V475 translation + summing network

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to jump in and started also building a summing amp with a 475-2A.
I'd like to know if there are really big sound differences between the 475 versions?

And if so how about this:

I'd like to use some air gap switches (Neumann relais card RK12) for jumpering the on board lpf. So I could switch between modern and vintage freq characteristics. :wink:
Does it make sense anyway regarding the sound difference?
Would I get losses due the cabling of approx. 1 m length?

Which one is the lpf board anyway? I am not THAT good in reading schematics... :oops:

Big thanks in advance!

Hi Volker (silentarts) !

Thanks a lot for the resistor list for Rg.
How did you manage to get exact those values?
I am thinking of using trim pots in the approx. range - good or bad idea?

Is the wiring cable quality/length sensitive to signal quality? My understanding is that Rg is just an electronic signal lead - not an audio signal lead. Am I right or wrong?

Patrick

Hi - finally I got mine up and running. Anyone wants to have a look? www.phenomental.com/diy/diy.html

I just ordered a dual layer plate which will look really sexy. It'll come next week - I'll post new photos then.

I got a 475-2A which needs different resistor values for Rg e.g. V +6dB = 15 KOhm.

Can anyone help me with the formula from Neumann?

Here it is:

V (dB)=20log (Rg(KOhm) +2 / 2Re(kOhm) * 1.25

:roll:

phenomental!
What?s this:
page1-1019-full.jpg

?
:shock:
Is it something you wanna talk with us?

:green:

Yeah, why not? :grin:

I was not sure about posting it here since it is not all *real* DIY. I used mostly common components form the 80's radio era in germany; and you guys brought me to the idea since I had no idea about 475s before I read your articel and I was seriously thinking about buying a new summing device since I just sold my desk.

So the first statement: it sound stunning! I am really happy with the sound reg. it's resolution and roomy depth. Breathtaking!
The problem is that we have to convert after the analog chain to digital which is - even if it is done by one of the best converters available - still a breakdown in spaciness and depth and overall presence of even the not so loud signals.
A LOT get's lost when returning to digital.... when some has experience with some better A/D converters than Rosetta: please feel free to tell me.... :wink:

OK- back to the device:

What you see on the photo is a 32-in-2 summing device consisting of a Neumann 475, Neumann Power Supply ( though I had to build an 27,5 V AC converter on my own, well THAT is DIY! ) :cool:
two Telefunken splitters and two relais cards plus another relais card with dampening resistors.

So what is this good for?

Well, I was thinking of having some more opportunities despite just summing 32 channels.
What I liked mostly about my previous console before selling was the easy soloing and muting it offered.
Therefor I used 4 switches for muting 4x 8-groups which still gives me flexibility for listening e.g. drums, effects, vocals, instrument groups soloed.
Since the last 8-group of channels was thought to be for FX I run them through a dampening relay section which damps them down -15 dB by default. When adjusting the reverb sound I want to hear it loud therefore it is switchable for two stereo returns.
Two Mono switches allow channels 1-4 to be mono. Enough for BD/SN/BASS/Vocals. Solved by laying a parallel signal lead before the 5k1 resistors on the summing chain.
Then there is a insert path for the stereo sum which allows to bypass inserted compressors/signal processors.

Well, that's it... :wink:

The funky stuff was the wiring and soldering on the relais cards since the legs are very close together.

Couldn't be happier - just wann go for a *real* SSL summing comp now. (it never stops, but I guess you know)

P.S. the dampenig card with the carbon potentiometers was crap. I soldered some 1% tolerance resistors directly on the multi-switch.

(BTW: the summing resistors are 0.1 % . I think I can hear it... ;) )

Hi. I have a 475-2 now, so I have two questions now.

phenomental: Where did you get those multi-pin connectors? What are they called? are they available gold plated?

Someone: What effect would it have if all my line outputs are single ended (read unbalanced)? All bad? Would I need different resistors? Would it work at all?

Thanks,
hejsan

Hi hejsan,

in Germany you can get them from conrad or schuricht.

http://www.distrelec.com:80/ishopWebFront/catalog/product.do?id=01&node=aeacabacacaa&series=2

They belong to the DIN 41 617 norm.

I think you can connect unsymmetrical lines to the summing amp.
I'd connect the ground of each line to the phase reversed in.
Resistors should be the same.

Patrick

My v475 summing box is almost finished :green:
BTW, I don't know how to terminate the output transformers, so the unit can be well matched with 10k equipment. I was thinking about 330+330 ohm :roll: Any suggestion :?:

Thanks. BTW I'm asking because I used to see transformer output devices asking for proper termination. Especially when transformer is "light" with Henry's :cool: It's not too hard to measure response and do some listening , but will like to know what Neumann say about.
What's the situation in Neumann console summed with V475?

I measured my V475 summing box with 600R and 100K - no problems.
Neumann said it have to be OVER 300 Ohm.
with the Neumann consoles I know there is no problem with driving a Pro Tools or Digas AWS.[/quote]

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]
while I have the 475-2B I decided to have gain switched (-6, -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3, +4, +6 dB).
still waiting for the case :mad:[/quote]

hi volker,
i am using a 475-2c in my summing box...which sounds pretty nice sofar...
i want to add the possibility for a simple gain control - can i use a pot of 15k for Rg?

hmm, also seems hard to find good pots like alps in 15k...any other ideas?
i dont want to put a switch...i like more the idea to have a pot...maybe put a resistor of 3 k or 5k in serie?

I don't think a pot will work very well.
IIRC the V475-2C needs 4 RGs, 2 per Channel.
the tracking between the deks of the pot would need to be VERY close, not the 10-20% you have on normal pots. the law is another issue ...
take a rotary switch and match the resistors, much more easier :grin:

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]I measured my V475 summing box with 600R and 100K - no problems.
Neumann said it have to be OVER 300 Ohm.
with the Neumann consoles I know there is no problem with driving a Pro Tools or Digas AWS.[/quote][/quote]
I did some listening test of my summing box and found that there is some sound changes when load impedance is 600 or 10k :roll: For me, the best solution is when i terminate the output of the Neumann with the 600 ohm :wink:

Back