U47 with EF14 tube Build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In fact, you can try the double-tube 408A. I think the low-end is closer to VF14 than EF14, and the cost is lower. It can use independent 105V power supply. The components are designed according to the original circuit, and you can get good results without changing. Independent 105V power supply and heater There will be some differences in the tone of the separate power supply. After comparing it with the original U47, I think the tone of the independent power supply is closer to the original U47.

Attachments

• 408a vf14.jpg
    408a vf14.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
as per the transformer i used a inductance meter to find the right way to connect it as the colour coding was completely different.

on the PRI it should be Black and grey connected giving 122.4H from Yellow to Green (598ohms)
on the SEC it should be White and Brown connected giving 2.87H from Blue to Red (16ohm)

well that isnt right, as i get hum with the txf wired that way but no low end loss? will try another way??BV08 TXF.png

you would think yellow to purple on PRI and blue to brown on Sec but this ends up in low henries when tested and no bottom end?

what is going on? no bottom end if i connect middle windings and get no henries on inductance meter
connecting the start to start i get full henries but loads of hum?

Last edited:
Just tested a P2P version i built with a EF80 and the M7 copy capsule and BV08 which i rewound, Sounds pretty impressive and test voltages are all within where they need to be!!
Im doing a best mic shoot out today, so will share the results when done if anyones interested?
testing U47 EF80, U47 EF800, U67, U87i, ELAM 251, C12a, M49c, M49b and M49 Alt version

Well it seems my U47s are well out infront along with the ELAM 251 which sounds quite nice but not as mid forward as the U47s.
My U67 sounds terrible, so im goona have to look at that!! it has the most expensive capsule in there that i own and im completely shocked it sounds so bad!!
The U87 i have isnt much better either, quite a few of them suffer with overloading issues when playing loud on the acoustic guitar, will have to look into getting them all up to where the U47s are.
My pair of C12a sounds really good as well, very pleased with them.
The SE4400a im very disapointed in when comparing it to the U47s, sounds terrible on acoustic guitar and isnt much better on vocals, i actually thought this sounded pretty good at one point but now ive heard the U47s working well, its chalk and cheese!!!

Lesson for today is cleaning capsules, what a difference its made to the U67 and the U87.
a nice clean and they are both up and running and sounding amazing again, keeping the capsules in a plastic bag from now on with a moisture absorber in there and make sure they get put away after each session rather than left out!!

I think I’ll leave this one where it is then, sorry I thought it was better to get 40v on anode.
So I’m assuming anywhere from 30v to 40v on anode is good?
Kathode at 1.1v with heater in the 5.05v give or take +/- 10v?
And B+ at 105v +/- 5v?

Is that what you mean by in range?

Yeah. It looks close enough to work, and work well. Tubes vary. You can fiddle with different values for the cathode resistor and see if you can hear differences at different bias points, but personally, I feel this endeavour is best focussed on finding the best tone and lowest noise, than aiming for a specific plate voltage.

Lowering the plate resistor to get more voltage will sacrifice some gain, so that’s something to consider when adjusting values.

But YMMV. You know what they say about opinions. Let’s see what others have to say.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back