Operating 50hz equipment on a 60hz electricity network

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilan

Hi,
I have an active band pass filter that made in Europe and it powered with an AC /AC adaptor with PRI of 230v - 50Hz and SEC of 18V 1000mA
If I would like to operate it in the US can I use a standard PRI of 120V - 60Hz to SEC of 18V 1000mA or since the original operates under 50Hz I should get a special transformer that converts 60Hz to 50Hz?

You should be fine using a 60Hz one as long as there are no synchronous motors in the device you are powering that rely on an assumed mains frequency.

Cheers

Ian

smilan said:
I have an active band pass filter that made in Europe and it powered with an AC /AC adaptor with PRI of 230v - 50Hz and SEC of 18V 1000mA
If I would like to operate it in the US can I use a standard PRI of 120V - 60Hz to SEC of 18V 1000mA or since the original operates under 50Hz I should get a special transformer that converts 60Hz to 50Hz?
There's no such thing. You can't convert 60Hz to 50Hz. Impossible. But fortunately it doesn't matter. What does matter is that you can't plug something for 230V into a 120V outlet because it won't make 18V, it will only make about 120/230*18=9.4V. However, if you're lucky, the transformer will have an alternative wiring to it. Open it up and see. If you're really lucky there might be a switch or jumper. If you're not sure what you're looking at, post a of the primary side of the transformer, the wires coming out of it and any try to clearly capture any labels / numbers on it.

smilan said:
Hi,
If I would like to operate it in the US can I use a standard PRI of 120V - 60Hz to SEC of 18V 1000mA
yes..
or since the original operates under 50Hz I should get a special transformer that converts 60Hz to 50Hz?
The mains frequency will not be a problem, as long as it gets the same 18VAC with 1000mA capability. If anything the 60 Hz supply will generate less ripple inside your band pass filter, so it will be happy not sad.

The mains frequency is a concern for transformer size, but buying a 60 Hz external PS will already account for that. 

JR

Only time I have ever seen that as an issue  is with a hammond organ. But that is the tone wheel motor in action. It will play flat.  without any modifications and kits installed when moving the organ  from the U.S. the europe.

Latest posts

Back