Using mixed DOA types in a pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toobme

GDIY Supporter
Is there anything problematic about putting two different opamps into a single processor (like compressor, EQ, or mic pre)?
I'm wondering if blending types might give interesting results, but thought I'd post the thought before trying the experiment, in case it could cause damage.

My case example would be sticking in a CAPI 0252 and a JE990 into the Hairball Lola, a 500 series mic pre.
At the moment, I put two 990s in the pre and it sounds nice and big and just has me wondering about flavour switching potential.

I realize these are meant to be swapped around, just wondered about mixing two different opamps together on the same board.
Thanks much!

There's nothing inherently wrong with having different op amp models in a single design. In fact, I'm struggling to think of projects of my own where I've only used a single op amp type. Usually one type is optimal in one location, something else is optimal somewhere else.

The main things to watch out for are just that the pinouts are compatible, and that the supply voltage range that each amp can handle is compatible with whatever your power supply rail voltages are.

Thanks, dom!
Since the pinouts and voltage ranges are all the same, I guess it’s down to stuffing them in there and listening.
I appreciate your help, just wanted a nudge so thanks.

Actually from googling the hairball lola schematic it looks like the two amps are used to drive the OT differentially which means if you have different op amps you might have different offsets and put DC through the transformer. With a lot of gain that offset could be significant. But if you want distortion then that would be one way to get it.

Latest posts

Back