calling all the api cloners.. group buy ??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="cjenrick"]I believe that the ratio depends also on the opamp.....[/quote]
CJ, the opamp I'm using is the Avedis 1122, though later I was wanting to build my own. In fact the 312 PCB I'm going to layout for this project is going to have breakaway 2520 boards attached, that is if I can ever get an schematic that's accurate.
Kelley

doesnt api claim not to have changed the 2520? Im not so much up on that lore but if its the same opamp it appears as if they just changed the input ratio on the circuit. Makes you think twice about all the people who claim the 512 and 312 sound the same, you know?

dave

[quote author="soundguy"]doesnt api claim not to have changed the 2520?...[/quote]Well, it's surface mount now. I'd call that a change. :wink:

Hi Adrian

Did anyone read my last post!
I dangled a carrot in your face and no one even read it??????
I think the Altran are in the low $20's

I'd be interested if we went that way. Cost is always a huge consideration after an exchange rate conversion for me.

I'd also be interested in a copy if we (CJ?) ever hacked open a 2622.

Peter

well well well..

I really don't know how good Altran could be.. but my concern in about "integrity".. i'd like to build my clone soundinig as near as possible to genuine vintage api pres..
I see Scenaria point about the 2622 but seems noone sells any real clone of this and seems also almost impossible to find one to reverse it..
Now, those cinemags seems built exactly like the reichenbach that was installed on the majority of the old api modules (beside the real early ones that had the 2622), am i right?
I'm sure we can get a nice deal on quatities from cinemag, i'll try to find out exactly how much asap.
Again, to me teh best choice we ready have are the cinemag (i do not get any percentage from cinemag :green: )

This is surely an interesting discussion, that's exactly what i wanted to read.. thank you guys.. real knoledge!!

I definately be in for 2 of the cinemags, possibly 4, but it will be very price dependent for me - I'm sorta broke at the moment and got several other projects half finished.

tim

guys...

the point is that we have the ability in numbers to get this one re-made...

most places will do this if we can hit 100+ pieces...

soo why not locate a 2622 and have it reversed?

ed reichenbach used a year-based part numbering system (according to cinemag), so the RE75101, which cinemag is remaking as the CM75101, isn't the 2622, as API started making consoles in 1968.

more likely API eventually switched from the 2622 (1:8) to the RE75101 (1:10) for whatever reason. maybe they wanted more gain, a different sound, or maybe the 2622 manufacturer went out of business.

for a 1:8, cinemag also make a 150/600:10k input as the CMMI-8C3, which might be worth trying.

and while we're borrowing a page from osa, they use a transformer made by crimson transformers in their "vintage" model. i've talked to the friendly folks at crimson, and they do make a 1:10 mic input called the CT-700 (IIRC). they also said they'd be more than happy to do a modified run of these as 1:8, with a cost around $40ea in small quantities.

if anyone can find a 2622, hey, let's get someone to hack it apart. cinemag can certainly do that. or perhaps cj can take it apart and shop the specs around to whoever can make it the cheapest.

just some more ideas on the fire.

ed

Uh...umm...ya see..., I have a BTI 312-type card, not an API, but it has a 2622 that I'm not currently using. If it gets reverse engineered can it be put back together again? I guess I'm willing to donate it for the betterment of the group, but is it gone forever? ...sniff....

Right here!
My manager had to move me downstairs because the ceiling was starting to sag (among other things) in my apartment!
Everybody is sending me iron and the weight is breaking the 2 by fours!
:grin:

well, Scenaria, you almost convinced me.. :grin:
i'm asking around for a 2622 actually..
let's see how much it could cost to get a genuine one..
and Chris.. don't worry.. this one is so small :green:

Sending the transformer to a manfactuer to take apart is a bad idea.
If they document it they will leave out little details that
will not allow you to use a competors part.
Have someone like CJ take it apart and get detailed specs.
Before it is apart measure the response and the resonant peaks
and they should be the same if was copied correctly.

nice idea ! I wait for the real 2622.
I'd like to build 312 clones, I'll experiment on others input xfrmrs later.

I'd like to get some 2622 copies too. I have some 312s with Jensens which sound good but it's not the "classic" API sound.

I'd be in for 4 or so if this becomes a reality.

Unfortunately, in order to Really get all the specs, you should actually unwind the transformer.
I can get turns, but as was in the case of the Marinair, there was a reverse winding burried underneath the outter winding. That would have been hard to spot without unwinding the x-former.

There has to be a lot of those floating around if they went into consoles.

It would be nice to reverse All the different x-formers for the API, or as many as we are interested in.

cj

Latest posts

Back