AKG C3000B 5 min mod - Awesome mic!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is probably the wrong place to ask, but I'll shoot. The C4000B uses a dual sided electret capsule right? Would it possible to mod the hypercardioid pattern to be omni? I don't have one but they look interesting. Also does it use the same signal injection as the C3000B? It looks like a pretty boosted mic.

Thank you for this! Had to get one out of curiosity and indeed, puIIing the IittIe cap out turns this thing from a Iispy, contorted thing into a big, if a bit dark sounding, rather usefuI tooI that takes eq Iike a champ. UnIike before.....might get another for a pair. I bet it makes a good kick out mic. OnIy tried acoustic and vocaI briefIy.

Thanks SO much for sharing this - really lucked out on an e-Bay 'not working' example for $80; only had a broken wire to the capsule!

Without that cap, sounds luscious!

Rather than try to de-solder and remove the cap, I just cut one of the traces to it; much simpler.

Mine didn't have foam inside, did yours?

Anyone know if the 3000B and original 3000 have the same (main) capsule?

The 'B' capsule looks like an electret, single diaphragm version of the CK12 (414XL) capsule - possible?

Looks to be exactly the same capsule as the current C214; still bright, so EQ'd, but differently.

Last edited:
kingkorg, wouId you have any idea about moving the hipass fiIter down a bit?

As it is a 6dB sIope I am thinking it is basicaIIy onIy a cap, so putting a bigger vaIue one wiII move it down, but which one is it? As in, it's c301, but which one on the board is that? Not entireIy at ease with putting an SMD cap in as opposed to mereIy removing one, but I'd have a go. The current 500Hz roIIoff is a bit fuII on....

kingkorg, wouId you have any idea about moving the hipass fiIter down a bit?

As it is a 6dB sIope I am thinking it is basicaIIy onIy a cap, so putting a bigger vaIue one wiII move it down, but which one is it? As in, it's c301, but which one on the board is that? Not entireIy at ease with putting an SMD cap in as opposed to mereIy removing one, but I'd have a go. The current 500Hz roIIoff is a bit fuII on....
Nope, it's c302. C301 is for full range setting. Just adding (doubling, tripling the value?) capacitor to the existing one will do the trick. Just do the continuity test with dmm to find it with the filter turned on. It's connected to the op amp input. Pin 3.

Last edited:
i just got one and when i checked it before mod i'm hearing hiss and intermittent crackle. Is it a sign of a bad capsule?

ok will do, but the mic works and there is no change if i move the mic. The hiss and crackle is on top of the normal sound of the mic.

Which mics benefit from this mod? I know the C3000b, but what about the C4000B (silver, round headbasket, omni/card/hyper-c)?

Last edited:
I know we are late to the party but I have the same question as regards the akg c4000b. Can the same "just remove the cap" Mod work just as well as with the c3000b? Same procedure? It flattens the frequency response? Anyone?

Another great mic ruined by stupid internal EQ implementation. About 5db boost at 15k.

This mic appeared in my local adds for 50 bucks and I just had to give it a go. Measured, tested, bright - OK.

Opened, circuit measured, and it revealed this stupid eq curve by injecting signal. Found capacitor guilty of this, removed it, and now it sounds beautifully! I got about +5db output as well.

I am kind of surprised as this mic was modded before, by Scot Dorsey, whole circuit changed I believe. It got me puzzled, no one discovered that it was this simple? Otherwise I see no need for changing the circuit, works fine, clean, low thd. Beautifully sounding capsule by the way. No sign of 10k+ hype. Since c214 has the same capsule, and boost above 10k i suspect similar bull is done to it as well.

This is the cap that should be removed.
Can I do the same mod on the c4000b? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back