Brexit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Le Monde warned: “We believe that a Brexit would unleash some of the darkest forces influencing European opinion today: regressive nationalism, the rise of the extreme-right protest vote and, here and there, threats against democracy.”

The above has been my gut feeling for some time, which is why I voted Remain this morning. Brexit could set a precedent for all manner of quasi-fascist (including Ukip) parties in Europe. At this moment in time, considering Putin's in power, Trump  could attain power - and the Syrian refugee crisis, I believe a Brexit could start a fatal fall of dominoes. 

The vote was a Hobson's Choice, and I won't deny there's a massive amount that's wrong with the current EU setup. But even if we vote for out, we still won't be able to use 63/37 in commercial products  :)

So sad to see this outcome, but respectful of the the brits who chose to leave, of course.

Fingers crossed.

Gustav

A very grim morning here. Very upset and I fear for my business.

We have massive demographic and geographical splits on this too.

Scotland and NI clearly want to be in the EU - I think this could easily trigger another Scottish independence push.

And the old have voted to leave whilst the younger wanted to remain...

HOW AGES VOTED (YouGov poll) 18-24: 75% Remain 25-49: 56% Remain 50-64: 44% Remain 65+: 39% Remain

I wonder how those older brexiteers will feel as they watch their market-linked pension funds crash this morning?

:(

I voted to remain, so I'm very sorry at the result.

In the end it was all about immigration and Merkel's decision to let in so many migrants was a mortal blow to the remain campaign.

When so many migrants attacked women in Cologne and other places at New Year, this hardened attitudes to leave.

The constant existence of the Sangatte camp at Calais and then people smugglers bringing them across the channel has had a very bad effect.  The feeling that we cannot control our own borders won at the end of the day.

The EU has not understood the seriousness of the situation in the UK and they have been arrogant to say the least in their comments.  The EU could have survived for centuries if they had just stuck with trade deals, but political union takes generations to achieve and they just did the whole thing much too quickly.

What will follow now will be years of chaos and political turmoil, both in the UK and the EU.  I expect the break-up of the UK to happen and renewed trouble in Northern Ireland too.

DaveP

Congratulations!

(And I clearly distance myself from all 'congratulations' coming from right-extremist populists across Europe.)

Let's have an 'out' beer together soon  ;)

We are going to lose a decent Prime Minister in the autumn and put a Buffoon in his place.

Its going to be a very bumpy ride with no road map or even a destination in sight.  Bowie's song "Where are we now?" comes to mind.

We will be in control of our borders at last which may be a plus and the collapse of the exchange rate will make our exports cheaper, any other plusses to console me??  Just heard Nigel Farage say he can't guarantee the £350M saved from the EU will go to the NHS, that didn't take long to renege .

I wonder if all those Glastonbury millions voted before they went, something tells me they queued in traffic jams instead.

Not a happy bunny this morning.

DaveP

Was about to post the same thing. Yeah, Farage just said that they probably can't/won't pump the EU millions into the NHS.

That guy is a former currency trader, no? This morning he probably made the biggest profit of his lifetime  :mad:

-----------

Anyway, now I really want to see all EU member states to calm down and sit at one table to talk things over. Maybe they can come up with an updated vision of the EU that is acceptable for more people. What's the name of that British professor at Cambridge University again who said that Britain doesn't need the EU but the EU should become more British?

zebra50 said:
I wonder how those older brexiteers will feel as they watch their market-linked pension funds crash this morning?

:(

The FTSE rose in the last week in anticipation of a Remain vote. Despite the immediate reaction to the Leave vote, it is already back at the level it was a week ago.

Cheers

Ian

Good luck to all my UK friends, and all EU friends for that matter since this vote has implications for the  entire region.

In fact the US will probably postpone raising interest rates here even longer, and even Chinese growth may be slowed,  so impact worldwide.

Only my small gold position is happy (up >4% today) but still down 30% from where I bought it.  :-[

The markets and bookies got this vote wrong but that's why they count the votes.

Interesting times.

JR

How do you figure that? He gambled the economic future of an entire nation just to secure his own momentary political security, destroying himself in the process. Fully got what he deserved.

The icing on the cake, all but personally guaranteeing Scotland's secession: “I will win this easily and it will put to bed the Scottish referendum question for 20 years. The same goes for Europe...” he said.

DaveP said:
We are going to lose a decent Prime Minister in the autumn and put a Buffoon in his place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USTypBKEd8Y

IMO by far the best summation of the frightening situation we now find ourselves in - Michael Dougan, Liverpool Law School Professor - leading expert in EU constitutional law as it relates to the UK, with over 20 years experience in the field. It's only a 20 minute video but basically lays it all out in no uncertain terms. Check it out - would love to hear people's thoughts on what he says.

Dave - how are you finding your part of France as an ex-pat?

I need to keep my business in the EU, but we both have ageing parents in Blighty. We're considering Ireland or France, or possibly gambling on Scotland making a break for freedom, which would be the shortest commute. Weather looks better in France!

I never thought I would be sad to see Cameron go, but the alternatives are worse.

Latest posts

Back