You do WHAT for a living?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your excuse for DIY gear?

• Musician

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Technician

• Engineer (music)

• Engineer (radio/tv)

• Engineer (live sound)

• Homestudio (studio at home)

• Homestudio (bedroom)

• None of the above - I have no excuse...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bcarso, if you have a 100Mhz function generator, you can take out that radio if it's close. When people fire up loud radios around me, I flip on the HP RF gen, connect it to a 30" wire and modulate some Polka music for a few hundred foot radius.=)
Works a treat.

[quote author="Larrchild"]I flip on the HP RF gen, connect it to a 30" wire and modulate some Polka music for a few hundred foot radius.=)
Works a treat.[/quote]

I need that.
Bad Latin music on about 5 different radios, each with a different Spanish station, each within hearing distance from each other, each cranked-up to about 50% distortion...at my I work. (add saws, grinding, dust, and stress...it's a wonder I'm still alive.)

Once, I accidentally made a TV jammer with a couple of fet's feeding an opamp.
But who has analog TV anymore??

=FB=

[quote author="Larrchild"]Bcarso, if you have a 100Mhz function generator, you can take out that radio if it's close. When people fire up loud radios around me, I flip on the HP RF gen, connect it to a 30" wire and modulate some Polka music for a few hundred foot radius.=)
Works a treat.[/quote]

Larry, I actually made an FM jamming transmitter for a security guard friend, who had a neighbor who would play his FM radio in his bathroom while doing his early morning prep before going to work. The security guy worked graveyard shift or something pretty late. He had asked the guy to consider turning the thing down a bit and got a complete f&*k-you attitude.

I didn't put quite enough power into it though---it worked fine for his own local receiver but not well enough to take out the adjacent apartment one. It clearly needed a better antenna.

I may have also told the story in here of the AM transmitter at a crystal-controlled 1.333 MHz (4.000 MHz crystal divided by three) I made for another (now ex-) friend. He had neighbors who blasted LA's KWKW out of the open doors of their trucks. When I tested it in a long room at Harman one night with someone's boombox tuned to the 1.330 MHz station, it worked beautifully---waaay overloaded the front end of the receiver and heavily crossmodulated all the audio, while producing an overriding 3.3kHz whine.

I had nearly gotten round to building it into a box that would be difficult to recognize as what it was, when the neighbors switched over to playing cassettes. I pointed out that to jam those would endanger life....

If you want to do it up right, take a 100 Mhz vco and modulate it with a 200 Khz square wave. Than add audio to the VCO loop.

Amplify the output of the VCO to about 1 watt and you now have an FM jammer that puts out on every FM station on the band simultaneously.

I've often dreamed of one of these in my car to address those bad drivers we all encounter. What you are doing is creating a comb of little spikes across the entire FM band at the exact spacing of FM channels, so no energy gets wasted in "the cracks". between channels.

I'm proud to say I make records for living. I also compose music for sports television and advertising. As the music industry takes a big dump on itself, I am fortunate enough to be involved in a situation where some dumb rich guy is putting up money to develop new artists. Hey, I'll take the gig... Turns out the music has been damn good too...

Made it through another year on music... We'll see what next year holds.

[quote author="Larrchild"]Bcarso, if you have a 100Mhz function generator, you can take out that radio if it's close. When people fire up loud radios around me, I flip on the HP RF gen, connect it to a 30" wire and modulate some Polka music for a few hundred foot radius.=)
Works a treat.[/quote]

I did this stuff in my teens to frighten my neighbors. 5W FM transmitter on the roof of a three appartment buildung worked like a charm. Hehehe, they never found out who was yelling at them. :green:

My working life is split right down the middle. In spring and summer I work as a sound designer for one of North America's largest "rep" theatres. I love this job, we've got a great little studio with an awesome mic locker that I can use any time I like. And I'm surrounded by freakishly talented people....actors, singers, dancers and top shelf musicians. I remember just a few months ago I was mixing a pop tune in the studio and I thought to myself....this song could use some backup vocals...so I literally popped my head out of the door and asked the first two people I saw to come in and lay down some tracks (which they happily did) :D
Then in the autumn and winter when the theatre is dark I work from my shop where I build guitars. Acoustics & electrics mostly, but I like to try just about anything so I have built accordians, drums, speaker cabinets and of course audio DIY! I love both my jobs because of the change-up...just when I start to get a little bored at the theatre the season is over and I jump into guitar world and vice-versa, when I start getting a bit stir crazy from working all alone in my shop it's time to go back to the theatre. ;D
But even now that I am in guitar mode I will be taking the next couple of weeks off to produce a recording for a country band. The great thing is that the theatre allows me to use the studio facilties for outside projects like this.
I consider myself very lucky :)
Freddy

Ex journeyman carpenter.  Ex high end graphics retouching. Ex studio tech for a major 5 room recording studio in L.A. famous for custom and API consoles (rebuilt 2 API's still in operation).  Project studio owner/engineer since 1989.  Still producing and recording.  Now.....I'm an engineer developing semiconductor test programs for the ATE industry.  Soon to be a business owner.........unless the economy gets worse!

Regards,
Jeff

I'm a bum.All my shit is in pawn and I'm going hungry living in my car.Can't even get a job at mcdonalds.life is great.

I'm a professional food stamp casher-inner. Not really. I gave up that occupation a few years back because my poor-health would no longer allow me to live as a free man. These days I write computer algorithms. However, I'm hoping for another Great Depression so I can get laid off and start writing music again.

I'm a broadcast engineer, that being someone who fixes all kinds of broken stuff at a TV & Radio station.

Once upon a time I'd hoped to do the operational stuff working on tv and radio shows, but one way or another that opportunity was removed.

hmm, I don't know what I'll become yet. As for now I'm playing double bass and studying electrical engineering, but hoping to become sound engineer/producer one day.. heh

For a living....well, i´m a studio engineer, working in the top recording studio in Colombia. But I´ts not a lot of money, plus new daughter so i´m always looking for other alternatives !  For those of you who think that winning a Grammy (i won a latin grammy in 2007, but received it a couple months ago) means more money and / or more work, well, it doesn´t !!!!! , at least in my case. I still have the gramophone in it´s box, sitting next to my DIY parts storage and my unfinished projects.

I'm a vocal artist, composer, producer, studio owner and have 6 published CD's with my band ... I spent all the money I made in past 20 years on girls  ;)

I'm a bass player / structural engineer when i can be bothered. It's kinda handy having something like that to fall back on, even though half the stuff I worked on 2 months ago has been canned and the price of steel has shot up... Oh well.

Larrchild said:
If you want to do it up right, take a 100 Mhz vco and modulate it with a 200 Khz square wave. Than add audio to the VCO loop.

Amplify the output of the VCO to about 1 watt and you now have an FM jammer that puts out on every FM station on the band simultaneously.

I've often dreamed of one of these in my car to address those bad drivers we all encounter.  What you are doing is creating a comb of little spikes across the entire FM band at the exact spacing of FM channels, so no energy gets wasted in "the cracks". between channels.

wish i understood that, think it would work wonders here in deepest chav land

Professional Makeup Artist/Wigmaker for screen and stage, however currently pay in that field is so low
in Germany I decided to go into business for myself with my now ex-wife. Going it alone, hard cookie
and mad hours, but slowly getting off the ground, and if you have a dream, you know...run with it.

Latest posts

Back