AMS Neve 8816 dried out capacitors??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No experience with an 8816 but Neve used that same style of caps in the Capricorn digital desks. They are all crapping out and are a bitch to replace.

Bri

I finally got tired of not being able to use input channels on my Neve 8816 and decided to recap it.
The unit ships with tiny SMD caps in the audio path. They dry out and it is a bitch to calibrate if you even can. We decided to replace the SMD caps with high quality electrolytic caps like Scott2000 mentioned. It took a while to complete but it worked.
The 8816 calibrates like a dream now. All the pot levels are where I would expect them to be after calibration. And of course I think it sound better now because of the new and better caps.
I am going to replace all the audio filter caps in the D-sub I/O section next and get rid of every audio path SMD cap in this box. I love this summing amp, it just needs a little love to really shine.

Good afternoon!
I have exactly the same problem.
I would fix it. Could you help me with the value of the capacitors?
I would replace all the capacitors.
ugh, was it celsius?

Thanks

This 8816 it's a really crappy unit
Played with it before it went into production. It was wired back to front. Meaning the db25 pinout was not the tascam standard used by everyone for analog, so what should have been channel 1 was channel 8 and so on.
Never used or wired a production one so can’t say if that was ever addressed

Good afternoon! Unfortunately, the motherboard of this device is very crappy. The film is very fragile during work. It takes a long time to recover. I replaced all the conditioners, but since one of the 1500mf capacitors blew before I could repair it, the repair was unsuccessful. Something else probably broke in the explosion.

Latest posts

Back