All things G1176 - the new "repost" thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a general post for all the North American peeps that might be building the G1176 and trying to find the correct Toroid Transformer.

Here is what I got:

30Va Load, 25 + 25 Secondary V, .60A Secondary Current

http://www.avellindberg.com/

Part Number: Y236106
$22.47
They accept MC/Visa
1-800-979-1022

ok.

i have my boards from mnats. i just have a question on the PSU, following on from cannikan's post (30Va Load, 25 + 25 Secondary V, .60A Secondary Current)

we're 240VAC here - does the load on primary or secondary change for 240VAC????

hope to hear from you.

chris.

i've been getting all the bits together and will soon be at PSU checking time. been building two boards side by side, destined for two mono boxes.

got a pair of toroidal 24+24 160VA from jaycar quoted at "OP=0-25V(3.2A) 0-25V(3.2A)" - they should be right, yeah? was the closest they seemed to have.

having real trouble locating the FET BF245A. i've also lucked out on any of the supposed equivalents BFW61, BFS72, 2N3819 and 2N3823. do you know of any suppliers? please let me know.

i contacted control devices in sydney re. the lundahl LL5402 output trannies, and they're saying $158.40AUD for two. ouch.
haven't checked the current price of the OEP's yet. but since it seems there's no real price difference i reckon i may as well build a lundahl and an OEP, so i have the two flavours.

on board A, i think i may have stuffed the solder on C5 (220n) - on the non-optioned end! i put the wrong cap in, and then when removing, a heap of excess solder came out on the legs.
can i peg that end of the cap to the resistor R9, or should i just scratch some coating off beside C5 to reveal the circuit layer and give a decent join?

there you go. here's hoping. i cant wait for replies - getting back into it.

chris.

Hi
What quality of C15 - 470uF/40V I must use in my 1176?
Too, caps in signal path?
Also used both optional caps: 1000uF and 100uF with 0,1uF poly in parallel on my board. I hope it is better solution?
Still havent chassis and a pair or resistors.
I will use this equipment with my soundcard with 10K input.
Must I put 620 ohm over output?
Duka
Soon pics

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me out with sourcing all the parts in the UK to make this? I have looked through a lot of this thread and couldn't see anything related to this.

I can find most of the parts but some I am having trouble with so all help is appreciated

thanks

Sourcing the stuff is a part of the fun.

We don't want to make "complete kits" that takes no effort for the builder to throw together, just to save money.

Think of sourcing the stuff as an educational experience - you'll be much better off at a later time when you need to find stuff for your own projects, if you go through the trouble of finding the right components now.

What parts specifically do you have trouble with?

Jakob E.

[quote author="mfdu"]got a pair of toroidal 24+24 160VA from jaycar quoted at "OP=0-25V(3.2A) 0-25V(3.2A)" - they should be right, yeah? was the closest they seemed to have.

having real trouble locating the FET BF245A. i've also lucked out on any of the supposed equivalents BFW61, BFS72, 2N3819 and 2N3823. do you know of any suppliers? please let me know.

i contacted control devices in sydney re. the lundahl LL5402 output trannies, and they're saying $158.40AUD for two. ouch.
haven't checked the current price of the OEP's yet. but since it seems there's no real price difference i reckon i may as well build a lundahl and an OEP, so i have the two flavours.

there you go. here's hoping. i cant wait for replies - getting back into it.

chris.[/quote]

Chris, it looks like you emailed these same questions directly to me the same day you also posted them here.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me DIY isn't about getting all your questions answered for you but rather it's about learning and discovering things for yourself. Still, the questions that you ask are pretty easily answered if you just take the time to look. The FET sourcing question is answered on my 1176 site. There are two Australian sources listed right on my page. The prices for the Lundahl transformers shouldn't have come as a surprise either if you had looked at my page.

