Behringer ADA8000 modifications..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tell the support people to answer the questions I sent you... :wink:

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

anyone of us bidding here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15199&item=3765104965&rd=1

I wouldn't, but maybe some of you are into this?

good luck

Tony.

I'm for doing some from zero. It would be cheaper to do it since I need 48 channels... so anyone plan to build or just to mod?

I will start drawing the boards in Fev 2005. I was thinking if will be a group order to Wavefront chips and Litepipes one of these days... :?: :!: :?: I'd be in.

cheers!
Fabio

i recent bought the Soundscape 48-TA's for my own studios.
Never heard anything as good as this!
I'm sure the analog devices chips are the reason for this...
Could not resist and went for it.
If you can come up with a similar built, call me in anytime!
I don't know if you can check these at your place, but maybe have a look at www.sydec.be
Sorry, but will not post pictures of the insides as the Sydec-people wouldn't be happy when i do this.

so anyone plan to build or just to mod?
I already have a working diy adat -> dac/adc.
But if you want 48 channels, Ithink maybe the best, and the cheapest, is to use some CPLD or FPGA for format encoding. So you can also have a MADI output :)

...is to use some CPLD or FPGA for format encoding. So you can also have a MADI output :)

Would be nice wudnt it ;) anyone here got theyre fpga hat on then? kinda deep all that eh :shock:

I dunno if its worth mentioning, i did email emu tech with some q's over that e-dsp chip (used in theyre new cards) in the hope I could get a pinout and see about gettin the cheapest card with it on and adding diy'ed external convertors, psu etc...they wudnt let it loose but did mentioned theyd be interested if a solid project was proposed... Mebbe that chip could utililised in a way we need?

Yea Pilo, I am with big eye on your project!

I need 24 here and 24 in the studio, I did a little math and looks to me a good deal to do it. To buy 6 AD8K I would spend US$2k here...

Maybe just upgrade the AD DA to some AKM chips...

FPGA? Cool, I do the layout :)

BTW what's MADI?

cheers!
Fabio

US$1200? not in Brazil my friend... :cry:

The things is the circuits are very simple, minimal, worth a try !
And Pilo already did it!!

In fact I'm after so dude that is thinking about to buy some chips so we can buy togheter and save some $$$...

regards,
Fabio

Hello all,

I just got the quick question as to the reference level of these. Has anyone thought about how to change/tweak the level to make sure all are truely at the same point and be able to choose wether it is -18, -15 or any other? I think it is currently around -15. I would like to try and figure out how to get the A/D and D/A to the -18dBu mark.

I guessing this will alter the idea of just snipping the wires from front to back and bypassing the whole front panel (for line input only). Has anyone actually done this yet??

I've got some FPGA experience, and I've got some FPGA development equipment. If anyone would be interested in developing some PCBs for multichannel converters with MADI and/or ADAT, or something, I'd love to partner up :D

if anything can be done on FPGA, can we make somehting that'll directly interface to my pc?

My gut feeling is that the DIY community is crying out for "a chip" that will interface a load of i2s straight into a PC (through whatever interface there is).

Sure, there are firewire devices out there (like Wavefront Semi's new Dice 2 as well as Bridgco's DM1000) devices, although i get the feeling they are out of the range of the DYI'ing community.

An QFP (not ball grid array) FPGA that could be thrown on a DIY PCI card with connectors on it for an external breakout converters would be a milestone.

I'd do whatever I can to help :cool:

cheers

R

You can get some all-in-one PCI chips that should be easy to interface with. I have only tried ISA cards, so I can't really help though.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

here's what we need:

A DIY MADI PCI card project!

The hard part is the PCI bridge, and writing the drivers. Two options for the bridge, a) use a core in the fpgao b) use a bridge chip.

Core would be better, would make the board simpler and cheaper, but the cores cost a LOT of money, and you can't just give them away to the diy group without getting sued.

We need to engineer our own core. Not sure I'm capable of t hat right now :/

ouaw! I didn't expect such idea when I talk about fpga!! :)

I don"t have any experience with fpga, as dev board are expensive (the cheapest one I found is the one sold by www.fpga4fun.com, $50).

On www.opencores.org you can find a lot of open source project, and there's an audio sound card, but I asked how much it would cost, and it's about 1000euros each...

Maybe a firewire solution will be cheaper? and driver easier to do? (I have already wrote some audio card driver piece of code)

Xilinx sells a dev board which is quite inexpensive and very powerful and flexible, their spartan 3 evaluation board.

It's got VGA, serial, 4 digits of 7segs, 8 LEDs, 8 slide switches, 4 pushbuttons, 1M SRAM, 2M flash, and 3 40-pin expansion connectors. I have a fancy little breadboard that plugs into one of the expansion ports.

The board is only $99, and comes with a JTAG cable, and it's a 200,000 gate spartan3, pretty powerful little chip. I've done some fun stuff with it, but nothing yet that would be worth making a PCB for.

i think this should be a separate topic really... but anyway...

Firewire is not a lovely plug and play interface. I have customers that have sleepless nights because of the firewire system - it really is a bitch.

_IF_ the Dice II chip is suitable, then we may be able to use that... BUT (and this is the best but) -- it's a BGA package (begins to weep).

the closest we could do, is for someone here who knows a little about production to do a small batch of boards with Dice II's on them, that can be purchased by us eager DIY'ers.

not easy by any measure - but it would bring muchos kudos to those that could pull it off :D

*sigh* - all food for thought :D

Talking about lot of R&D now... :)
Not my piece-of-cake-put-the-chips-togheter-and-go :)

But I´m following you... wherever you go.

:thumb:

Bauman,

this is why i think that if the group can pull together a firewire<->i2s card - then we could do a small run of them (i really think it's possible).

From there, any members of the group could develop the front end, and simply hook the i2s out of their adc straight to it.

Just a thought. I don't know how much work is in the device itself - I'll give the TC Electronic guy a shout once I find his card.

cheers

R

Back