COVID-19

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
. In an office space you can just completely exchange the air but this is not energy efficient
That's why they suggest opening windows here. Very efficient -- at least until somebody falls out from F46  ;)

Official office workspace temperature in brutal month of August in Japan is 28 degrees Celsius (introduced in 2010 after triple disaster). Outside might be 35 Celsius and higher in the shade. So me get work. However, humidity can be 95, oumph! Aircons here have dryers -- but with windows opened ?

Blood types. Works more like an additional marker (an in-hospital  patient's risk assessment), than being of interest for 'people'. Interesting nonetheless.

Also being investigated now is neurological damage that might still occur with otherwise asymptomatic or mild 'patients'. It's being looked into, that is.

Script said:
Blood types. Works more like an additional marker (an in-hospital  patient's risk assessment), than being of interest for 'people'. Interesting nonetheless.

Also being investigated now is neurological damage that might still occur with otherwise asymptomatic or mild 'patients'. It's being looked into, that is.
I read an anti mask rant that claimed rebreathing our own virus causes it to climb up our (olfactory?) nerve and up into our brain... I try not to repeat the more spurious claims I see, there are so many.  Sorry....

JR

I have been paying attention to far UVc (shorter wavelength UV) light. While IMO too expensive so not ready for prime time, at least one company is trying to merchandise a $2,500 far UVc ceiling fixture... and only specified to last for 3000 hours.  They are trying to compete with UVc disinfecting robots that cost thousands of dollars.

A new marketing angle I hadn't heard before talks about conventional UVc not being as effective as far UVc for killing microbes. Apparently the conventional UVc only breaks the DNA that can "photo-reactivate" (whatever that is). They claim the shorter far UVc resonates with the outer membrane breaking it apart.

I am still waiting for far UVc LED technology that will be cheaper and longer lasting.

JR

UVc light is good for infecting objects, surfaces and spaces. Used  in overnight maintenance on public transport vehicles (for instance by China, who are predestined to produce cheaply).

UVc light is effective at destroying genetic material – unfortunately not only in viral particles but also in humans.

So bringing UVc light into a human body, where virii reside (and not just onto human skin, which is highly unhealthy already !!!) literally also fries the human body.

Script said:
UVc light is good for infecting objects, surfaces and spaces. Used  in overnight maintenance on public transport vehicles (for instance by China, who are predestined to produce cheaply).
and as I have shared normal UVc is used over night in russia to disinfect school classrooms. One teacher who forgot to turn it off one morning caused eye damage to a bunch of students. YES normal UVc (typically around 250nm) is harmful to humans.
UVc light is effective at destroying genetic material – unfortunately not only in viral particles but also in humans.
um yes...
So bringing UVc light into a human body, where virii reside (and not just onto human skin, which is highly unhealthy already !!!) literally also fries the human body.
So do not do that? (I think we had that discussion back in April).

In case I haven't been clear "far UVc" is more on the order of 220nm.... reportedly safer because it can not penetrate skin or even the tear layer.... Far UVc is shorter wavelength than normal UVc.

Far UVc is being long term tested by columbia university on hairless mice so maybe don't stare into one, but no worry because they are still too expensive to find in wide use now.

There is reportedly a future LED technology that radiates 210nm light which is even shorter wavelength, and LEDs will hopefully be more affordable when mass produced.   

Not holding my breath for cost effective far UVc lamps any time soon, but it could solve a lot of problems when it finally becomes available.

JR

Script said:
That looks like the Columbia University research... their focus was apparently drug resistant bacteria a major problem in hospitals, but killing COVID is a nice benefit.
Haven't read all of it and also not sure I understand enough of it. But this would be for disinfection externally -- equipment and hopefuly people ?
exactly.... disinfect and protect spaces when people are present.
We discussed this in April ? I do not recall. Will check  8)
The "internal UV" sounds like a reference to the media storm back in April when President Trump apparently saw a press release about the Columbia university research and PR from a small company trying to commercialize "far UVc" lamps and made the unscientific leap that human safe UV could be used internally (Note: President Trump is not a scientist or medical expert.)

What were you referring to?

JR

JohnRoberts said:
(Note: President Trump is not a scientist or medical expert.)

LOL.

You really made my day there, John. As if that needed to be pointed out...

This has been disputed by others in the medical community but one doctor in west TX has reported anecdotal "silver bullet" results treating covid with a steroid inhaler like commonly used for asthma.

One of the critical reports called using a steroid inhaler for COVID could be dangerous. I actually used one of those inhalers several years ago when I had a black mold problem in my house (now under control). Back then I was wheezing so much it kept me awake at night. I questioned my doctor about side effects from using steroids and she said the dose was too small and localized to impact immune response.

It looks like some hospitals are using steroids to treat severe COVID cases.

