Re: DIY rotary DJ mixer
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2018, 07:01:24 PM »
Also, I've been thinking about the preamps.. if they become unavailable I can probably fit new components and IC's but in general, how questionable it is to copy/reverse-engineer a PCB/schematic? Or would it be better to come up with a design and roll my own? I feel I haven't really DIY'd anything.. (edit : same goes for the EQ too, although I never really paid attention to filter design.. I'm not looking to sell these though, I'll be lucky to get it working in the first place.. maybe make another prototype with faders or something)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 07:18:34 AM by efinque »

« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2018, 04:24:06 AM »
Cleaned the HP amp PCB a bit.. it's got jumper wires etc. I was thinking of getting rid of the whole thing (edit : I think it doesn't make much of a difference for home use, my PM-90 has about 1/5 useable range in the HP vol)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 04:41:20 AM by efinque »

« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2018, 06:04:50 PM »
Tested with "ungrounded" pots.. doesn't make much of a difference though.

ruffrecords

« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2018, 07:09:30 PM »
Also, I've been thinking about the preamps.. if they become unavailable I can probably fit new components and IC's but in general, how questionable it is to copy/reverse-engineer a PCB/schematic?

Anywhere from questionably ethical to downright illegal.

As anyone can buy it, it is in the public domain. Therefore you can copy it unless the owner has copyrighted it (by simply placing a copyright notice on it) or by registering the design in which cases it is illegal.

Cheers

Ian
www.customtubeconsoles.com
https://mark3vtm.blogspot.co.uk/
www.eztubemixer.blogspot.co.uk

'The only people not making mistakes are the people doing nothing'

Re: DIY rotary DJ mixer New
« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2018, 01:50:54 PM »
Took out the HP amp.. no sound whatsoever, I thought the line preamps alone would've sufficed (edit : for home use)

The problem with that in the long run could be the impedance; the headphones I've been using for testing are 55ohm (most DJ headphones are in that range)

EDIT : I'm also trying to get rid of pops in the master when switching the PFL source.. I remember reading a (shunt?) capacitor somewhere solves the problem.

EDIT 2 : some of the copper traces peeled off during soldering (I think it's because I had my iron at 450C), maybe rebuild it on perfboard?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 02:41:14 PM by efinque »