Ward Beck M472 Equalizer Redesign

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForthMonkey

I decided to build this eq as simple rack or 51X Series.For now working on board design.It's 10x10 cm board.There is cut out to remove edge card section.So it can be 51X series eq.Just cutting and adding jumpers to pins.

I'm using NE5532 and NE5534 instead of original op amps.And reversed compensation parts.Cause LM301's Pin1=Balance/Compensation and Pin8=Compensation,NE5534's Pin1=Compensation and Pin8=Balance/Compensation.So i changed parts place.Is it correct?Should do like this or leave like original?

Changed ICs with original ICs.

Thanks.

Original circuit

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91809016/WARD/Ward_Beck_M472_Equalizer.pdf

My circuit

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91809016/WARD/Circuit.pdf

Board idea

top.png

bot.png

Front panel

front.png

dandeurloo said:
Have you used the originals?

I have a number of them.

I don't know that why i don't use originals,actually.Originals are LM301 and  LM1458.I'm still thinking about using original ICs but i can't decide.I guess,i will go with originals...

Upacesky said:
Hey cool,
do you plan on making PCBs?

Yes.After some projects i will make PCBs.I have no idea when i will make but i believe not long time...Cause i really want to build this eq!

Now building APIsh eq and Trident compressor.And working on API preamp,summing/line mixer.

dandeurloo said:
Have you used the originals?

I have a number of them.
I was wondering that as well.  Unless they've gone up a lot in price, the originals I had were pretty cheap.  Cheap enough that I personally couln't justify the effort of DIYing one.  Maybe things have changed. 

Fun EQ with an edginess to it, IMO.  Since you've come this far, might as well keep going.

Never used Ward Beck gear, but people seem to praise a lot Ward Beck modules.

The M600 Mic Pre module is suppose to be really good, don't know about the EQs but probably would be good also

I like mine but the 472's are not the ones to go after.  The 462's are.  The ward beck pres I have are really nice as well.  They are kind of in between the API and Neve sound that others have described them as.  I have the M460 pres. 

Actually i've never used any Ward Beck module.I have no idea how it sounds.It's easy to build.Simple and cheap parts.So i decided to build this.When it's done,i will see...

One thing to note, many of these modules used Tantalum capacitors not electrolytics in many positions. Anything marked 'Kemet' in the parts list would be tants and anything marked 'Siemens' would have been electrolytics. I count 25 tants in the 460B.

In my experience it changes how they sound.

And, yes the 460's are the big brother to these and include a transformer based mic-pre and line input and were used in recording consoles, the 462 would be the recording version of the 472.

They all ran on +/- 25 volt supplies and had local regulation on the module that knocked the voltages down to +/- 21.5 volts and +/- 18 volts for the non-discrete sections of the modules.

The 470 series were used in on-air consoles of the day and were often auxiliary to the main channel strips that could be accessed through the patch bay.

If you're going this far, you may as well used the 462B as the basis for your design with the added Bell/Shelf and extra mid-range  controls.

Mark

Back