In this climate it is hard to make sense of the press reports surrounding this. The advice for asthma sufferers already using a steroid inhaler is to keep using it.

One way or another we will get smarter about treating this.

JR 

Ya I saw that video as well.  I would want to try it if I got Covid.  I’ve had breathing problems at night but found out I was having problems with red wine.  The prescribed inhaler allowed me to get a full breath very quickly.  I stopped  drinking wine.  .   

According to King's College, London, immunity isn't lasting. Perhaps three to four months, at the most. So prepare for a second wave.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.09.20148429v1

This is also bad news for vaccine development. It would mean either repeated vaccinations, or an entirely different avenue for developers.

Just wanted to share my personal experience with covid-19. I'm one of the many people who actually had the virus.
It started in march, very early in the lockdown here in Belgium (probably got it from a close collegue on the last day before lockdown).

Started with a mild cough, which then got way worse. And then some very heavy chest pains, like nothing i experienced before. Also felt feverish. The fever only lasted for 2 days, the coughing and chest pains about 2 weeks. But the worst 2 things were actually the shortness of breath and the extreme fatigue. That is still not over after about 3,5 months.

In the beginning everything was exhausting. At some point i went to brush my teeth. Not a very heavy effort. But 10 mins after i was done, i was still gasping for breath, laying down in my sofa. Very scary feeling. After a few weeks i could do some minimal efforts. I started with cooking for myself, but my roommate had to take over, because it was too much. At some point (i think after 4-5 weeks) i decided to go do some grocerie shopping. That wasn't a very good idea, because i was completely exhausted afterwards for a few days.

By the beginning of june, i had to go back to work after the lockdown. I'm a teacher and the schools partly re-opened. So i had to go back. It meant that i had to ride my bike to school (about 7 km), teach for 1,5hours, and after some resting, back to my home on my  bike. When i arrived at home, i went to bed. For the rest of the day. (i arrived at home at noon).

Now the school are closed for holidays, until the first of september. And i'm using my time off to recover. I'm riding my bike every other day, slowly rebuilding my condition. But again, i have to recover from those trips for a day. (at the moment i can ride about 10km in one trip, which is ok, but before covid, i had days of 70km).

And just to be clear: i'm not an old, unhealthy guy. I'm 24 years old, cycle a lot, have a healthy bmi, eat semi-healthy,...

Just adding some experience. I hope this all will be over soon (and i'm also talking about the lockdown and other inconveniences).

cyrano said:
According to King's College, London, immunity isn't lasting. Perhaps three to four months, at the most. So prepare for a second wave.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.09.20148429v1

This is also bad news for vaccine development. It would mean either repeated vaccinations, or an entirely different avenue for developers.
That study is not peer reviewed (yet) but we have heard that argument before.

This would pretty much moot the vaccine effort if accurate.

The smartest people in the room (medical community/drug industry) are working on this and looking into alternate vaccine mechanisms (I am not smart enough to explain them all, killer t-cells yadda yadda).

JR

[caveat lector] I am not a medical expert but early press reports about vaccines under development report a several X antibody response VS recovery from mild cases.  [/caveat]

On a recent visit to the dentists office I saw he's installed some fancy air purifier, wall mounted with leds , looks like a bit of a gimmick . Ok maybe it will filter or scrub some particles from the air but most will still probably end up settling on surfaces.

I heard some countries are trying to bring in a vaccination passport for travel , so take a shot of something that might or might not work , or worse might have some unintended interaction with the real virus .
'The smartest people in the room (medical community/drug industry)'  , smart at parting us from our cash with meds that often are no better than a placebo and on occasions have side effects which lead to people being treated with an ever growing stack of pills , ruthless profiteering Id call that ,

David.

Tubetec said:
On a recent visit to the dentists office I saw he's installed some fancy air purifier, wall mounted with leds , looks like a bit of a gimmick . Ok maybe it will filter or scrub some particles from the air but most will still probably end up settling on surfaces.
I suspect there are plenty of scams....  Hepa filters with UV lamps can help.

The last time I went to a dentist, before this COVID sh__ storm, the dentist and assistants were wearing PPE, but maybe that was just because of me.  ;D
I heard some countries are trying to bring in a vaccination passport for travel , so take a shot of something that might or might not work , or worse might have some unintended interaction with the real virus .
never let a crisis go to waste... the bureaucrats are grasping for all the power we will let them take.
'The smartest people in the room (medical community/drug industry)'  , smart at parting us from our cash with meds that often are no better than a placebo and on occasions have side effects which lead to people being treated with an ever growing stack of pills , ruthless profiteering Id call that ,

David.
I hope you never need to depend on modern medicine... as that could go against your personal code.

I am pleased to take advantage of modern medicine as needed but i am optimistic it can still get a lot better.

I operate a business and try to make a profit, but drummers are sooo cheap.

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back