Any thoughts on Phaedrus VF14 tube?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going by the video, it seems to be a solid state (IC-based) tube replacement circuit, built into a VF14-style case. You can see part of a schematic (which I assume is for the Phaedrus VF14M) at around 1:08.

Going by the video, it seems to be a solid state (IC-based) tube replacement circuit, built into a VF14-style case. You can see part of a schematic (which I assume is for the Phaedrus VF14M) at around 1:08.
That’s bad. A solid state “tube” sold for $1000?

A company can charge what every they want. That should inspire a DIYer to design and built their own.

I have built a number of solid state circuits that have a PART of the tube microphone sound. I tried more complicated circuits at the start and ended up with simple circuits. There are number of different circuits to achieve close to the same results.
Transistor based ones and IC based ones, external powered and phantom powered
built 6 circuits so far have a few more designed waiting to be built.
The next build will most likely be based off the 49 circuits at around 120VDC.

I also have add on circuits that should allow the use of more modern tubes helping with noise issues

That’s bad. A solid state “tube” sold for $1000?
Yeah, it seems incredibly expensive for what it is. The regular and "red dot" versions aren't so horrifically expensive, but are still a lot more than I'd be willing to spend on even a vintage tube, let alone a solid state "electronic tube".

I had thought these devices were based on the old idea of the fetron, just with stuff like the Phaedrus being reworked directly for the VF14 (or AC701/5703) market. Here’s one somewhat relevant fetron:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_tr1018.html
The fetron linked above was marketed as replacement for 408A, for example.

I think you can find tear down articles about the fetrons, and maybe data about making them.

Really enjoying the Phaedrus with 3U M7 capsule, have no real U47 to compare with but most times prefer it over a good U87.

Last edited:
FWIW: I once replaced a defective AC701 with a Phaedrus 701 in a M50 microphone, and the client is still very happy with the microphone.
(And it's true: there can't be very much inside this very small tube. Probably SMD components.)

Latest posts

Back