When I first found this group...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always heard that one in the context of a "recording studio".

[quote author="Svart"]As the old joke goes: How do you make a million dollars playing jazz? Start with 2 million.

:green:[/quote]

I'm in total love with this friendly, inspiering, motivating forum.

Gives life a meaning, amongs other things.

Thank you everybody, love you, for everything you give me.

Hopefully I will bring something back someday :grin:

Thanks a bunch, Ethan. This forum has been my hanging place for the last several years, and I've learned a great deal from the generosity of the people involved.

I've built a ton of great sounding stuff that I use on a daily basis, and have become good friends with Tommypiper as a result of this forum. Our families hang out together, and we share our love of great sounding audio gear, while building project. What could be better?

Long live Groupdiy - a civilized place for reasonable discourse on our shared love of high quality DIY audio projects.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

EVERYONE....shhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

dont jinx it! this type of tone will surely doom us all.

"Oasis" is pretty much how I see ya'll here. And putting thread counts in resumes might come up in the future. over 2000 posts might equal 2years in the feild? how say you? a bachelor in Prodigy Pro?

Ditto Ethan and many many many many THANKs.

This is one of the few actual places where the idea that people are inherently GOOD wins out over that other theory.

There have been some bumps on the road, but...........
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

have you guys NOT noticed that some of our best people got fed up and left?

this forum is better than most but we still have our share of assholes who have to ruin it for everybody, dont start singing 'kum ba ya' just yet.

Its their decision though and although its regrettable they have to learn that those "a holes" will always exist and its best to ignore them or better yet disarm them with humor.

jim

I can't remember how I found this forum but I do remember I wanted to learn some electronics and engineering skills without the need for 4 more years of school. In the time I have been here Ive supplemented my studio with 2 pultecs, 2 1176, an SSL, Eq3ds, an 18 watt marshall, soon to come an LA2 and a 670. Plus anytime an amp or piece of rack gear breaks down someone is willing to help me through the fix. Usually a few someones. And usually more willing to talk than a tech biz employee.

The collective knowledge here is both immense and addictive. I have found that learning the electrical engineering aspects has helped me to become a far better audio engineer than before I found the Group DIY!

Many Thanks

Will

maybe this is some kind of a success story for this group:

the last few months at the "old place" I was lurking around, but always had errors trying to register.
someday there was a discussion about a group buy: an original Fairchild 670 manual on ebay (bidding was over $ 200,- as far as I remember) :shock:
my employer had two of those manuals, incl. schematics and some more information that time (I have them at home now :green: ).
mhm, but I wasn't able to post. Scanned it and mailed it to a member with public eMail (Steffen, I think).
Kubi is still hosting those files :grin:
that old place went down, this place came up, and I was able to register :thumb:
at the beginning I was only able to contribute old schematics, but then I wanted to build something myself.
this have been some GSSLs :grin:
followed by some other projects. but there was always something I wanted to change, this is why I started to look into designing my own PCBs :green:

where am I now ? analag asked me to design the PCBs for his outstanding Poor Man (Fairchild like) 660 :thumb:

I had nearly nothing knowledge in electronics before, mostly all I know I have learned here - in this group.

I'm somehow proud what I can realize today, but this never would ever happened without this group, and all the knowledge and information I learned here :thumb:
thank you all who (still) teach me

and yes, this story is true

Hey Volker

I can honestly say I'm glad you got into pcb layout and manufacture.

Your PCBs are A-1. I see a lot of pcb design from a lot of engineers and I have to say your stuff is beautifully elegant.

I find it hard to believe you were not already a 'hardened electrical engineering warrior'.

Just another great thing about 'Labs.

Thanks for the contributions! I wish I could do as much.

When I found this group I gave and I got, but I made some great friends.

analag

Had to jump on this thread.

Total newbie, been absorbing mainly for the last few months, as the opportunities to give back only grow with my growing understanding of the insides of boxes. The willingness to help on this forum combined with the actual knowledge to BE ABLE to help (as opposed to other forums where a lot of BS gets pandered around) is stunning and beautiful!!

Agree with all positive statements above!

Only one slight problem: More than mildly addictive and makes your friends tell you to shut up a lot when you ramble excitedly about some mic or pre...etc. They now say that I need a pair of slippers and a pipe to go with my new addiction :green:

Small price to pay I say, now where do they sell a good quality pipe anyone??

Boris

Latest posts

Back