CBD oil

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
living sounds said:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/may/05/cbd-a-marijuana-miracle-or-another-health-fad-cannabidiol-anxiety-epilepsy
Yes, that is consistent with my judgement, CBD oil is a near relative to snake oil...

There may be some psycho-activity there but still poorly understood and OTC product unlikely to live up to all the hype the shysters are promising. I am not immune to placebo effect, but my inflamed knee is not in my imagination.  8)

JR

PS: I don't regret my experiment, and will continue to explore alternates to my chronic internal NSAID consumption.

I´ve had cancer last year (some really aggressive MF) , got a surgery and since then use CBD preventively amongst many other biological measures. All seems to be good. Of course I cannot prove that CBD is the thing that helped me but for sure can I say that the sum of everything I did saved me from many side effects of cancer. My healing process was very fast, faster than usual, with close to no complications and currently all seems to be good.

What I do believe is that there is not a single medicine that cures a problem. It must bee seen in a certain context so that the problem can be addressed from different sides. Regarding OA check your vitamin D + K level. Most likely you need to supplement. Then there´s a diet called Budwig diet which really helps in that field. Try that for half a year and check out if it helps. It´s nothing bad, it´s simply very healthy. My wife and me went through that several times and got rid of many smaller and larger health problems.

jensenmann said:
I´ve had cancer last year (some really aggressive MF) , got a surgery and since then use CBD preventively amongst many other biological measures. All seems to be good. Of course I cannot prove that CBD is the thing that helped me but for sure can I say that the sum of everything I did saved me from many side effects of cancer. My healing process was very fast, faster than usual, with close to no complications and currently all seems to be good.
Glad to hear you beat it. I was aware of hemp extracts being used to treat nausea and appetite issues associated with chemo. Not as cancer fighter.  I lost two siblings to cancer so paying attention.
What I do believe is that there is not a single medicine that cures a problem. It must bee seen in a certain context so that the problem can be addressed from different sides. Regarding OA check your vitamin D + K level.
I get so much sun I use sun screen (to avoid skin cancer) so I probably get adequate Vit D. I am not big on spinach greens or collard greens, but have some broccoli in my daily lunch meal (salmon, with vegetables). I actually take two one-a-day vitamins daily JIC... Old people don't absorb vitamins as well as young pukes.
Most likely you need to supplement. Then there´s a diet called Budwig diet which really helps in that field. Try that for half a year and check out if it helps. It´s nothing bad, it´s simply very healthy. My wife and me went through that several times and got rid of many smaller and larger health problems.
I make kefir (fermented milk) and actually have some flax seed meal in the fridge. Might mix some flax seed meal into my kefir.  8)

Thanx and be well...

JR

jensenmann said:

Thats good news! Alles Gute weiterhin! CBD is a good companion in hard times.

FWIW: A friend's wife suffers from severe migraine. She's very positive about CBD oil.

It's great you were able to beat cancer, Jens. Research has shown a direct link to gut bacteria. So an appropriate diet would help a lot.

cyrano said:
FWIW: A friend's wife suffers from severe migraine. She's very positive about CBD oil.

It's great you were able to beat cancer, Jens. Research has shown a direct link to gut bacteria. So an appropriate diet would help a lot.
+1 to beating the big C.

You got my attention with a "direct link to gut bacteria". I have been paying attention to cancer since it took my father back in the 1950s (and sundry relatives since).

Using Google search I found an article from MD Anderson about gut biome and cancer.  The connection they draw is that intestinal bacteria affect our ability to extract energy from food and store it as fat, so tendency toward obesity. Obesity is indicated as a risk factor for colorectal cancer. This seems a fairly tenuous connection between bacteria and cancer, but obesity should be avoided for numerous other reasons, while elevated colon cancer risk is one pretty good one.

I had one cousin die of gut cancer a few decades ago and he was overweight, more recently my brother died of gut cancer and he was relatively slender, likewise my sister who died of cancer was also not over weight (but they both smoked cigarettes).  So two of my siblings both thinner than me, dead from cancer?  Arguably smoking cigarettes helps prevent obesity so by that logic reduces cancer risk.  :eek: :eek:  (of course it doesn't..... DO NOT SMOKE).

