Univibe Build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right some form of success today!!
I thought I’d check the R47 resistor to Q13 was a 4.7k rather than a 47k and it was 47k, replaced with 4.7k and now I get much more effect and unit sounds so much better.
Still not there yet as there is hum and when on vibrato mode it does seem louder than on chorus, I can live with that but the hum has to go?
No hum when I plug straight into the amp so leads are fine.
Hum there when in bypass and gets worse when effect on?

I suspect my noise problem is the transformer being too close to the pcb and parts, i will remove from inside and see how it sounds with the mains txf outside the enclosure.
or it could be that the mains txf isnt touching the case or its just too old and noisy?

Well the hum is still there even when the univibe is not powered but fx is on?

So must be a wiring fault or a part failed?
I’ve moved txf as far away as I can in enclosure now.

Will test all voltages now, my B+ is 24v to LFO and 15v to transistors.
Will document all transistor voltages.

well the hum is still there and im pretty sure its my power setup which is at fault.
ive got a 3 way wall plug wired to the DPDT power switch, then from there to the mains transformer.
if the gnd on the 3 way plug is attached to the case the hum goes but when i then plug into the wall the hum comes back!!
the 24v transformer is fairly old so could be at fault, i do have another transformer which i can try and see if the problem remains once ive changed the transformer?

Univibe PCB under.png

here is my first pcb with labels.
ive done the bias bulb mod and works fine.
Just need to check all components tomorrow.
Im using a dual 100k pot for speed so i can take out those 300k resistors (anything that is * is not staying in)

univibe clone new.jpg
this is the new pcb which I will test as soon as the other parts arrive.

PSU setup.jpg

shouldnt really need to put this but im having strange hum problems?, using a roland cube amp and pluggin this univibe in to test it, when i plug in the power lead into the same 4 way as the amp is plugged into i get loads of hum?
this is even without the univibe turn on?
ive changed transformers thinking it could be this old transformer? but it does exactly the same on another transformer so it cant be that?
ive even disconnected the secondary frm the univibe to see if its something the univibe side but it still hums?
its going to be something silly i just know it!!!????

yeah sounds like a missing gnd to me as well, or transformer interference within the audio signal, ive managed to get it much quieter now but its still there?
i suppose i could do the two 100R resistor trick to put in a GND, will see if that makes any difference.
building up the Shin Ei version now so will test this and see if this hums as well!!!

On vibe A I changed the 15v regulator and it took the high pitched buzz off, now left with just a little bit of what sounds like mains hum.
Will try some 100R resistors on secondary to get artificial centre tap and see if that takes the other hum away.

Latest posts

Back