When we die

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert

GDIY Supporter
Not to be morbid, but what happens with our gear when we die?

Do you all have a plan for the gear after death or who cares ?

Most likely a bunch of trash for people who don’t know what it does...

hazel said:
My wife will sell my gear for half the price I told her I paid  ::)

I have two nephews. One is a musician the other a music tech. One gets the gear, the other the instruments.

Cheers

Ian

My youngest wants my u47 for looking cool on youtube.. 

The rest will probably be scrapped by someone that dosen't know better

(come to think of it, it's a pretty good question)

Jakob E.

Swedish folk have a process known as "death cleaning"

The concept being as you move past retirement, you need to start getting rid of clutter before you die, so that you don't burden your family with crap.

My plan is to find an apprentice as I age. I hope it will be my son, he's 7 at the moment, and is currently a hyperactive clone of me. But, if he decides on a different career plan, then I'll take on another apprentice to help out on weekends/school holidays with Expat Audio. (most likely at a loss for me).

At some point, he (or she!) will be gifted the lot. My wife certainly doesn't want to deal with my crap.

I tend to think of it like a business. The actual value of gear, for a business is amortized over a number of years. At some point it's worth zero to a company, even if it's worth something to normal people. All the bins of parts, all the microphones (that are already 20 years old) and the 9 guitars hanging on the walls are worth zero to be as a business by the time I roll on.

The only thing I really care about is if they are put to use after I roll on. Getting money out of it isn't worth the effort of listing and trying to sell etc. I want to avoid landfill where possible.

Had a few drinks in me lastnight and after client left I was looking at my growing collection and wondering...

Will my family friends just park the studer a80 out in the front lawn...ha

I guess like anything it needs to be put in writing or understood by whomever.

Mainly I was thinking about all the DIY gear. Lots of my faceplates are knobs only. Haha -  It would take people like us here to know what it is, and it’s value.

I personally want it to go to my nephew at this point..

I had been in packrat accumulation mode for most of my adult life... I shifted gears about 10 years ago to start discarding stuff lacking obvious future value... Computer gear from the 70s had minor historical value, but not enough to justify shipping costs.

More work to do, I still have too much stuff...

I have thrown away a lot of crap and almost never wanted to salvage some parts from something long gone. No regrets.

JR

Attachments

• trash day.JPG
    trash day.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 34
I am more worried what will happen to me after I die. I have stated specifically that when I go, I want to be buried face down. If things are going to go on like I think they will after I go, when I roll over in my grave I will be comfortable.

Funny I was just talking to my brother about this two days ago. I'd have to interview some people before letting the mixer go.
Haven't even finished the darn thing and I'm already talking about giving it away...  ::) 
If sold for profit, money would go to charity.

ruffrecords said:
I have two nephews. One is a musician the other a music tech. One gets the gear, the other the instruments.

Cheers

Ian

Lucky you, lucky them

I'm wandering if my two cats will enjoy my fear as much as I do ;D

On a more positive note, if I get to Heaven, the band I would like to record would be:

Buddy and Lennon writing songs,  Elvis lead vocals, Hendrix on lead guitar,  George Harrison on rhythm guitar, Keith Moon on drums, John Entwhistle on bass and George Martin producing/arranging.

Cheers

Ian

The time it would take to get rid of it is an important factor as well,  If I had to get rid of stuff quickly I'd have to give it away
So I'm pairing down to essentials & proven workhorses ,  letting go of bigger ticket items.
the unrealized value of parts would be another headache , my family would probably have to throw out the things they didn't
know what they were

Back