Brexit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And like some others, I too am out.

I do hope the world can stabilise .. and  'me' for that matter.

Like 'person of year' I'm 'done', lest I too hasten 'orrible things.

My parting words .. 'sorry for the inconvience'.

AC out.

Rather that than the  marxist/communist agenda of the far left
Yeah! What we need is a good Mc Carthy.
If you are of the far left (a Corbynista) then everyone else looks like the far right to you.

In the real world, Boris is in the centre of British politics where most sane people reside.

The far right is reserved for Nazis, Franco, Le Penn, Mussolini and various weirdos of the Alt right in the US etc.

DaveP

DaveP said:
If you are of the far left (a Corbynista) then everyone else looks like the far right to you.
Conversely, if you are of the far right then everyone else looks like a Bolchevik to you. It's a matter of POV.

In the real world, Boris is in the centre of British politics where most sane people reside.
It's hard for me to consider BJ as sane. Clever, no doubt, persistent, indeed, but I think that the necessary does of egomania and bravado required for entering a carrier in politics is excessive in him.

The far right is reserved for Nazis, Franco, Le Penn, Mussolini and various weirdos of the Alt right in the US etc.
I never suggested BJ was far right, at least not anymore than Mrs. T.

DaveP said:

DaveP
Thanks for the gratuitous slur...  :eek:

Good luck sorting this out, and good luck to the EU that will be under increased pressure from other members if they give the UK too good of a trade deal.

JR

Banzai said:
No, that's how your concept of democracy works, because the UK has an archaic electoral system just like the US.

Majority of voters didn't vote Tory, and rejected 'Get Brexit Done'... but Tories and Brexit won.

OK, I'll bite. Describe how your concept of a  democracy works that is better than our 'archaic' one.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
OK, I'll bite. Describe how your concept of a  democracy works that is better than our 'archaic' one.

Cheers

Ian
Winston S. Churchill said:
“Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.”

For insight into the design of the US republic I suggest reading the Federalist papers, a series of essays published by our founders to debate governance.

The UK parliament has been widely copied around the world.

NO Government is perfect, but a handful are far better than all the rest.

JR

Hooray. A deal just in time for Xmas.

Now let's wait for parliaments to approve and then analyze who sold out compromised on what.

Script said:
Hooray. A deal just in time for Xmas.

Now let's wait for parliaments to approve and then analyze who sold out compromised on what.
About a month ago, one pundit presented a good argument for why it is impossible for politicians NOT to reach an agreement. At the time I thought no deal was the most likely scenario but it seems he was right.

The text of the agreement is said to be 500 1500 or so pages long. I do not see how any member of parliament could both read and understand it in the time available. The fallout will indeed be long and acrimonious.

Edit: Just read the government has published a 34 page summary on its web site. Christmas reading? Not likely!

Cheers

Ian

It is logical for Brussels to negotiate an unfavorable deal with the UK, so other community members don't decide to follow suit, but it impossible to imagine a future without significant economic trade between them in the future.

Here is hoping for a WIN-WIN, or at least a WIN-win, not a WIN-lose.

Good luck...

JR 

The great irony is Irelands fishing grounds are also worth billions and we scarcely have the navy to police ,the fishing fleet or the quota's to be able to take advantage of our vast oceans anymore.

The EU rape of our fishing grounds put tarmac under rubber here , the sea is a never ending supply of food if correctly marshaled , the EU payed us not to fish it.

If your an island nation in the midst of a covid storm the ocean is your bread basket , self suffienciency
is key , an independent food supply in each coastal town makes huge sense

Tubetec said:
The great irony is Irelands fishing grounds are also worth billions and we scarcely have the navy to police ,the fishing fleet or the quota's to be able to take advantage of our vast oceans anymore.
Maybe you guys should join us outside the EU? I am sure our navy would be happy to patrol your waters in exchange for some cod.  ;D

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Maybe you guys should join us outside the EU? I am sure our navy would be happy to patrol your waters in exchange for some cod.  ;D

Cheers

Ian
I haven't been following this with as much interest as you guys. In a newspaper report today they mentioned one of the sticking points was negotiating the fractional share for fishing catch, but approaching agreement.

Good luck, i remain optimistic but thats just me.

JR

PS: actually that newspaper was from thursday, the USPS is running days late...

Yes, agreement has been reached on all points. This needs to be ratified by Parliament and the EU members but that should be a formality.

Nobody got exactly what they wanted but the compromises reached are not unreasonable IMHO. It is historic because it is the first quota and tariff free trade agreement signed by the EU with a country outside the EU.

Cheers

Ian

Focus in the deal is clearly on goods and manufacturing industries. Services and financial industries are still a bit unclear from what I understod.

Other than that congratulations to the UK on the choice of Alan Turing as the name of the new student exchange programme (replacing UK participation in Erasmus).

Latest posts

Back