36 position 3 wiper lorlin?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencerleehorton

Hi all,

Was thinking of whether it was possible to design a 36 position 3 wiper lorlin?
It would then give 12 positions with 3 gangs perfect for Neve 1290.
I have some friends with some 3D printers and wondered whether this has been attempted yet?

Spencerleehorton said:
Hi all,

Was thinking of whether it was possible to design a 36 position 3 wiper lorlin?
It would then give 12 positions with 3 gangs perfect for Neve 1290.
I have some friends with some 3D printers and wondered whether this has been attempted yet?
Why 36-position? Apparently what you need is 3 decks of 12-position...
The way the CK switches are built makes impossible to have a through shaft.
Check tehe PT series; they are available in multi-deck.

If you use a 3 pole, 12 position Grayhill you can just use the mic input section of the EK2003 switch and have the 20-70(80?) gain that is used on the ez1290 or change the values to be more like what David at Don Classics does and make it 0-66, which is how I am doing my current builds. Both the ez1290 and the Don Classic versions have schematics available so you wouldn't have to figure out how to do either from scratch.

Maybe you meant 3x12 and not 3x36. If not, I suppose it's possible to make a 3x36 switch if you make the diameter big enough to accommodate the small degree of index that would be required.

Thanks!

Paul

Yes I meant 3x12, I was wanting something more lorlin feel to it.
The grayhill is quite expensive and I’ve found cheaper options which have 4 gangs and I just leave the 4th gang.
I do mine 20-80.

For some reason they make the 2 and 4 deck but not three. If you're fine with extra deck that is probably the way to go for a budget option. You can remove the decks on those switches and make it three if you want, but you might have to drill a hole in the back plate for the shaft. Also those switches don't seem to have stop pins if I remember. I had to cut a piece of insulated wire and place inside the switch to make it stop at the desired position. For your application I don't think that will apply.

Thanks!

Paul

This is a Lorlin PT series 6 pole 5 position switch and they do make them as 3x12 as well.

Attachments

• Lorlin 6x5p.JPG
    Lorlin 6x5p.JPG
    391.2 KB · Views: 31
I think you were referring to these earlier:

https://en.uraltone.com/electronic-components/switches/rotary-switches/rotary-switch-4x24.html

I would make sure the ones linked to on eBay aren't too wide in diameter.

Thanks!

Paul

Yes Paul that’s the ones I’ve used for this latest mono channel.
Have to drill a couple of holes to put in a pin to stop it after 12 clicks.
What I don’t like about it is that the rotation is only half way,
If I make anymore channels I have 3 more of these type I can use but would prefer to use ones which have full rotation when dealing through the 12 clicks.

Back