525 build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cinemag makes great transformers. i'm sure they can make something that will fit in the hole and work with minimal mechanical modification to the PCB. and i'd imagine that whatever they come up with could work, but will likely sound different. for those that want something different from the original, it wont bother me at all if you decide to buy from cinemag.

my order of transformers is coming along. they are quite close to the original transformers. i gave the winder an original 2623 to check against. i've gone through some samples to get it just right. and i think the pricing should be agreeable for most:

qty 1 - $25ea
qty 2 - $20ea = $40 total
qty 4 - $18.75ea = $75 total
qty 8 - $17.50ea = $140 total
qty 16 - $15ea = $240 total

these are not being made by edcor, btw. when peter first made his announcement, i went to edcor asking them to make these for me. after a few weeks of consideration, they decided not to do it. so i got a bit of a late start on making these with a different winder. i should have them in a few weeks.

ed

[quote author="peter purpose"]Grant... tsk tsk.
The vcr2n and it's little house.....
It is not mandatory to use the socket, but makes testing and swapping a breeze.[/quote]

oooooops!! :oops:
i should really start a project before supposedly answering questions about it -damn me and my big mouth! :razz:
sorry about the wrong info richie and thanks for cattle prodding me back in line with that image peter! :grin: zaaapppp!!
thanks again for clearing that up peter and thanks for lead on their availability at goldmine (newark is $6.95 per - too expensive)! :thumb:
-grant

ed great news and the pricing is outstanding! thanks as always for putting in the time and effort for the group! this is exciting!

Hey ed where are you in brooklyn ?

Im right below prospect park... I'd be happy to give you a hand / learn how you do this sort of stuff... and of course I'm totally in for 16 :thumb:

--Richie

[quote author="capnspoony"].. and of course I'm totally in for 16 Heck Yeah!
--Richie[/quote]

[quote author="mata_haze"]if you guys can meet the specs with this round of trafos, PLEASE count us in for 8!!!![/quote]

thanks for the encouragement. PLEASE, everyone else, there's no point to saying how many you want. my order has already been placed. when they go on sale it will be first come first served. there should be enough for everyone.

ed

Does anyone know whether Lundahl makes a good sustitute? As far as I can see, the LL1555 is the only line XF small enough for the 525 boards. It's max +27dBu wheras the 2623 is +30dBm (haven't quite figured what the 525 load, hence output would be) and the primary is 120 Ohm instead of 75.

:roll:

[quote author="jensenmann"]CJ, did you ever get my pm´s or emails? never got a reply[/quote]

yeah me too CJ... i wanna send some things to be publicly hacked on the forum, but not if CJ already has them.

ed

I have received an updated mechanical drawing of the Cinemag CMOQ-3 from David at Cinemag. He sent me a .pdf and a .jpg. Each file is only 40kB. But I don't know how to post files on the forum here. Either someone can splain this to me or I can just e-mail them to one of you guys and you can post them or host them. I don't have any hosting capabilities. Sorry I'm such an idiot here. Anyone who can help, please post or PM me. DW.

Coupla things.....

Ed's trannies sound like they will be the bomb. And his prices are fantastic. I will probably get in on his buy if he doesn't mind even though I've been pursuing the Cinemags.

Also - I too have looked for a suitable Lundahl trannie for this build. I am a huge fan of the Lundahl's. They rock. I've used at least 10 different models of his. Unfortunately, his datasheets are different from Cinemag and Jensen. He doesn't list impedances even though I can usually figure those out from the DC resistances. I'll go look at the LL1555 mentioned above and see what I think. Unfortunately the Lundahl's are rather pricey also. But if you can swing the cash for them, you won't be disappointed with their performance and sound. They kick butt.

Rock on gentlemen. DW.

Good point about resistance/impedance!
I'm a Lundahl fan as well, but it looks like Ed's custom wound XF's would be just right, especially since it's for at module, not just a rack unit with lotsa space. We'll see :)

I believe there is a PSU included, so I guess it's comparable to the API two-slot rack unit, in price.

But I find it a bit expensive too, espec. since you have to get a case/psu for every two 500 modules.

Back