2022 interface and DAW

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quantum let's you bypass the built in preamps. On the ADC side I find it to be excellent. On the DAC side I get a little more out of the Clarett. Plus Thunderbolt is way more fun than USB, none of that Jerry Rig gimmick type monitoring scheme. Input latency is 5 ms and output is 6 ms and I can go lower if needed.

Me too I don't need any preamps. Just inputs! I'd like to be able to record 16 inputs at the same time!

How about the RME Digiface USB?

http://www.economik.com/rme/digiface-usb/
Gives you RME drivers, Digicheck and TotalMix. Up to 32 IO + headphones out. You just need a number of ADAT boxes. Presonus, Behringer ADA8200 or Ferrofish Pulse 16?

The ADAT ports can also be configged as optical spdif, if needed.

I use Harrison Mixbus 32 Cv 7 with RME Ff800 interface on one machine and RME Multiface on another machine. Yes- not the top-end converters, but performance and stability, like an armored train. I have been working with RME since 2005. To connect via ADAT, Alesis XT and Alesis HD24 are available. Since 2001, I have worked in Cubase, Nuendo, Samplitude, Logic, PT Mix, SADiE 4. The last two complexes were with comrades. I stopped at Mixbus 32 C, starting with v3, but for the first time I tried the 1st version.

Me too I don't need any preamps. Just inputs! I'd like to be able to record 16 inputs at the same time!
Exactly. I wish Focusrite make another box with 16 input of A/D with line inputs, instead of an 8 channel box with preamps. I have world class preamps at my disposal. Just give me 16 channels of solid conversion. Even if it's Scarlett conversion. Sounds fine to me.

You should watch Ferrofish converters.

I have one of their legacy 16x16 adat interface and it's works perfectly with my RME ff800.

The newer pulse16 is available with adat, madi and dante.

I adat connect the Presonus and Clarett for 16 ins or 20 outs, but I'll just externally summ 8 stereo pairs and call it a day. I also have the spdif doing external EFX routing of my old hardware Lexicon boxes. And the monitor must be many inches for my mature eyes.

Attachments

• DAW.png
    DAW.png
    560.8 KB · Views: 23
My experience with interfaces, just in case the info helps
EMU1212m - works great now, but had so many exasperating problems getting it working that I was ready to throw it and the PC out the window. After learning what works, I was even able to get this intfc working under WIN10(I have it on an XP PC at this point in time), ~8ms laten @44.1k (tracking only)
Scarlett 2i4, 3rd gen - worked well under WIN10, 8.4ms laten @44.1k (tracking only)
Scarlett 18i8, 3rd gen - works well under WIN10, except that I lose MIDI connection every once in a while, 7.8-8.4msec laten@48k tracking and mixing.......depending on number/type of plugins being used
Keep in mind that this is a sample size of 1 for each intfc
I had an Emu back in 2005 I never made it to work right!

Believe it or not I'm still using protools 8 with an 002 rack
But I'm finding myself limited with no more updates blah blah blah.

What are the DAW option with little learning curve?
What you guys suggest a nice update from the 002 rack? I was considering MOTU but they have lots of troubles with hardware.

Suggestions please.

What hardware troubles? I've been using a MOTU M4 and have found it to be extremely solid. Highly recommended for a small setup. No drivers required on mac too, which I appreciate. If you work with synths at all, MIDI and DC-coupled outs are a nice touch.

Whatever you get, make sure you review not just the hardware specs but the overall user experience of driver installation and software setup.

I like Harrison Mixbus / Ardour for the quick console mixing workflow and open source foundation. But there are lots of good DAW options these days, check out Reaper, Logic, and Ableton.

I've seen that the latest audiofire driver works for win10 for some as well, though I don't think it is officially supported
Haven't tried it but good to know

Jup. Works just fine over here. (running 2 x Audiofire12 on Win10)

edit to stay on topic: DAW is Cakewalk

Yep, RME drivers are very good and they keep support for older interfaces. I still use my fireface800 flawlessly on windows 10 and a good friend of mine uses his even older Hammerfall Multiface.

Service is quite good too. Mine had its fw ports replaced a few years ago. SCV audio was the distributor here at that time.

I can only recommend them.

Lynx is another good one, them and RME are both solid.

On the other end have read not so good things for Antelope support, so probably avoid them.

I don’t mind the Scarlett’s. I have a 2nd gen 2i4 at home, and work with a 3rd gen 18i20 in studio. Haven’t had any issues with them. I don’t use the mic preamps as i have a selection of goodies.
I am a bit annoyed by the Focusrite control for the 3rd gen stuff. My 2nd gen has everything on the front panel. I guess they need to save money on switches and buttons.
I look forward to getting something new and fancy, but I need to upgrade my computer first.

You didn't mention how much you wanted to spend. Surely that is a determining factor.

Most people here are pushing their own setup, but how many alternative setups have people used?

All mainstream DAWs will get the job done and as a hobby studio it doesn't matter too much what you use. Studio one seems to be the flavour of the month/year. Most have demos. I'd record a song in each one and see if you like the workflow. PT is great for commerical but only you can justify the cost for a home studio. People are doing great work in Reaper too. I primarily use Cubase and PT/Logic when i was on mac.

The moves you make inside the DAW make far more difference than the summing engine.

Back