Can I Do it?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am curious about type of metal used for plate: why carbon steel vs. something else? why cold roll? annealed or not? stainless?

thinner than 24ga. is hard to source stateside
thinner is likely better for hf detail. and drive efficiency

anybody know or care to speculate what different alloys and treatments might do all other parameters equal?

Great article ,thanks Brian ,
He does mention the usefulness of a gate for decay control at the end ,Drawmer DS201 is what I use .

I was skimming through that MR&M magazine article, and the Editor mentioned some sort of followup in the next issue, I skimmed through that one and the next issue, but didn't see anything. shrug

In the issue with the plate article, my great friend, Rick Chinn, wrote a great article re. impedance matching, levels, etc. Part 2 of Rick's article is in the June 83 issue.

MR&M was a very good magazine, FWIW, I used to write articles for them. They are worth a look-see since they are now all scanned and online.

Bri

I'm only going 48" x 36" with the sheet metal. I have decided to use a 50 watts 4" speaker, as anything stiffer will have too much of an affect on the natural decay of the steel. The bass shaker transducer thing don't appeal to me at all after buying one and examining it. I have also connected the little transducers that I will be using for pickups to a mic pre and they have a nice sound to them. More to come.

Attachments

• 20220823_092439.jpg
    20220823_092439.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220823_092329.jpg
    20220823_092329.jpg
    981.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm only going 48" x 36" with the sheet metal. I have decided to use a 50 watts 4" speaker, as anything stiffer will have too much of an affect on the natural decay of the steel. The bass shaker transducer thing don't appeal to me at all after buying one and examining it. I have also connected the little transducers that I will be using for pickups to a mic pre and they have a nice sound to them. More to come.
I'm sure you might've been just using the mic pre for initial testing, but will there be active electronics in it like an EMT? Have you thought about filtering?

The plate metal came less than an hour ago, and I have to drive over to Online Metals and pick up an order . I should be able to get some tension on it next week. I will be using an inch pound torque wrench. For electronics I grabbed a few LT1113 and LT1010 opamps along with a pair of Edcor 1:10 nickel core trannys. The LT1010 should be able to drive the large XSM 1:1 outputs (I've had a few outputs sitting around) And for shites and giggles the pre will have an DI input up to 10 megs. I'm looking at trying out the piezo option. I made an external PS some years back for an active summing box project that got scrapped, so it will be put to use again. It does +/- 24V and +/- 18V.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3129492430...rentrq:ccfcce7d1820a9d91cf94918ffffc836|iid:1That is the bad boy who will drive the transducer.

Attachments

• 20220823_164417.jpg
    20220823_164417.jpg
    954.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm sure you might've been just using the mic pre for initial testing, but will there be active electronics in it like an EMT? Have you thought about filtering?
Modern day operation with any DAW eliminates the need to hardwire in a filter. How about automating the EQ curve and or even dynamic EQing to and fro the verb. Exciting times!

Fedex beat up the edges quite a bit during shipping, but that's the name of the game. I went and got my order of angle iron, then finished the Toyota Camry rebuild. New engine, suspension, brakes, blah blah blah or a few grands later. Now I can focus on this here project. I hope to finalize the welding tomorrow. Stay tuned! Order from Mouser arrives tomorrow, trannys from Edcor comes in Monday...I can't keep up guys, lol!
20220824_142450.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back