Well, I'll Just Go Ahead and Make My First Post Here

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountCyanide

GDIY Supporter
I'd like to dip my feet in and introduce myself here before I start chiming in on anything.

I've been recording and creating music for over 25 years. Being very discriminating about gear for the brunt of that time (the good stuff and the flavorful bad stuff -- which I indeed dig) I've finally arrived at a point where I'm going to do something about wanting to know what makes these things tick and sound so beautiful or beautifully ugly. I started with stalking this site and grabbed a copy of Electronics for Dummies. I've been a bit obsessed and just juggling this data gathering in between studio time and woman time and dogwalking. I've got a hunger to get to the bottom of all these why?'s I have regarding audio electronics. And as the veil is slowly being lifted off I still must say that it's all magic really. You all are some magicians. I respect your innovation, perseverance and ethos of sharing. After months of thread reading and link clicking I started with a Lazy Sprocket pedal from BYOC. Plugged it in after putting about 10 hours into it and VOILA - without a hitch. Lovely, crying guitars. My soldering skills were way better now than when I barely successfully cabled up my old Sound Workshop desk replete with injuries and burned pants a decade earlier. So now I've started in on the Hairball 990's and I'm just having the time of my life with this old soldering gun. It's kind of like a nice zen retreat for me with a reward far beyond calmed nerves - better sound, gear, knowledge and respect for designers and builders. Woohoo. But it hasn't been all perfect I must say. I've always prided myself on detail sticklering but I've made my share of misplaced resistors and upside down caps. But that's learning. And stretching myself. You thought you're a retent? No, you're not ENOUGH of one. Keep your head on the PCB and schematics and guides, fool! I feel a hell of a lot better when I read posts and see that it's normal to screw up a bit. That is indeed part of the learning. I've also faltered a touch on the 1176 Rev A that I'm starting on so I got myself a Hakko 808 and a new PCB on the way (yikes) because I want it to be pretty and I want to beam with pride about my build while it's still open and being worked and afterwards when I'm squashing the hell out of a drum.

I'm sure this a long post and I'm sure it's all been said before over and over by newbies and this thread will just take up server space but I don't care because I've got to introduce myself and, mainly, THANK all of the members here for creating such an awesome resource and community that has me all lit up.

One of my bosses back in the 70s said "The only people not making mistakes are the people not doing anything".

Welcome to the group.

Cheers

Ian

Almost done with my 1176 and it's time to pack it in for the "night" (it's almost noon). Now I know why Support threads are strewn all around this board. This DIY business is CRACK. Fiend mode here. G'night!

Alright, 2 successful builds in (Hairball Mnats 1176 rev A & Serpent SB4000) and now for the application. I couldn't wait to plug these into my arsenal and workflow.
Just finished this song and already put it up and out. 1176 on vocals and synth, SB4000 on Master.
Damn, this is fun.

http://youtu.be/eQzOkSeHTlQ

and

http://youtu.be/BWOHhnLWD38

Just want to express my thanks once again for all of the unselfish, generous geniuses here.
This community has been so welcoming and has made all of the learning easy and fun.
Asking questions without a feeling of judgement is a major key to learning-- especially something as complex as electronics. Most of it seems logical thanks to you guys.
My racks now look splendid and my sound has improved so vastly since joining this forum.
All of my clients have remarked enthusiastically about the better fidelity coming out of here.
Some have asked if I've been going to a big studio like larabee or record plant.
I've had a bunch of major musical breakthroughs since getting jumped in here.
It all goes hand in hand. Leaps and bounds.
Major MAHALOS to this fine, fine crew of good-guy bandits.

Sorry if I'm so damn mushy, gents but in this competitive music world often fraught with ego trips and insecure bickering, I can't express enough gratitude for this breath of fresh air known as groupdiy.

Cyrus

Vintage 918to 990 Adapter

I've finally something to contribute here-- no matter how small and basic.

Obviously I've started from the bottom of the knowledge bin and am working my way through learning processes with projects and experimenting. So here I am in the 70's and getting into Discrete Opamps. Studying their designs and referencing some books to see how they work and how the design came to be. You know, elementary deconstruction. 

I bought some vintage Pacific Recorders 918 opamps off of eBay. Perfect timing having just gotten into Samual Groner's site.  I can certainly use these as reference if I decide to build one off of the data sheets on his site. Well, in order to use them in existing circuits of course I'd need an adapter (or make a hardwired mess on a board). I edited Harpo's 990 eagle library part and came up with this. One of the generous brains on this board, thanks to Harpo for posting that here a few years ago. 

Anyways, here it is after all of my blahblahblahs. Download away for anyone who might need it now or years from now.....

Attachments

• MTC_918_to_990_Adapter.png
    MTC_918_to_990_Adapter.png
    5 KB · Views: 9
Just read this post and must echo the OP's sentiments...

You guys rock!!!! Thanks to you all amazing cool dudes who have made my studio that much better! My D67 is my finest mic; I like it even better than my original U87!

Best, gents, and to all a good night.

Mike

JohnRoberts said:
Welcome and enjoy the girls, dogs, and whatever...

JR

Thanks, John. Silly that I only gave you a thumb for this when I should've replied in the first place and said -thanks- not only for the welcome but for the infinite wisdom you've shared here and, as I time travel these pages, I see more and more. I've come to appreciate your take and its enthusiasm for progress.

Just wanted to update. Didn't mean for this to be a running journal and pardon if I'm continuing to infringe.
I've gotten so stoked about electronics through this community that I've decided to go back to school and get my Master's. Currently fulfilling prerequisites through Berkeley Extension and I hope to be admitted to Cal Berkeley Proper. This is a best-case mid life crisis I believe. I might be hitting up (look up) you accomplished wizards for a letter of rec....

ruffrecords said:
One of my bosses back in the 70s said "The only people not making mistakes are the people not doing anything".

Welcome to the group.

Cheers

Ian

That got me back on the bench.

BTW merry Christmas ya'll!

Back