525 build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the risk of being thought of as a heathen for life, I'm wondering whether anyone is planning to use a regular OP amp in the side chain rather than a DOA ? Would something like a 5534 have the drive capability for the transformer it is feeding ??

I am thinking that a really expensive DOA might be wasted in this position of the circuit?

Anyway I am already wearing my flack jacket, while waiting for replies !

[quote author="capnspoony"]count me in for 16[/quote]

[quote author="gar381"]Very nice....I need 2 of 'em!![/quote]

[quote author="sammas"]put me down for 4[/quote]

no need to tell me how many each of you want. i'm getting enough so that everyone who bought a PCB from peter can buy two transformers per PCB. i may not get them all at once, but there should be enough to go around eventually.

ed

[quote author="Rob Flinn"]At the risk of being thought of as a heathen for life, I'm wondering whether anyone is planning to use a regular OP amp in the side chain rather than a DOA ? Would something like a 5534 have the drive capability for the transformer it is feeding ??

I am thinking that a really expensive DOA might be wasted in this position of the circuit?

Anyway I am already wearing my flack jacket, while waiting for replies ![/quote]

see Jakob's post back a bit.

"For A3, the sidechain-transformer driver, it'd probably be enough to use a standard opamp with a couple of BD139/140 power booster transistors. "

It'll have to be something hybrid to drive this particular transformer.

normal_hybrid.jpg

[quote author="edanderson"]....
no need to tell me how many each of you want. i'm getting enough so that everyone who bought a PCB from peter can buy two transformers per PCB. i may not get them all at once, but there should be enough to go around eventually.

ed[/quote]

terribly nice!
please don't hurry, because some projects I'm doing were delayed, I'll have funds mid august again. :? Count me in though!

minor edit :) (cut some mud)

[quote author="tommypiper"]Can't we use CMOQ-2S off-board?[/quote]

Don't see why not, but the right transformers are a far more elegant solution.

the CMOQ-2S should work, though obviously it wont fit the board and it may sound a bit different. just wire two windings in parallel for the primary, and the other two windings in series for the secondary with center tap.

ed

Anyone have a idea on the dimensions for the front panel and the thickness of the metal plate of a 500 series API unit... IE 525 compressor.

I'm trying to do up a Front pannel Express plate for this project but don't have any API stuff myself.

I think it's close to 1.5"x5.25" anyone able to verifiy this? and measure the thickness of the material?

Kevin

How critical is the MBB 12 pole switches? Ive been looking for a suitable part for my BOM list for this. The only thing I have found in the big 2 US dealer's is a BBM 1x12 with 2 decks.

thanks...

Kevin

[quote author="kazper"]How critical is the MBB 12 pole switches? [/quote]

Not entirely sure if critical, but MBB is what was used on the original and you may well experience pops if using anything else.

peter

[quote author="peter purpose"] you may well experience pops if using anything else.[/quote]
I dunno bout your family, but my pops wasn't a very pleasant experience...

Keef

I found some MBB that are not instock but avalble with decent enough lead time (45 days) for me. Specialy since I'm sure this is a next year'er for me. Now only if Mr. Posty delivers the good's to figure out the rest of the parts that I don't have already.

I almost have a FPE front done.. any ideas on what screw size these use?

Kevin

Thank's Peter...

Hopefully my million not so important but important to me question's are worth it to all...

After my board's show up I'll check out the layout against my FPE document and then upload it somewhere for those that didn't get your full kit. The front's should be under $50 for a one and two but around $38 for a 10 pack. Minus the fact that there pricing is outdated...hmmm

I would have done the full monty, but DIY funds were low at the 11th hour.
That and our money is pretty worthless when going to pounds...

Latest posts

Back