What is the meaninng of the number in the blue bar at the top of the page?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

Today I saw (for the fist time) a red '7' in the blue bar on top of this page.
What is the meaning of this?
I tried to click on it, but nothing happened...
It seems it is always 7, never 6 or 8.
Is it something new I don't know of?

Something to do with push notifications I would guess.  I had a pop-up window asking me if I want to receive notifications from GDIY.  When I chose "Not Now", it would pop up again on the next GDIY page I opened.  Finally I chose "Never" and it went away.  But the "7" is still there...

mjrippe said:
Something to do with push notifications I would guess.  I had a pop-up window asking me if I want to receive notifications from GDIY.  When I chose "Not Now", it would pop up again on the next GDIY page I opened.  Finally I chose "Never" and it went away.  But the "7" is still there...

It is the number of notifications you have. Seems that both of you had the same number of notifications - that's a coincidence!
Actually this feature is cool! You can press the triangle below this number and small drop down menu will show you what are those notifications. You can for instance see if someone liked your post, if someone quoted your post and similar stuff...

:)

Luka

> press the triangle below this number

OK.... but why am I clicking somewhere else other than the mystery number?

While questioning the interface-- what happened to the number of posts in a thread?? This gives some hint whether I want to look now or later.

RuudNL said:
Today I saw (for the fist time) a red '7' in the blue bar on top of this page.
What is the meaning of this?
I tried to click on it, but nothing happened...
It seems it is always 7, never 6 or 8.
Is it something new I don't know of?

Modern web browsers support a feature called "notifications." This means the web site can push something to you. GroupDIY's forum software has notifications for things like when someone replies to or "likes" one of your posts.

If you click the triangle with a question mark under the number (to the left of "Hello {Your Name}"), you'll see a list of the notifications.

<grumpy old man voice> Bah!  I just click on the topics with new messages and reads what I likes!  Don't need no modern computational notificational clicky-menus to tell me what to read. <grumpy old man voice off>

I was noticing my "6" earlier today.  It was kind of off on its own up top ; looked like a buggy rendering of dynamic elements to me where things sometimes get bumped up to odd spots not quite as intended.

It's gone!
It seems it disappeared as quickly as it came...

EDIT: now I have a number, but no longer a triangle to click... (This is getting confusing!)

I have a new red square with no number in it, which does nothing.  Probably a half-built coming soon feature. 

Back