You do WHAT for a living?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your excuse for DIY gear?

• Musician

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Technician

• Engineer (music)

• Engineer (radio/tv)

• Engineer (live sound)

• Homestudio (studio at home)

• Homestudio (bedroom)

• None of the above - I have no excuse...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm an international playboy mainly based on the French Riviera ! Oh hang on, I woke up !!

In reality I do loads of different stuff on a self employed basis all around the music business somehow.

Recently including studio installs, gear repairs/restoration, live sound, studio engineering, teaching, making custom studio furniture, installing desks. etc etc .................

In the past I was a semi pro musician for about 20 years, & just pulled out of part owning a studio last april, I used to do some film extra work.

Self employed I have made a living from product design, prototyping, modelmaking, photography and playing guitar for 30 years, last 22 being in UK. But now nearing fifty, I cant keep up with all that anymore. So, at the moment I design and manufacture robot arms for research and education. I am also in the process of setting up a recording facility in Istanbul in a partnership with my sister.

Union lawyer. I do this stuff to stay connected to musicians in the area, so I fix or build things for local musicians. Keeps me sane.

Wasn't there a good thread on people's occupations up here recently?

My day job for the money is technician in a broadcast company.
was hired for fixing (eh - 99% is supporting) Pro Tools Systems.

times changed and at weekends and late shifts I'm alone, and have to repair / support everything what can happen with 7 radio stations and two TV channels :roll:
this is from analogue Neumann to digital Lawo.

besides this I'm a technical consultant for different famous artists in berlin - planing and building up their live setups and studios up to their private MacBooks. this is for fun and money.

my bedroom studio is actually our living room :green:
which is the same room where I build up all this stuff :shock:
and I do some music there, too :thumb:
we just released a CD :grin:

journeyman linesman
daddy
build gear in spare time
repair amps occasionally
maintain a/v, lighting, plumbing etc. for a client from my former employer whom went out of business
brew beer

I'm Electromechanical technician...

I work for a Vending cie....and since the first day i started i wanted to quit...

I wish i'd work in something i love like DIY...

Started off as a studio slave several years ago.

Now a Tech/Engineer mostly for TV and film Post but a do a few bands occasionally.
Also work for sound artists bringing their ideas to fruition, currently turning a Yugoslav anti-tank launcher into a Theremin. :shock:

by the stack of cv's we get every month one very lucky mofo... :green:

I am a Scenic Artist for tv/film/commercials/private homes.

Bedroom Studio and mini metrology lab throughout the rest of my house.

Not married, no kids....so more $$ for projects.

=FB=

Self employed computer/network service guy in a mom n' pop shop. Mom is wicked good with software problems. I'm more hardware oriented.

I also specialize in natural gas, but mostly only after mealtime.
:twisted:

self employed auto welder, was in a partnership till four weeks ago when the other guy upt and left with most of the work ... just making ends meet but not sure about the future :?

music wise bought a bass on a sat afternoon in 1985 and did a gig that night, since then successfully failed to learn the bass but have found that i am naturally at home behind the glass, so i live there.

Iain

Master Electrician, small business owner. Obsessed with vacuum tubes. Retired musician, studio engineer, live sound guy. I still dabble in all 3 once in a blue moon.

I live in a "World" of Voice Over!
For some it's an unending life of Suspense and Terror, for other's
it's a Heart-warming affirmation of the can-do American spirit inside us all.
Supplies are limited, 9.6% A.P.R. financing on all in dealer stock, offer ends
November 12th- See in House Studio for details.
Offer not available in Guam and Puerto Rico.
Rated R. Under 17 not admitted without parent.
Must be 18 to play!

Recording Engineer in music. Lately it's been tuning vocals and editing drums for artists that that have tons of money but zero talent. The rest of my time is spent dreaming of a time filled with good music, true professionals, and the smell of analog tape.

Hi,

I am designing Sound Systems for Homes, Gyms, Shopping Malls & Resturants etc.

Dinesh

[quote author="SWNYC"] Lately it's been tuning vocals and editing drums for artists that that have tons of money but zero talent.[/quote]

so you have pretty much work these days :green:

[quote author="SWNYC"] Lately it's been tuning vocals and editing drums for artists that that have tons of money but zero talent.[/quote]

Don't move to Bolton UK, they haven't got the money to make the lack of talent passable.....

Iain

[quote author="SWNYC"] Lately it's been tuning vocals and editing drums for artists that that have tons of money but zero talent. [/quote]

For the last two weeks or so, I have been bombarded here in my home office during the working week with the ampitheater-enhanced*, loud, tradesman-type speech of a bunch of painters working at the next-door apartment. In addition to the endless harangues, jokes, and occasional dialogue actually pertaining to something about the job at hand, one of them from time to time deploys his boombox.

I don't know the radio station, but after a while I realized that the curiously robotic, but in-tune vocals often featured, are probably the consequence, at least to some extent, of a reliance on studio-effected tuning. And then I thought that what would have been something of an embarrassment (like, man, you can't even f&*king sing??**) has now possibly become a "feature"---part of the style/genre.

*They often group in the bottom story garage, which effectively concentrates their noise and beams it very effectively at my windows.

** As my late father used to say, although hardly his original: "He couldn't carry a tune in a bucket!"

I'm sure we all did this not so long ago ??

Anyway, Musician/Programmer and Writer since about 1986 and have a small
but well equipped studio at home.
Played Piano and Bass at school and got my first "synth" in 1979 - a Yamaha CS10.
Did a stint "part time" for Peavey UK when they had a line of synths etc, as a
demonstrator and technical training, also helped develop a few products and
made some sample library for them.
Currently doing regular Live work with Alphaville - German synth pop stars
for whom I MD and run the live show from a Macbook along with the rest of
the band ( Vocals / Guitar / Drums / Me )
Have also done a ton of sessions and music for TV / Film also, including a 5.1
mix last year.
Spend far too much time in front of my Mac "fiddling with plugins" these days !!
( technical term for Adjusting )

MM.

Back