By all means good diet is important... I recall my sister lecturing me about diet after she got religion about it, while she was dealing with her own cancer. I had to bite my tongue because she was giving me the same advice I tried to give her for years, decades earlier...  While at Peavey a couple decades ago I wrote a column for the employee newsletter with healthy advice (about diet and exercise). I'd make the company nurse a little crazy because she didn't always agree with my observations (Like drinking alcohol raises HDL, good cholesterol). The nurse wrote a rebuttal letter to that one column.  8)

JR

Thanks for all the kind words!
In fact I did an intestinal renovation. The importance of an intact bacteria flora cannot be taken seriously enough. While conventional medicine is slow in acknowledging this other subject areas know that since a long time.
Not only is the corellation between gut cancer and intact bacteria flora well known. The entire immune system depends on a healthy bacteria flora. With that comes the ability of the immune system to destroy cancer cells as long as there are few. If the immune system is weak, e.g. caused by gut lack colonization (by eating too much meat and/or sugar, stress), then cancer lost it´s mightiest enemy in our body.

I like to keep my gut bugs happy and had to google this twice because I am a big advocate for using raw garlic for its anti-bacterial/anti-viral/anti-fungal properties. 

If garlic kills so much bad stuff how about gut bugs..?  word is that garlic kills some bad gut bacteria while supporting good gut bacteria... sounds like a win-win...  8)

JR

For the past 20 years I have had arthritis in my my knees and hips, and with over the counter medication and Shiatsu, I have dealt with it fairly satisfactorily.

Last year at age 57, everything got worse by a factor of 2-3, and a friend who has cancer suggested I try (what we call CA) oil. It has been remarkable in relieving my aches and pains, and allowing me to sleep through the night. I get it from a nursing sister at one of our local oncology clinics, so it comes from a reputable source.

After the first 5 gram bottle, which lasted 4 months, I stopped for 3 months and within a week I could feel my joints becoming less flexible and getting tighter. After 3 months I started on the oil again, and 4 months later I finished the bottle about 10 days ago. Same issues again, stiff joints and lack of sleep. So I have ordered more as I really believe this helps me deal with it.

The oil I get has THC in it, so I take it as late as possible as I get pretty stoned on it, which I dont care for.

My 2c worth. By the way it tastes like a combination of lucerne and cowsh!t. It is an effort to take it....
Peter

Besides CBD oil, there's also cannabis oil, as a food supplement. It's pressed from Cannabis plants with a very low THC content, like the plants grown for textile and rope manufacture. It's been around like forever, sold in food supplement and "organic" stores. It's very healthy.

What I remember from reading that report about gut bacteria and cancer: Certain cancers have a clear genetic cause. Only, people with healthy gut bacteria don't get cancer. Colonic cancer is one of them, I presume. The article didn't cite any specific cancers, but mentioned that the closer to the gut, the clearer the statistics were, so I'm presuming the colon to be a prime example.

I've been reading about gut bacteria for a number of years. It started when I discovered polysaccharides do get digested by some people, while they were rated zero calories by the food industry. For some people, polysaccharides pass the digestive system as the chains are too long to pass the membrane. Others seem to have gut bacteria that cut the chains. Zero calories turn into lots of calories. Could be the link to obesity for some?

Flatulence seems to be a weak indication for having gut bacteria capable of breaking down polysaccharides. Candida albicans proliferation is a second one. If Candida proliferation is suspected, you should avoid sugar as much as possible.

Polysaccharides include natural ones, like carrageenan, but also dozens of man-made ones. You'll often find these as "fiber" on the label.

I avoid all "light" products. I mean, who believes "light cream" or "light cheese" is possible?

Besides, natural fats aren't as "fattening" as lots of people believe. They're even quite healthy, taken in moderation.

cyrano said:
Besides CBD oil, there's also cannabis oil, as a food supplement. It's pressed from Cannabis plants with a very low THC content, like the plants grown for textile and rope manufacture. It's been around like forever, sold in food supplement and "organic" stores. It's very healthy.

What I remember from reading that report about gut bacteria and cancer: Certain cancers have a clear genetic cause. Only, people with healthy gut bacteria don't get cancer. Colonic cancer is one of them, I presume. The article didn't cite any specific cancers, but mentioned that the closer to the gut, the clearer the statistics were, so I'm presuming the colon to be a prime example.

I've been reading about gut bacteria for a number of years. It started when I discovered polysaccharides do get digested by some people, while they were rated zero calories by the food industry. For some people, polysaccharides pass the digestive system as the chains are too long to pass the membrane. Others seem to have gut bacteria that cut the chains. Zero calories turn into lots of calories. Could be the link to obesity for some?

