news is "cheating" not a fair election.

If anything I feel sorry for President Biden, I'm old, but not that old... :rolleyes:

JR

Sore loser much?

I'm not a Republican. I'm anti-authoritarian and anti-leftist. Joe Biden has been corrupt for quite some time. He's also a pathological liar and was not mentally fit for office when he ran in 2020. The influence peddling via his brother and son were suppressed by the FBI. Own it. This is your administration as was, presumably, the Obama administration where this latest corruption began.

Latest posts

Back