2022 interface and DAW

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The proper way to do things is to dither every time you lower the bit resolution. This would apply for exporting but also internally as well. Every time you use a plugin, or even move a fader, there can be rounding errors. The DAW is constantly going from higher bit depths to lower bit depths. You can truncate these errors which creates distortion, or dither and essentially make it broadband noise"

I'm confused. What is it you are saying by "also internally as well"?

Believe it or not I'm still using protools 8 with an 002 rack
But I'm finding myself limited with no more updates blah blah blah.

What are the DAW option with little learning curve?
What you guys suggest a nice update from the 002 rack? I was considering MOTU but they have lots of troubles with hardware.

Suggestions please.
Are you trying to stay with your current computer too? Meaning a FireWire interface? If so, I’d look at RME as their stuff is, and has been, rock solid.

In terms of DAW I’d ask what the work flow is mostly. If you use a lot of midi hardware I know Digital Performer is regarded highly. Soft synths would go to Logic I think. I use Studio one and it’s a great alternative for tracking and editing like PT but I always have issue with hardware midi timing. There’s a lot to consider.

Ah, well I’ve been using RMEs pcie card system and I like the latency and stability. If you will have thunderbolt then I’d look at Motus 1248 and related products. I have their USB base 24ao and it sound very nice though I might buy another RME card and run the Motu through adat… not sure. If I upgrade computers I maybe trade the RME for a thunderbolt Motu and use their LAN connection for the 24ao to keep latency down.

I'm using the Audiofire12, which I love - but it's going obsolete as their aren't maintained drivers (stuck on win7). 12 channels I/O, simple line level, great mixer software. I have 3 or 4 of them but have never tracked with more than 24 channels at once. But they are everything I'd want from a recording system. But I think I'm on borrowed time with the old OS. Currently I use cakewalk or reaper for the DAW.
I tried a focusrite scarlett awhile ago and the interface seemed fine but the mixer was terrible. I couldn't believe they released a piece of software that was that bad. Kind of expect similar annoyances with behringer, etc...
I haven't looked at interfaces for a few years, but looking at RME and Lynx, spending $3k-$4k to essentially get what I have now seems absurd.
I auditioned several interfaces several years ago and thought the differences were really small, so I'm just wanting the functionality.
I don't want an interface with any preamps, just a simple line level I/O with a decent mixer so I can do zero latency monitoring. Happy to move to linux but not apple.
Any recommendations for something simple and good quality? I don't get why something decent is so expensive.

I'm confused. What is it you are saying by "also internally as well"?

If a DAW or plugin does internal calculations sometimes the bit depth is increased. Ideally this data should then be dithered before being returned back to the native DAW bit depth. This is internal under the hood stuff you don't control as an end user. So don't sweat it too much.

dmp, I'm still using Win7 too, do you really need to change? I run Pro Tools and Cubase on it without issues.

If you don't mind used the 1st gen Lynx Aurora are inexpensive now, $600-800 for 8 i/o, $1000-1200 for 16 i/o

But the event / echo stuff is solid, if it ain't broke as they say.

Last edited:
Believe it or not I'm still using protools 8 with an 002 rack
But I'm finding myself limited with no more updates blah blah blah.

What are the DAW option with little learning curve?
What you guys suggest a nice update from the 002 rack? I was considering MOTU but they have lots of troubles with hardware.

Suggestions please.
I'm curious where you heard MOTU had lots of trouble with hardware? I had a motu setup with a radar for years and it was rock solid. I set a friend/client with a M4 and it worked perfect and he knows nothing. I'd recommend it if it fits your I/O needs.

I'm curious where you heard MOTU had lots of trouble with hardware? I had a motu setup with a radar for years and it was rock solid. I set a friend/client with a M4 and it worked perfect and he knows nothing. I'd recommend it if it fits your I/O needs.
I didn’t say anything about motu I/O. You are talking about the quote of someone else I guess.

dmp, I'm still using Win7 too, do you really need to change? I run Pro Tools and Cubase on it without issues.

If you don't mind used the 1st gen Lynx Aurora are inexpensive now, $600-800 for 8 i/o, $1000-1200 for 16 i/o

But the event / echo stuff is solid, if it ain't broke as they say.

I'm fine right now and don't need to change, I just started thinking about it reading through this thread.
Though I first started running a DAW on win 3.1 I think, and someday I don't think win7 will cut it
It's too bad Echo stopped making interfaces. I had the Layla line before and they were also really good.

I tried a focusrite scarlett awhile ago and the interface seemed fine but the mixer was terrible. I couldn't believe they released a piece of software that was that bad. Kind of expect similar annoyances with behringer, etc...
Old software mixers weren’t as good with lots of companies; cheaper interfaces and brands aren’t going to be pushing the envelope on software performance. Clearly it’s an afterthought for many of them.

I haven't looked at interfaces for a few years, but looking at RME and Lynx, spending $3k-$4k to essentially get what I have now seems absurd.
I auditioned several interfaces several years ago and thought the differences were really small, so I'm just wanting the functionality.

I agree that in terms of sound quality there are diminishing returns at this price range but ongoing support and solid drivers help justify the higher price.

I don't want an interface with any preamps, just a simple line level I/O with a decent mixer so I can do zero latency monitoring. Happy to move to linux but not apple.

I don’t have much to say on the OS side, I’ve only ever used apple. For your price and desires I think you should look at the newer motu products. Im sure RME has some less expensive stuff. Not many interfaces with no preamps though because as you approach the budget end of the spectrum the market is looking for all-in-one solutions (headphone amp, crappy monitor control knob, etc.). I bought the 24ao for analog mixing experiments and it was the only device if this type I could find.

I'm in a FB Users group! I cannot verify by myself though!

I think the Scarletts sound fine. I listened to a bunch of interfaces in an online blind test and really liked it. Sounded super flat to me. So I use them. But under linux so I don't get the mixer. They're just converters for me. I go line in and use my own preamps.

Cubase 11 Pro on Win 10 Pro, I've been a Cubase user since 1991 or 92, I used Samplitude when it first came out for a few years along with Echo Audio Layla one of the first rack mount none Pro Tools multi in/ out interface. Cubase can be configured to work with almost any style or personality.
Right now I'm on Ryzen Thunderbolt with Presonus Quantum bypassing the pres and hitting the ADC directly. I also have a Focusrite Clarett 8 pre USB hooked up to the same machine. Both are rock solid especially the Quantum.

I'm fine right now and don't need to change, I just started thinking about it reading through this thread.
Though I first started running a DAW on win 3.1 I think, and someday I don't think win7 will cut it
It's too bad Echo stopped making interfaces. I had the Layla line before and they were also really good.
I'm (still) running an Echo Layla, using win10 - zero problems using their 8.6 driver from 2011.

My experience with interfaces, just in case the info helps
EMU1212m - works great now, but had so many exasperating problems getting it working that I was ready to throw it and the PC out the window. After learning what works, I was even able to get this intfc working under WIN10(I have it on an XP PC at this point in time), ~8ms laten @44.1k (tracking only)
Scarlett 2i4, 3rd gen - worked well under WIN10, 8.4ms laten @44.1k (tracking only)
Scarlett 18i8, 3rd gen - works well under WIN10, except that I lose MIDI connection every once in a while, 7.8-8.4msec laten@48k tracking and mixing.......depending on number/type of plugins being used
Keep in mind that this is a sample size of 1 for each intfc

I'm (still) running an Echo Layla, using win10 - zero problems using their 8.6 driver from 2011.
I've seen that the latest audiofire driver works for win10 for some as well, though I don't think it is officially supported
Haven't tried it but good to know

Back