Atlantic Phonic Renaissance Microphone mod/upgrade?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForthMonkey

Hello,

Any way to mod/upgrade Renaissance Microphone without changing capsule? I can't find schematic.

It's trafoless design. Possible to add transformer?

Please tell me if you know anything about that mic.

Thanks.

Seems to have quality capsule, and components. Anything particular you don't like about it?

I guess you could re-bias FET, but it's not the easiest thing to do, and question if that would get you anywhere. Maybe change electrolytics if they are in the signal path.

Here's some info, there are building pics.

https://www.micandmod.com/discontinued-products/replica-microphones-renaissance-47-diy-kit.html?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj-iOLfy8_dAhVCWSwKHZSgB_oQ9QEwAHoECAMQBQ

kingkorg said:
Seems to have quality capsule, and components. Anything particular you don't like about it?

I guess you could re-bias FET, but it's not the easiest thing to do, and question if that would get you anywhere. Maybe change electrolytics if they are in the signal path.

Here's some info, there are building pics.

https://www.micandmod.com/discontinued-products/replica-microphones-renaissance-47-diy-kit.html?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj-iOLfy8_dAhVCWSwKHZSgB_oQ9QEwAHoECAMQBQ

Hi,

Thanks for reply but mine is not this mic.

I have this one.

https://www.micandmod.com/discontinued-products/atlantic-phonic-renaissance-microphone.html

I have no issue with that mic, actually. But maybe there is a way to improve it more. Just wanted to ask...

It is a  modified 'Schoeps' design, combined with a DC/DC converter, producing + and - 60 V. for the polarisation voltage of the capsule.
I don't think there is very much to improve. Distortion of the audio circuit is < 0.02% at high levels. Components were hand selected. Self noise is very low.
Adding a transformer would only increase distortion.
There is a trimmer to adjust the polarisation voltage, and one to set the FET bias. But both are adjusted for optimal performance.
I designed this microphone. And to avoid further questions or remarks: yes, I was payed for the design...

RuudNL said:
It is a  modified 'Schoeps' design, combined with a DC/DC converter, producing + and - 60 V. for the polarisation voltage of the capsule.
I don't think there is very much to improve. Distortion of the audio circuit is < 0.02% at high levels. Components were hand selected. Self noise is very low.
There is a trimmer to adjust the polarisation voltage, and one to set the FET bias. But both are adjusted for optimal performance.
I designed this microphone. And to avoid further questions or remarks: yes, I was payed for the design...

Hi RuudNL,

Thanks for reply.

So, no need to do anything with that mic. I will leave it as it is.

Thanks for replies.

RuudNL said:
Best Internet reply of the day, by Ruud van Steenis!

Back