Where to start for an exact accurate version of C800G

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I emailed Cinemag about a transformer recommendation for a C800G style build. If they get back to me with what the best transformer should be I'll post it.
I don't see how they can help. We all know that something around 7:1 will work but if they have info (and want to share) about the exact C800g transformer it can help.

we can guess.
I have not looked inside a real C800G
It looks like a EI hard to tell from pictures on the web.
If someone has dimensions you could figure out the permalloy (from the translation in reply #49) lamination number. Maybe .014" thick?
I would guess it is interleaved, maybe three or five winding layers?
If the wire comes from the USA(from the translation in reply #49) maybe it is from MWS wire?

Good news. Guy will bring the the mic over the weekend. I will do the general measurments, not windings count, of course. But ratio, DCR, some other magnetics properties and lam's dimmension. It will be enaugh to have idea about this transformer. Stay tuned ;)
Very interesting, at least for me 🙂 !

Here we go. As I promised. The guy is actually 8.7:1 ratio.
Builded around the EI35 (or probably EI375, since it's made in USA) but that's almost the same size of the laminations.
It measures approx. 730H edit: 600H@ 50hz (primary side) what means high % nickel alloy. Primary DCR=320ohm, sec 29ohm
I hope this helpsC800G.jpg

Last edited:
Builded around the EI35 (or probably EI375, since it's made in USA) but that's almost the same size of the laminations.
It measures approx. 730H @ 50hz (primary side) what means high % nickel alloy. Primary DCR=320ohm, sec 29ohm
I hope this helpsView attachment 97953
👏👏👏
That would put secondary at about 7.9H FWIW. What a monster!

Last edited:
I don't know how similar it would be but Cinemag has an 8.7:1 transformer, the CMO-15/200CT. I don't see a PDF spec sheet on their site so I don't know if it's still available.

It measures approx. 730H @ 50hz (primary side) what means high % nickel alloy. Primary DCR=320ohm, sec 29ohm
I hope this helpsView attachment 97953
Thank you very much!!! (y)
Now it’s clear .. that I can hardly find such a monster 🙃..
There is probably nothing like this as an alternative.
But at least I know what to aim for:giggle:.

Thanks for posting the photo Moby , maybe you could post a few more of the other parts of the mic if you still have it on the bench .
Interesting detail about the transformer , it appears to have an insulated mounting made from perspex , does the core material get grounded to a discrete point in the circuit or just left to float ?
The tube suspension mount might also be worth studying . Very few pics of the mics internals even exist up online .

Thanks for posting the photo Moby , maybe you could post a few more of the other parts of the mic if you still have it on the bench .
Interesting detail about the transformer , it appears to have an insulated mounting made from perspex , does the core material get grounded to a discrete point in the circuit or just left to float ?
The tube suspension mount might also be worth studying . Very few pics of the mics internals even exist up online .
Sorry. The mic is returned back. Guys are using it on the daily basis.

I don't know how similar it would be but Cinemag has an 8.7:1 transformer, the CMO-15/200CT. I don't see a PDF spec sheet on their site so I don't know if it's still available.
The 13101 or any other BV8F recreation (9:1) are more common and have big lamination, so apart from the winding design differences, should do the job pretty well if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
It's not about the ratio, it's about high headroom at the low end as it was suggested earlier multiple times. The one @Gus suggested might do the job.

No, bv8 isn't really an option, as Moby just said, the primary induction is crucial here.

Sowter 7490 maybe?
Pointing to amazing document by @ruffrecords

Attachments

• TransformerInductance.pdf
    51.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Based on user feedback 8,5:1 BV11 is pretty special with this circuit. Similar inductance and humbucking an additional benefit.

Is it possible to achieve similar parameters if using a toroidal transformer based on cobalt amorphous alloy?

Latest posts

Back