U47 Build using EF80

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"not-microphonic-at-all" is usually pretty apparent.

I think knocking the tube with a pencil eraser type test and hearing "ringing" is a symptom with the goal being to minimize that behavior AMAP. I could be absolutely mistaken about the symptom and test though.

Cheers,
jb

Do you have any clips of the microphonic EF80? I'm still yet to hear a microphonic tube microphone.
I'll post up a clip soon... It's only apparent when you tap on the mic body but could possibly be an issue in Hi SPL Applications. I also have some more Telefunken EF800's coming and also a 5693 Steel tube! Which is apparently the electrically and sonically the Same as the EF12(but Cheep as chips!) which is a popular choice for 47 Builds. I also have two of Max from Ioaudio's BV08 coming..Cant wait!! :)

interesting about that 5693 Steel tube, post up the results when you get a chance.
I'll put up some audio files of my ones once i get a stereo pair sorted, single one on the drums sounds so good!!
recording just got simpler, thank you U47 :)

regards

Spence.

With diode you have to use bypass cap. Or you will have too much non leaner distortions and lower than expected gain because of negative feedback.

Yes the bypass cap would be a good Idea maybe a 47pf polystyrene  or something like that. or even  clean up the heater supply with a choke and tap the bias from that supply like the AMI Build assuming they used a choke!??. I did notice a differences in sound with diode biasing compared to conventional methods when I was working on C12 builds but maybe the bypass cap minimize would these differences and maybe not...

0dbfs said:
"not-microphonic-at-all" is usually pretty apparent.

I think knocking the tube with a pencil eraser type test and hearing "ringing" is a symptom with the goal being to minimize that behavior AMAP. I could be absolutely mistaken about the symptom and test though.

Cheers,
jb
A slight detour here, but hopefully informative.

Microphonic tubes are like microphonic guitar pickups.  Sound causes them to vibrate and set up a feedback loop.  With the pickups, it is the ferromagnetic metal (steel) that vibrates, and the coils pick it up and make a signal out of it.  With a tube it is the internals and/or the body vibrating and setting up a feedback loop.  Here is a short video on a guitar amp with a microphonic preamp tube.  It is different than what most all of my guitar buddies first imagined. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM2qWZYbInI#t=50

However, the tube in the guitar amp is in the same environment that a microphone tube is in.  More or less.  A class A, cathode biased, triode in a relatively sound intensive environment.
Patrick

Hi all,

Just need to know what would happen if the PSU I've made for this U47 was given 48v from a mixing desk whether it would have any effect or change the sound of the mic?
If there is any effect what could I do to protect it.
This problem would occur when using this mic into a desk which has phantom power over all channels, so you can't turn it off/on individually.

Regards

Spence.

Looking Good Spence!!
Here are some pics of the U-47 style mic I just finished over the weekend which uses an ef800 tube , 9 polar patterns, Thiersch Blue Line PVC Capule , and Max IOaudio BV08.

Attachments

• 47_4.jpg
    47_4.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 57

Latest posts

Back