Capsule or Circuit, which one is THE sound?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugmenotor

I'm a complete noob regarding microphones, but as far as I know, there are some microphones using the same capsules, yet they sound completely different. So, I want to know which one of them is actually contributes to the main qualities of a microphone. I'm talking about frequency response, tonal quality and maybe some technical characteristics as self-noise, SPL...etcetera

Capsule at first place, headbasket second, circuit third place and only of it's not flat.

Most mics have flat circuits and in that case it's mostly about THD, noise, phase shift, and such. All of which should be inaudible and lowest possible. So the circuit should behave as non existent.

Some like u87, u67 have basically an eq built in, and can affect the sound tremendously. So in this case circuit plays a big role, yet again even then capsule and headbasket come first.

There's a recent thread i started on Townsend labs Sphere, and there you can see a measurement of how headbasket affects response.

Would you mind giving me the link to the Townsend labs Sphere post?
So, the capsule comes first? I already had the idea about headbasket affecting the sound, as I've heard countless times this situation regarding the U47.
Some days ago I bought a discontinued AKG Perception 220 with the capsule damaged (The owner basically destroyed the mylar and the gold sputtering while trying to clean the capsule). It is in mint condition so, I was thinking of using a k67 capsule from a Behringer B1 and do some mod I found here which serves as a high frequency de-emphasis (the circuit from the Perception 220 is basically a clone of the U87 but with SMD components). My main concern if I don't make the mod and just replace the capsule, would it be as bright as the Behringer B1? (since the capsule is what contributes the main characteristics of the sound).
I'm already thinking of buying a Chinese capsule, but I live in South America so I would be waiting an eternity for imports, plus I don't know any reputable supplier with a great capsule which doesn't cost that much.

First I want to solve this to later experiment making some circuits I've found online. It's sad that sputtering mylar with gold isn't an easy task which could be done at home, then I would just reskin the capsule.

kingkorg said:
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=77464.0
That was an interesting post, even though I didn't understand everything, it's amazing what Townsend Labs accomplished with their software.
I just noticed you are the member who made the post about the Perception 220 mod. What do you think about my plans of using a Behringer B1 capsule for the Perception 220? is it worth it trying? The capsule from the Behringer is made by 797 Audio. I'm not sure about doing this since the Behringer's response graph shows it to be absolutely hyped on the top end.

You won't get anything by doing that. They are both great capsules, and should be bright. What is important is that fr has even HF boost amount is irrelevant. That is why you should bump up the feedback cap to 680pf. Check your inbox.

In that thread you have a clear FR graph with and without headbasket which shows how headbasket impacts the FR.

Well, thanks for your help. Now I need to look for a capsule in order to fix the Perception 220. Any recommendation for a supplier or something? I'm mainly worried about the current state of imports in my country due to covid.

i just posted a thread of my recently finished Gyraf G7 with interchangeable headbaskets. You can listen to the mic compared to a Neumann U87AI here: https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=77524.0

So you get an idea, how the different capsule types (K47, K67; CK12) sound in the same, flat mic circuit ;)

Joekkel said:
i just posted a thread of my recently finished Gyraf G7 with interchangeable headbaskets. You can listen to the mic compared to a Neumann U87AI here: https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=77524.0

So you get an idea, how the different capsule types (K47, K67; CK12) sound in the same, flat mic circuit ;)
Great, I'll check out your samples

Bugmenotor said:
Well, thanks for your help. Now I need to look for a capsule in order to fix the Perception 220. Any recommendation for a supplier or something? I'm mainly worried about the current state of imports in my country due to covid.

The 797 capsule is fine, it is one of the best of that type. I've been wondering if the K87 used in original non-serviced U87i non-Ai and later K67 capsules used in Ai really share the same properties. I mean original U87 had to use low polarization voltage of ~46V because it had no DC/DC converter but then U87ai increased the voltage for the capsule to 60V. It is possible to tune the capsule for lower voltages but don't know if Neumann used to do it or not (probably not as the U87Ai output level has relative increase). Does the P220 have the DC/DC converter?

The P200 / P220 / Perception 200 do indeed have a DC/DC converter, including the side for the negative voltage, as well as the "intermediate" +/-12v or so.

http://audioimprov.com/AudioImprov/Mics/Entries/2013/2/26_AKG_Perception_220.html

Back