Microphone splitter with 10K:10K transformers?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrclunk

I've a job where i need several mic splits to feed a PA.
I've a bunch of high quality Sowter 10K line input transformers i could use.
Just wondering if i could get away with using them for isolated outs to the PA?
The splits are just for a sound re-enforcement for particular  instruments. The direct feeds will be going to a recording rig.
Suppose i should just hook one up and test....

hard wire splits are pretty common and generally work.  Most mics can accommodate the somewhat lower termination Z. Some monitor consoles even use higher input termination to not load hard wire splits.

A good transformer split will normalize the termination Z but in doing so drops level to the two sends.

JR

Thanks John,
It'll be a mixture of dynamics and condensers.
My main reason for transformer isolation is because the PA kit might be miles away from the recording setup in an old church. Might be some long ground loops. Just trying to cover all the bases.
I'm not let out the studio normally, never really done live stuff.

The 10K windings will have about 1K of copper resistance which adds significantly to the ~~150r self-resistance of a microphone.

In my ears, it will hiss like an old CRATE powered head I once met, which used two 680r resistors for a "balanced" input on one op-amp instead of a proper mike-amp. During set-up, the hiss was very apparent. I must admit that when we got the audience in, it wasn't obnoxious.

Why not try one channel before you go mad with a 72-jack splitter box?

mrclunk said:
I've a job where i need several mic splits to feed a PA.
I've a bunch of high quality Sowter 10K line input transformers i could use.
Just wondering if i could get away with using them for isolated outs to the PA?
The splits are just for a sound re-enforcement for particular  instruments. The direct feeds will be going to a recording rig.
Suppose i should just hook one up and test....
10k xfmrs are inadequate for mic splitting. Well, some signal will pass, but attenuated (depending on the input Z of the equipment receiving) and treble loss is bound to occur too. Noise will come as a free gift  :( .

Thanks guys, i hooked one 10K:10K up and it affected the mic pres on the "direct out" and the iso out was down in level like you said. Wrong transformer for the job!
Hired a 12 channel unit from down the road for £50 instead, saved a ton of bother!

Latest posts

Back