Woke Madness

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hodad said:
I guess people should read it.  Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to parse.  In general, it might be fair to say that snippets of Trump's comments are quite often pulled out of the larger context--in positive and negative ways--simply because it's so hard to figure out what the f()ck he's saying.
Interesting that his justification for waiting to make a statement was the need to get all the facts, and yet when the reporter mentions David Duke being there, Trump says he didn't know that.  So all that extra time for fact-gathering was apparently for nought.

I guess people should read it.  Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to parse.  In general, it might be fair to say that snippets of Trump's comments are quite often pulled out of the larger context--in positive and negative ways--simply because it's so hard to figure out what the f()ck he's saying.

Man when he starts rambling at a new conference, I'm constantly going ,What!
No filter, just rambling.

fazer said:
Man when he starts rambling at a new conference, I'm constantly going ,What!
No filter, just rambling.
He's not just rambling - he's making inflammatory comments off the top of his head that he thinks will resonate with people who are likely to vote for him, and solidify his base. I hope there are enough voters in the US who are able to think, and see him for what he is, and get him  and his swamp dwellers the hell out.

And the madness continues. Now Adele is attacked for wearing Bantu knots in tribute to the Notting Hill Carnival which this year had to be cancelled due to Covid. Journalist Ernest Owens said "If 2020 couldn't get any more bizarre, Adele is giving us Bantu knots and cultural appropriation that nobody asked for. This officially marks all top white women as problematic. Hate to see it"

On social media, someone said "Bantu Knots are NOT to be worn by white people in any context period"

Another said"If you haven't quite understood cultural appropriation, look at Adele's last Instagram post. She should go to jail no parole for this"

What is the matter with these people?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:

They're morons.

But the fringe elements on Twitter are not representative of the majority of a movement.

Beyond that, I think the obsession with these kinds of issues are a distraction from actual power dynamics, inequality and other very serious and real social ills. These are just fads though, for some people, at the moment, and will pass, I think.

ruffrecords said:
And the madness continues. Now Adele is attacked for wearing Bantu knots in tribute to the Notting Hill Carnival which this year had to be cancelled due to Covid. Journalist Ernest Owens said "If 2020 couldn't get any more bizarre, Adele is giving us Bantu knots and cultural appropriation that nobody asked for. This officially marks all top white women as problematic. Hate to see it"

On social media, someone said "Bantu Knots are NOT to be worn by white people in any context period"

Another said"If you haven't quite understood cultural appropriation, look at Adele's last Instagram post. She should go to jail no parole for this"

Cheers

Ian

I saw that photo. A few folks I know who are POC made jokes with that old phrase of once you go black you never go back.  They had their fun but didn't seem bothered by it.  What I find most interesting is people  who get bothered by it. They usually do not  have a deep connection to the problem, they usually do not have anything better to do so they pick up charges  on behalf of the majority who are more concerned with  other issues elsewhere.  Give people too much time on their hands combined with a sense of they are on the right side of history and you get comments like Adele should be in jail over a hairstyle.  With the rise of the net being at the forefront of our lives in 2020 it allows the fringe to have  a voice that easily gets echoed across things.  I wonder if people ever question the fringe element or do they just go along blindly? More over things like  Adele are low hanging fruit. They do it to feel good about oneself, that they are helping the cause, whatever that maybe. Truth is they are probably not help or hindering  any causes just muddying the waters.

Cultural appropriation , my guess is that has been with us as long as we've been around on planet earth.

Does all the white mans blues out of England in the late 60's now belong in the dustbin because of a handful of divisory individuals shouting about cultural (miss)appropriation?

Should white rappers now be blacklisted for the same reasons?
I know many here probably dont like rap music much , Im not a huge fan either ,at the same time going down the road of telling people how they wear their hair and the kind of music they play sounds more like facism or the hard line communism/capitolism of old.

Instead of the great hope we had for the internet and freedom of expression ,it seems more likely that polarisation along the outer fringes is whats taking place instead. Were it not for some of the old time blues masters ,European music might still be caught up back in the days of school boy choirs, orchestras and opera .

By the way long long before the outspoken R&B and rap artists of today were doing the rounds there was artists such as Lucille Bogan with songs like 'Shave em dry' , that has to be heard to be believed  ;D  Even the bad boy gangster rappers of today dont come close.

