BLUE Microphones KIWI PCB

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vakimus

Hello everyone,

I have a Blue KIWI and I'd like to start a KIWI Clone project.
I was wondering if there's a KIWI PCB clone that I can get or maybe someone can actually cone the original PCB for me.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

Well whats so magic about it, that youd like to clone it??
Does it sound like a U87??

the policy around here is that if a product its still in production we dont clone it!

Here is the original PCB i am talking about ...

Attachments

• IMG_0794.JPG
    IMG_0794.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 126
It's a BLUE Kiwi capsule, that is used only in KIWI microphones, but I'm gonna use U47 or U67 capsule if I get the PCB cloned.
I want to experiment with it and see how it's gonna sound.

I do not worry about the capsule, I just need the PCB to be cloned so I can start the project. I need help with that !!!

3nity said:
the policy around here is that if a product its still in production we dont clone it!

http://bluemic.com/kiwi/

http://www.thomann.de/pt/blue_kiwi_kondensatormikrofon.htm

New Design , New Company , Product being Offered in all major stores.

Check the other DIY microphone offerings in the white market, I'm sure you will be satisfied with one of the projects already available.

guys, I really appreciate your help, but I need this exact PCB to be cloned.
I know about other DIY kits, projects, parts and PCB, but I am not interested in other projects yet, I wanna do this one and maybe then I will think about starting a C12 or a U47 project.
So if these's someone who can clone that PCB, please send me a private message. Or maybe you can recommend a company that can do it, that would help too.

Thanks,

Please respect that this is a DIY forum not a hire-some-guy-to-reverse-engineer-current-products forum. These are your first posts here, and the first thing you do is against our forum ethics.

First and formemost this place is about sharing knowledge, not about taking away from some manufacturer.

Rossi said:
Please respect that this is a DIY forum not a hire-some-guy-to-reverse-engineer-current-products forum. These are your first posts here, and the first thing you do is against our forum ethics.

First and formemost this place is about sharing knowledge, not about taking away from some manufacturer.

I DO respect and I am not against the forum rules, because I am starting a DIY project. Just because I am trying to clone the BCP, doesn't mean I am taking away from the manufacturer.
I found lots of cloned PCBs in this forum and it doesn't mean they are taking away from AKG or Neumann, even if they are discontinued.
I am going to experiment and see what I can come up with, and at the end SHARE all the information and results with you guys.  If that against this forums rules, then I am probably in the wrong place.

What is cloned here are usually products that have been out of production for ages. What you want to do is clone a current product. These are your first posts, nobody knows who you are or what you are going to do with the cloned PCB.

If you really want to learn about this circuit, draw a schematic. Then analyze it or post it so people can help you understand it. Just 1:1 cloning won't teach you anything. And if all you need is one PCB, then why not get some perfboard and build the damn thing. May not look as pretty but works the same, so who cares?

I love the Blue Kiwi, and would be interested in cloning one.
I agree with Rossi's points completely. It's a great learning experience - drawing out a schematic and pcb layout. There's an acceptable middle ground in cloning for personal use which is quite a long way from starting a business venture around an available product.

The only thing I don't understand is what's stopping you?
You've got the PCB. Whip out the DMM and start tracing. DIY is the fun part.

All that said, you'd likely be just as happy with Matador's C12 clone. Most of the Kiwi's magic lies in the capsule.  The PCB is just the spoon that delivers the ice cream.

If you want another Kiwi, buy another Kiwi.  They're less money on the used market.    Why don't you use your existing KIWI and put a new capsule on it if you want to see how it sounds.  But copying the PCB is pissing people off.

Did you see the lawsuits between Violet and BLUE a while back?

Did you get the policy of not messing with in-production mics?

If you want to see the schematic for education, call BLUE, they may share elements with you.  But to fabricate your own when they are commercially available is a no-no on this forum and you're going to piss people off.

Maybe I'm not correctly reading your intent, if so, I apologize in advance.  But it seems like you are not living in the spirit of this group.  Modify your existing Kiwi with a new capsule = cool.  Copying the PCB of an existing product is crap.

Treelady said:
If you want another Kiwi, buy another Kiwi.  They're less money on the used market.    Why don't you use your existing KIWI and put a new capsule on it if you want to see how it sounds.  But copying the PCB is pissing people off.

Did you see the lawsuits between Violet and BLUE a while back?

Did you get the policy of not messing with in-production mics?

If you want to see the schematic for education, call BLUE, they may share elements with you.  But to fabricate your own when they are commercially available is a no-no on this forum and you're going to piss people off.

Maybe I'm not correctly reading your intent, if so, I apologize in advance.  But it seems like you are not living in the spirit of this group.  Modify your existing Kiwi with a new capsule = cool.  Copying the PCB of an existing product is crap.

Just FYI it is a lot easier to get prosecuted in the court of law if you are manufacturing/designing PCBs with the intent to look exactly like the original ones...from my understanding it is harder to copyright a circuit, but easy to copyright "artwork"

So be smart, you want a KIWI, buy a kiwi. You want to make a really great mic DIY style, make a great mic DIY style! I would be surprised if there is anything going on under the hood of that circuit that will change the sound THAT much compared to a good u87 style circuit...

Back