UTC 65959

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talk about zombie threads. Let's see if we can cut off its head and kill it once and for all!

All the previous posts tell just about everything but bandwidth. These things pop up everywhere and I have some made by UTC, some labelled Magentika, and two labelled "Super Electric Inc". Some Googling on the last one yielded info about a company with that name that made audio transformers out of NJ that went bankrupt in the late 40s. My guess is that these were mic input transformers for some kind of console sourced from various transformer manufacturers.

There's also a similar UTC model I have labelled 65956 with only 4 pins.  A little paper insert that came with it said "Line to Grid: 500:50k 2-4 - 500, 5-7 - 50k : $0.39 ea net". I'm guessing the 65959 was a mic input and the 65956 was a line input and were probably options in the same mixer/console/PA.

I measured all 3 versions a couple of years ago and my notes show they matched exactly with the specs Kato posted. I also did a freq "sweep" (white noise) with 200 ohm series resistance on the source and 68k load/16k load and they have nice flat bandwidth from 20-20k. My notes say the signal source was 30mV. (My impedance test at the time showed 68k secondary. I have a better method now and it usually measures right in line with nominal specs. Retested just now and they measure right around 50k. I think the 1:7 test that I loaded with 16k instead of 15k was for the same reason.)

Here's the charts. These were done with linear plots instead of log because I didn't see where to change that setting in REW back then. But if you convert these plots to log scale they are dead flat.

ilUE8iXl.jpg

AVj209Dl.jpg

Hope this helps someone. Now, swing that machete and don't miss!

BT

Now, swing that machete and don't miss!

Ok!  ;D Just like many other vintage pieces in this category, at one time - when you you could buy them for 5-15$ (or less)  they made good sense.  And this includes all that not so great sounding HA  UTC Iron too.  But now things have gotten way past silly and on beyond ridiculous price wise.  It no longer makes any sense except for the few iconic pieces which we are all forced to pay allegiance too.

Trying to find decent vintage parts at a sensible price is like living on some desolate outpost in a Mad Max World and scavenging for crumbs.  Instead you have a bunch of stuff that's barely worth a dollar being priced at 40X that.  And when you've got the Jack-of-All ebay guys that sell jewelry, antiques, fancy watches, and whatever computer crap is trendiest selling vintage transformers laid out like they were jewels - it's permanent facepalm time.  (vomit emoji)

Amen, brother. If I hadn't accumulated all these old parts before the gold rush, it wouldn't be worth bothering. Silly money now. For new projects if I don't have something that will work in the pile, I'm buying new. Just not worth the risk anymore.

It is kinda funny/facepalmy to see the fancy watch sellers descriptions of vintage iron. Beige A-20s described as "early version", filament transformers described as "output transformer", etc.

Altec 1567s for $2500? Sheesh. Just build something.

It is kinda funny/facepalmy to see the fancy watch sellers descriptions of vintage iron. Beige A-20s described as "early version", filament transformers described as "output transformer", etc.

LoL.  Yeah, those are the guys who've figured out not everything was used on the Fairchild or Pultec but stepped in another pile walking backwards.

Altec 1567s for $2500? Sheesh. Just build something.

Good lord!    You could probably buy the nicer one for that.

Back