Flatulence seems to be a weak indication for having gut bacteria capable of breaking down polysaccharides. Candida albicans proliferation is a second one. If Candida proliferation is suspected, you should avoid sugar as much as possible.

Polysaccharides include natural ones, like carrageenan, but also dozens of man-made ones. You'll often find these as "fiber" on the label.

I avoid all "light" products. I mean, who believes "light cream" or "light cheese" is possible?

Besides, natural fats aren't as "fattening" as lots of people believe. They're even quite healthy, taken in moderation.
If flatulence is good... I'm good.  8)

JR

peterc said:
For the past 20 years I have had arthritis in my my knees and hips, and with over the counter medication and Shiatsu, I have dealt with it fairly satisfactorily.

Last year at age 57, everything got worse by a factor of 2-3, and a friend who has cancer suggested I try (what we call CA) oil. It has been remarkable in relieving my aches and pains, and allowing me to sleep through the night. I get it from a nursing sister at one of our local oncology clinics, so it comes from a reputable source.

After the first 5 gram bottle, which lasted 4 months, I stopped for 3 months and within a week I could feel my joints becoming less flexible and getting tighter. After 3 months I started on the oil again, and 4 months later I finished the bottle about 10 days ago. Same issues again, stiff joints and lack of sleep. So I have ordered more as I really believe this helps me deal with it.

The oil I get has THC in it, so I take it as late as possible as I get pretty stoned on it, which I dont care for.

My 2c worth. By the way it tastes like a combination of lucerne and cowsh!t. It is an effort to take it....
Peter
If I have to ingest some THC I can live with that...  8)  Don't know about the flavor notes tho...

JR

I can buy CBD (hemp oil, no THC) openly on the highway. They suggested a "salve" with a lot of menthol and other crap in it.

I have an arthritic knee complicated by an L4L5 nerve pinch. I was taking 6-8 aspirin a day but had a bleeding issue. I switched to Tylenol but 6/day was barely enough; more and your liver falls out.

I've been doing the salve twice a day, cut back to 3 Tylenols/day, and have good pain control for 6 days. Maybe improved movement but that may be the rubbing or placebo. I don't know if it is the CBD or the menthol; I can buy menthol a lot cheaper and maybe I should try that. I do know that when I apply an extra dollop of salve I get a taste in my body like sour pot; tho this may be the many other herbs the salve is loaded with. FWIW: no "high" at all.

Specific product I was recommended: cdbMD brand "CBD Freeze", 750MG strength, 4oz tube for $60. This probably won't last a month, so a lot more than generic pills. (But a lot less cost and risk than back and knee surgery.) I've made a note to try this brand's "Revive 750MG" because it seems to be less menthol and other crap. A 1500mg strength is $90 and a better buy/mg of CBD. They may also have oils to take internally; for the moment I prefer just putting it on my skin.

FWIW: Maine is dorking-around with non-medical *pot*, not gonna happen this year I bet. However apparently I can now just buy a green-card for medical marijuana-- there's now no specific conditions listed, it does not have to be a doctor, and the pot-shop has a nurse who (for a fee!) will sign/sell a green-card after nominal interview. I understand the local shop is very aware of the need for *medical* marijuana (opposed to get-high dope) and has strains that work more that way.

PRR said:
I can buy CBD (hemp oil, no THC) openly on the highway. They suggested a "salve" with a lot of menthol and other crap in it.

I have an arthritic knee complicated by an L4L5 nerve pinch. I was taking 6-8 aspirin a day but had a bleeding issue. I switched to Tylenol but 6/day was barely enough; more and your liver falls out.

I've been doing the salve twice a day, cut back to 3 Tylenols/day, and have good pain control for 6 days. Maybe improved movement but that may be the rubbing or placebo. I don't know if it is the CBD or the menthol; I can buy menthol a lot cheaper and maybe I should try that. I do know that when I apply an extra dollop of salve I get a taste in my body like sour pot; tho this may be the many other herbs the salve is loaded with. FWIW: no "high" at all.

Specific product I was recommended: cdbMD brand "CBD Freeze", 750MG strength, 4oz tube for $60. This probably won't last a month, so a lot more than generic pills. (But a lot less cost and risk than back and knee surgery.) I've made a note to try this brand's "Revive 750MG" because it seems to be less menthol and other crap. A 1500mg strength is $90 and a better buy/mg of CBD. They may also have oils to take internally; for the moment I prefer just putting it on my skin.

