Aputis M49 body kit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

A few more pictures of a bead blasted brass.

Its fat :)  :

M4904-th.jpg

M4903-th.jpg

M492-th.jpg

Few tweaks with photoshop. Changed a saturation of body to black and white.
M4901-th.jpg

Silver brazed brass profile to body tube. Took a lot of time to learn how to braze, but results are good enough - very strong and beautifull joints. Although silver brazing rods are expensive, but thats what jewelers use brazing in an open flame method...

IMG_0021-th.jpg

Kind regards,
Andrew

Hi all,

Here are some pictures of nickel plated and fully assembled M49 body. Box used from U47 body kit, just for visual purposes. :)
Only few steps left to start the full production. Stay tuned and enjoy the pictures:

IMG_0040-th.jpg

IMG_0043-th.jpg

IMG_0033-th.jpg

IMG_0041-th.jpg

Kind regards,
Andrew

Hi all,

And this is how it looks from inside.

P.S. Big thanks to Dany Bouchard (poctop) for his great sounding and special quality capsule D7!

03-th.jpg

01-th.jpg

02-th.jpg

04-th.jpg

IMG_0888-th.jpg

Kind regards,
Andrew

Hi Andriejus,

I have never looked inside an real M49, but I understand that the parts inside the microphone was mounted on a rubber plate to reduce the handling noise and also to make it possible to use the microphone without a shock mount. The rubber plate was then fixed inside the microphone body. There was no metal to metal contact (or metal to PCB contact) between the inner parts and the microphone house.

How have you solved this in your M49 body? The "fork" mount is not as effective as a shock mount for reducing mechnical noise. I think (and so did Neumann) that extra isolation is needed inside the microphone.

In your construction, is the lower deck screwed into the metal of the microphone house or is it held in place by the Teflon pad for the transformer deck?

Anyway, I have to say that I'm very impressed with your prototype!

- Stefan

Hi Stefan,

I think all constructoin is clear from the pictures I've posted.

There is rubber ring inside the tube, which makes a soft touch between brass and plastic:
IMG_9922-th.jpg

IMG_9921-th.jpg

There is a tefflon part between brass end bell and transformer pcb.

Kind regards,
Andrew

Hi All,

I was not posting here for a while, but that not mean that this project is not making a progress.
I've ordered some raw material from supplier. I will also make another sample with some adjustments, because the first sample was 200 grams too heavy comparing with the original. I am also working hard on yoke for this mic. Should have sample pictures after New Year. Also wood box pictures will be taken soon. So please be patient you will really be happy with the results. I promise :)
Kind regards,
Andrew

Definitely interested in one, these look great. Keep us posted when manufacturing is underway and a close eta  has arrived. Or if you want to sell the "  slightly too heavy" one now.  ;)
Edit- I've bought an tab Funkenwerk m49, since these are taking too long.

Any news on the yoke mount?  Or, any idea on price? 

Hi all,

Yoke  mount prototype is being manufactured right now. After confirming the construction I will be able to give the price. :)

Kind regards,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I really try to be patient, but it´s hard to stay cool !

Any progress being made in the body and the yoke mount ?
Any picture for us customers to see ?

At least say hello,

Best
Manfred.

Hey all,

Yes i have made some progress on it. i also have second sample.
A few days ago I have received a second step cutting frame, tested it and brought back to the factory for some adjustments as it was not ideal cutting the mesh into halfs.

Yoke mount - i have recreated it in 3D and will post some renders on weekend. However from the first look yoke production might be expensive, so i am still brainstorming on other construction method thus maintaining the same vintage look...

P.S. I quit my daily job, so I am very happy that I will have a full day working on my passion - building mic kits :)

Kind regards,
Andrew

That's so awesome Andrew. You bring a lot of joy and integrity to this community, as well as some superlative products.

Thanks a bunch.  :D ;D :)

Mike

The "arms" of the yoke for the original M49 has a complicated profile and is probably made from a cast alloy.
That sounds very expensive to recreate for a small batch, in my opinion. Maybe a simpler design would be acceptable?

stelin said:
The "arms" of the yoke for the original M49 has a complicated profile and is probably made from a cast alloy.
That sounds very expensive to recreate for a small batch, in my opinion. Maybe a simpler design would be acceptable?
FWIW, I have the Peluso version and where it goes wrong is that the band which goes around the body is a thin, flexible sheet metal bent in a sort of circular shape.  It doesn't feel sturdy at all (sturdy enough to hold the mic, but not enough to use it daily for years).  The bars don't seem too complex, just cast and then welded at the top.  But, they can scrape the mic body unless you put some sort of felt or tape there because Peluso didn't pad that part.  I think the tricky part in making a new one would be getting the band that goes around the body, and the hinge, to be quality.

It's frustrating because it isn't that complicated and wouldn't be expensive if it were able to be produced in decent volume (which won't happen), but small runs will likely be costly.  I don't know that I can justify spending a whole lot on a mic mount.  But, I don't want to spend $200 on another sloppily built Peluso either.  :\

Back