I guess my suggestion to you would be to relax, take some time and do some reading about the 1176 project. Jakob did a lot of work to make the project as easy to successfully complete as possible but you need to read and understand the information he and many others have contributed to be able to make one yourself. There are 41 pages just in this thread. Have you looked at Orson's site? Or the 1176 meta?

You will end up saving some money too in the long run...on power transformers at least :wink:

It has been fun trying to find the parts, just it is getting frustrating that I can't find certain ones :)

LM7824 24V VOLTAGE REGULATOR

some of the resistors:
4.3R, 38k3,44k2 and 182k

electrolytic 6u8/35w

and I cant find any of the pots grr.. I probably just suck at searching :)

mnats - i have the +30V where i should, the -10V where is should and everything is looking great. reviewing you info on output trannies, i see now my mistake. no problems. dont get me wrong - i have had a ball doing these projects, and look forward to building some weak joe's and ssl mix comps next. as you can see - relax is a word i am unfamiliar with.

will post photos soon.

only problem is tracking down the FET BF245A - will re-read your site and see if my blind-spot has changed position today?!!?! [r.s. australia - i see it now] judging by all the great info you have there, i'm sure everything is answered.

boulty - the voltage regulator is available from jaycar.com.au here is oz - dunno if that helps. . .

gyraf - you are totally right - sourcing the parts IS half the fun. the kind of fun that can end in tears, but fun none the less. i've had a great time building these two units, my wife has had a chance to read a book, and i may have even learnt something.
do you do weak joe (aka joe cheap et.al.) PCB's? planning my next build.

ok.

RS international in sydney (the only ones i could find with that name) dont supply components - they do laminating machines.

[edited] ok. i'm sorry. i have found RS australia finally. sorry to all.

i found https://www.partsvault.com/partsvault/ who seem to have access to pretty much everything - multiple BF245A's from phillips, fairchild et. al.

so a shout out to all aussies - maybe try "parts vault" for your FET's and IC's? have just lodged a query with them (awaiting response) so can't say for certain, but here's hoping. . .

chris.

[quote author="Boulty"]It has been fun trying to find the parts, just it is getting frustrating that I can't find certain ones :)

LM7824 24V VOLTAGE REGULATOR

some of the resistors:
4.3R, 38k3,44k2 and 182k

electrolytic 6u8/35w

and I cant find any of the pots grr.. I probably just suck at searching :)[/quote]

I'm pretty sure we've discussed all this before:

7824 - any 24V/1A will do, e.g. http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp - stock no# SCMC7824CT

For the resistors, remember that we do not specify 1%. Original was built with 5-10% types - so we can just go for nearest value and still be within limits:

4R3 - use 4R7
38K8 - use 39k
44k2 - use 47k (or 43K if available)
182k - use 180k

Electrolytic 6u8 - use 10uF. It's used as DC-blocking only, 6u8 was cheaper than 10u at the time of design.

Jakob E.

Jakob E.

I could not find 5 mOm pot in the my country...
Whether It is possible to replace it with the switch?
If yes, how many approximately positions it should have and what values of resistors?

In advance thanks for the answer :sam:

Xopek,

yes, you can use a switch in stead of the 5M pot.

experiment with different values to find the release-times you want.

then solder these resistors on the switch.

Jakob E.

gyraf

i'm happy to see you advise the same substitute values that i ended up using (39k, 43k etc)

after a bit of frustration i think i have found 5M pots here in australia - happy happy.

got my VU meters delivered yesturday - yay. made the mistake of ordering wafer switches for the meter and gain reduction - they dont fit the PCB. no biggie - $1.50 per switch. but just something to be aware of i guess . . .

and now have found that RS components have the OEP output tranny for cheaper $40 AUD. + $10 delivery. if (as mnats says) i dont need the screning can, then we're talking half the price of the lundahl. ordered. only thing that remains is collecting the 5M pots and drilling the second rack case.

total cost per unit will be about $250 all up, and three days to build the two(would'a been less, if i had'a got all the parts straight off, instead of a couple of errors and stuff).

will post photos soon.

chris.

Back