FWIW: Maine is dorking-around with non-medical *pot*, not gonna happen this year I bet. However apparently I can now just buy a green-card for medical marijuana-- there's now no specific conditions listed, it does not have to be a doctor, and the pot-shop has a nurse who (for a fee!) will sign/sell a green-card after nominal interview. I understand the local shop is very aware of the need for *medical* marijuana (opposed to get-high dope) and has strains that work more that way.
You may also be a candidate for topical anti-inflammatories. Perhaps cheaper and better QC than pot based meds.

Topical diclofenac gel (same as ibuprofen) 1% (Voltaren®), topical diclofenac solution 1.5% (Pennsaid®), and topical diclofenac patch 1.3% (Flector®) are all associated with lower peak plasma concentrations and fewer systemic adverse events.

These require a prescription so I am still waiting for my next checkup to get some... in the meanwhile OTC naproxen is supposed to be the gentlest NSAID on our gut for internal use. I've been using 2x naproxen daily for years, but looking for something even safer.

JR

Shrooms...  ;D

I generally avoid watching all TV commercials especially local ones, but inadvertently saw a commercial for a new CBD store some 20 miles away. That seems optimistic to me, but we'll see.

My initial supply of 15mG capsules has been consumed, 1x a day for first week and 2x a day second week. The anti-inflammation effect was too weak, if at all, to replace one of my two naproxen sodium daily with CBD.  The knee started to flare up with only 1x naproxen, but quieted down again after returning to 2x naproxen daily.

I still have CBD lotion left and put some on my bad knee while icing it (almost every night).  When it runs out I do not plan to replace it either.

Still months away from my annual checkup where I plan to get a scrip for topical NSAIDs from a doctor to apply externally (ibuprofen cream).

JR 

Theres quite a variation in the amount of THC and CBD from strain to strain ,
I believe high THC strains of more than about 25% have been banned in places like Holland for the last few years .
I think its fair to say there is more issues with super high THC, its more like a hallucingenic trip than old style happy n mellow weed.
The CBD tends to balance the effect of the THC ,
One experiment showed when a user was administered only the equivalent amount of THC ,to the normal mixed THC/CBD dose they were used to they described feeling more paranoid than usual.

Ive been enquireing in local grow and head shops lately about the CBD weed they have on the shelf , apparently because its below 0.3% THC ,they can sell it . I asked if I could get seeds to grow my own 0.3% thc weed ,they explained the lowest THC variety they had was somewhere in the region 2-3% thc . They were unable to explain how the very low THC weed was produced

I had a good chat with one grow shop owner who said different sections of government here in Ireland  had wildly different approaches , the cops hardly bust people for personal amounts of weed anymore , the medical only try to demonise it to sell their own crap instead , customs have now been ordered to crack down on CBD shipments  coming in here  , and still other sections of government signal a softening of the laws around possesion for personal use , and a licence system for medical usage where with the say-so of a medical consultant a person is issued with a special licence which would legally allow them posess and probably grow their own if they wanted.

The government are too stupid to realise they could easily break the link between criminality and marijuhana by legalising it ,and take the stress off the police ,legal and court system while there at it . The cocaine and heroin trade is claiming almost one victim a week  to murder or attempted murder in the Capitol City , the defence forces (especially navy) are barely operational due to manpower/moral issues so its a smugglers paradise here just now.

JohnRoberts said:
There are so many people around here who know so much, I thought I'd ask here.  Anyone with personal experience using CBD oil supplements? Not just smoking ganja, I did plenty of that more than 50 years ago, but I didn't have arthritis back then and CBD is different from THC. 

I am thinking about trying CBD oil for it's anti-inflammatory properties to manage osteoarthritis (OA) in my right knee.  For years I have been treating the OA with NSAIDs (like naproxen sodium), but chronic use of NSAIDs can cause bleeding ulcers and more.  I had a neighbor hospitalized when he collapsed from blood loss due to a bleeding stomach ulcer from carless use of NSAIDs.  My doctor told me using NSAIDs to manage my OA is worth the risk, and I am careful to not take them on empty stomach, or take too many casually.

I am hoping that I might be able to substitute CBD oil for some or all of the NSAIDs and put less stress on my gut. Any one with recent experience using CBD oil supplements? There are lots of companies pushing hemp oil that isn't remotely the same stuff.  Right now real CBD oil is more expensive than generic NSAIDs but it could get cheaper over time extracted from common hemp.

