About posting HUGE pictures...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan

Administrator
Admin
For everyone's sanity, if your picture is larger than 400X300, please DO NOT post it in a thread. Rather, just provide the LINK to it...

For instance: http://www.mywebsite.com/pictures/mypic.jpg
without the image tags.

I edited a few posts where I saw rediculous 1500X1000 images.
Jakob, if you see any huge pictures larger than 400X300, please edit so that it links to them and doesn't show the blown up pic in the thread.

Thanks guys!
-Ethan

Thanks for the clarification. I had always assumed the 600 wide was pretty much OK. I'll try to behave in future.

Thanks.

At home I live in 800x600, which (with borders etc) means pix over 400-500 wide blow-out the side of my monitor and spill on the dog.

I'm also 800 x 600 at home, and find large inline images annoying. When I put an image inside a post, which I usually only do with small schematics, I shrink them down as much as I can without making them illegible. Otherwise, I link offsite.

Don't be afraid to link, people! We'll click on 'em! :wink:

Yup,

I wasn't trying to single anyone out. Just trying to set an "image posting standard."

My screen res. is at 1400X1000 so I can see most pictures, but it's bothersome for most people on 800X600, and also for people on dial up it takes forever for threads to load if they have huge images in them. So from here on out lets keep it to 400X300 max in posts, and link to any pictures that are bigger.
:guinness: :sam:

> a suggestion: If you really need to post bigger pictures, then write a warning into the subject/thread title. I guess that's a compromise we can live with, isn't it?

It still blows-out the page layout and makes it impossible (well, neck-breaking) to read text more than a few words long.

Or put it another way: if I see that I will not be able to read my overly-wordy comments (because side-side scroll will make me cross-eyed), then I'm just not going to post on that thread.

Few reasons you HAVE to put a huge-wide image in a message.

And I know nobody here "intends to blow-out the browser". Posting an image is thrilling and we forget to check the size. Or we forget the poor people in the world who "only" have 800x600.

Perhaps the biggest problem is that the default size for modern digi-cams is much bigger than a monitor. And that may not be clear from the image-software that comes with the camera; they often re-size for display in ways that browsers won't.

I'll try to behave too...I always thought everyone was beyond 800x600. Maybe you old folk need glasses?? :grin: Just kidding, I'll behave...

:wink:

[quote author="Admin"]Jakob, if you see any huge pictures larger than 400X300, please edit so that it links to them and doesn't show the blown up pic in the thread.[/quote]

I will. Good point.

Jakob E.

Small picture here in the forum and a large HiRes picture OFF site if needed.
I think the small picture should be hosted here so that the integrity of the forum and info stays all in the one place.

Look at the way PRR and others knock up those great posts.
Easy to read and a small picture to refer to. An easy right click and save as and you have it when you want it.
Even better might be a CDrom of the best off.
It does take a lot of work and I should know as this is what I was working to back at the old place.

Same goes when replying with quotes ... often you don't need the whole post .... WITH PICTURES ???? :roll:

what-ever ... it's all good

[quote author="Twin-x"]why don't you adjust the forum to display the images as a link? It saves bandwidth and people still have hi res pictures.[/quote]

Sometimes it is helpful to have pictures in the thread--for these instances I was saying lets keep it to 400X300 MAX. For anything bigger, just link to it.

[quote author="Admin"][quote author="Twin-x"]why don't you adjust the forum to display the images as a link? It saves bandwidth and people still have hi res pictures.[/quote]

Sometimes it is helpful to have pictures in the thread--for these instances I was saying lets keep it to 400X300 MAX. For anything bigger, just link to it.[/quote]Ah ok all clear now ;)

can we make an exception for my cat? he's 363 x 560, would be a shame to shrink his shaven glory anymore...

dave

If you're speaking of the one in your avatar, he's 60X60. So, you're more than fine.

actually, I was talking about the unofficial lab mascot:

shavedcat02.jpg

dave

Latest posts

Back