What is the matter with these people? /

Cultural appropriation

Problems with it being a sort of accusatorial check valve...problems it raises with epistemological appropriation should slam the coffin lid tight on it.

Edit: We should all be working to reduce each other's suffering while not pointing out what that suffering should look like.

JohnRoberts said:
For TMI back last century when we were looking to hire a new product manager to work inside Peavey, the VP (a CA guy) asked me privately what I thought about considering a black candidate for the product  manager position. I told him yes absolutely just to shake things up, but that was the last I heard of that idea. I was not the one who needed to be convinced. 
JR

There are so many ways to demolish this comment, but I think the easiest is to take it at face value.  So if you, JR, are so down with the black man that you expressed willingness to actually work for one, why is it you choose to stand shoulder to shoulder with the white supremacists who have become such an integral part of the modern GOP?  Why do you support a president who regularly demonizes black and brown people to gain political points? 
I noticed upstream that you stated BLM and other racial justice protests have set the movement back decades, so maybe you think that white supremacists are right to feel aggrieved by these outrageous people who have the audacity to protest systemic racism?  Is that why you choose to join them in supporting a race-baiting president? 

I am well aware that you do not need or want me to tell you what you think, but I'm confused by how you reconcile your professed wokeness with your attachment to racists and race baiters.  Highly confusing.

This should sum up the ridiculous insensitivity very well. Just saw a genius with this on his business vehicle. Can't imagine why our country is going bonkers.

Attachments

• 596974150de9121036575566-large.jpg
    596974150de9121036575566-large.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 0
https://youtu.be/Z7-TTWgiYL4
JohnRoberts said:
Not on my playlist.
No? Way to be closed minded. Let me make it easier for you.
https://youtu.be/c-bwzDMSOk8

JohnRoberts said:
From where I sit a lot has changed since 1987 (actually since the 60s) mostly for the better...
I'm confused, as well are the artists that wrote this song. Pretty sure there's a forum member here that might have worked with these guys on this one. Why don't you PM that person and see what the artists might have had to say? I don't even want "the dirt". Open your mind. Unfortunately, "freedom" has intertwined these issues. I can't believe where we are at as a country.

Attachments

• 596974150de9121036575566-large.jpg
    596974150de9121036575566-large.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 0
The incoming boss of the BBC has reversed the decision to have only instrumental only  version of Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Britannia at the last night of the proms.. There will now be some singers there to sing the words. A victory for common sense.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
The incoming boss of the BBC has reversed the decision to have only instrumental only  version of Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Britannia at the last night of the proms.. There will now be some singers there to sing the words. A victory for common sense.

Hurray! At least the really important issues get solved these days... Now to finally end that War on Christmas...

living sounds said:
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/09/donald-trump-and-his-allies-are-trying-to-rewrite-the-history-of-charlottesville/

mother jones is on par with Fox News.  I wouldn't use them if I was being serious in a discussion.

living sounds said:
Hurray! At least the really important issues get solved these days... Now to finally end that War on Christmas...
Yes, it is important. The silent majority just kicked the ass of the vocal minority. About time too.

Cheers

Ian

The thing that sparked this thread was people speculating that the BBC dropped it because of the lyrics.

The BBC has consistently said that they didn't want to put a bunch of singers on stage. They said it again when they announced the reversal of their decision:
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53998584

It's not like the BBC issued conflicting reports about why it was doing the songs as instrumentals. And instead of just believing the BBC about the safety concerns during a goddamn pandemic and not asking some singers to put their livelihoods in danger because everyone couldn't just sing at home, a bunch of people now get to claim that they won some sort of victory against people who were just making stuff up in the first place. I mean, I'm sure they'll test everyone who is going to be performing and the chance of them infecting or being infected is probably low*, but it really is just selfish to ask singers to put themselves on the line to keep everyone from singing at home on their own. Doesn't sound like much of a victory to me, defeating an enemy that doesn't exist and putting people in danger needlessly.

My questions are: Why didn't people just believe the BBC when they said it wasn't some "woke madness" as the title claims but simple safety concerns? Why is the BBC's official statement less convincing than random people online people who don't work there? Any why was the seemingly only acceptable solution for some people to have real live humans on stage singing?

*EDIT: I feel I need to acknowledge that you folks are doing better than many parts of the U.S. right now, but it still feels like unnecessary danger to me.

Latest posts

Back