JR

Just like you, I also have been taking ibuprofen on a regular basis for many years to deal with an assortment of inflammation related pain.  I plan on trying the CBD oil very soon - like this week .  I don't know much about the relative quality of the product but am not happy to hear there are companies trying to pass off an inferior product as the real thing. . . . . . just more hours of time chewed up on research and talking to sales weasels who are incapable of telling the truth.  But I'll gladly report back on how well it works.   

lassoharp said:
Just like you, I also have been taking ibuprofen on a regular basis for many years to deal with an assortment of inflammation related pain.  I plan on trying the CBD oil very soon - like this week .  I don't know much about the relative quality of the product but am not happy to hear there are companies trying to pass off an inferior product as the real thing. . . . . . just more hours of time chewed up on research and talking to sales weasels who are incapable of telling the truth.  But I'll gladly report back on how well it works. 
I consumed my CBD capsules in a matter of two weeks and they failed to make up the difference between 2x naproxen sodium (alieve) daily, and reduced dosage of 1x daily. I returned to 2x dosage after only days when I felt my right knee arthritis flare back up.  I still have half a jar of CBD cream left so still use that with my nightly icing regimen (I put 3 or 4 ice cubes inside a plastic bag, and sit on my hot knee until they melt).  Unclear that CBD lotion is doing anything... The ice definitely does.

I am in the process of changing to a new doctor,  my previous one retired way too young (thank you ACA  ::) ). I am due for my annual blood testing in a couple months to confirm that my thyroid medication dosage is maintaining healthy TSH readings. During that meet and blood panel review I plan to ask my new doctor for a prescription for  "Voltaren" a 1% topical NSAID gel (actually diclofenac not ibuprofen but similar). Hopefully applying the NSAID externally to my arthritic knee will reduce the risk of internal harm.

Every piece of advice I can find about NSAIDs says not to take them chronically, because of internal bleeding risk and I have at least one neighbor who ended up in the hospital with a bleeding ulcer (I suspect he abused OTC NSAIDs.)

I have been taking 2x naproxen daily for several years now, and don't believe in depending on luck. I work hard to coordinate my dosage with food to avoid taking NSAID on an empty stomach. I'd rather manage the NSAID risk proactively than wait for a problem to occur (like the medical community appears to do).

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I consumed my CBD capsules in a matter of two weeks and they failed to make up the difference between 2x naproxen sodium (alieve) daily, and reduced dosage of 1x daily. I returned to 2x dosage after only days when I felt my right knee arthritis flare back up.  I still have half a jar of CBD cream left so still use that with my nightly icing regimen (I put 3 or 4 ice cubes inside a plastic bag, and sit on my hot knee until they melt).  Unclear that CBD lotion is doing anything... The ice definitely does.

I am in the process of changing to a new doctor,  my previous one retired way too young (thank you ACA  ::) ). I am due for my annual blood testing in a couple months to confirm that my thyroid medication dosage is maintaining healthy TSH readings. During that meet and blood panel review I plan to ask my new doctor for a prescription for  "Voltaren" a 1% topical NSAID gel (actually diclofenac not ibuprofen but similar). Hopefully applying the NSAID externally to my arthritic knee will reduce the risk of internal harm.

Every piece of advice I can find about NSAIDs says not to take them chronically, because of internal bleeding risk and I have at least one neighbor who ended up in the hospital with a bleeding ulcer (I suspect he abused OTC NSAIDs.)

I have been taking 2x naproxen daily for several years now, and don't believe in depending on luck. I work hard to coordinate my dosage with food to avoid taking NSAID on an empty stomach. I'd rather manage the NSAID risk proactively than wait for a problem to occur (like the medical community appears to do).

JR

That doesn't sound too encouraging.    Any mildly positive effects at all?

I've got a sample of the Voltaren topical gel for problems due to a bad cervical disc which causes a much more localized pain.  I've only used it once and it seemed to work well for that application but the  Ibuprofen takes care of what feels to me like systemic inflammation throughout all the major joints.  Knock on wood I've never had issues with internal bleeding so far.

Ice packs can be small miracle workers.  Believe it or not ice packs have been one of the few things that give me relief for acid reflux episodes which sometimes causes excessive swelling at the top of my throat and lots of discomfort in the entire stomach area.  Ice packs on throat and stomach do an excellent job of bringing relief I cannot get from reflux meds, antacids or ibuprofen. 

Latest posts

Back