Congratulations America

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Gold"][quote author="analag"]Lieberman betrayed his party to go pucker up to McCain...it might be a safe guess to say he's be been assuming the "Thinking Man" pose all night.[/quote]

Being an independent doesn't quite have the luster it did, nor the power. Unfortunately he has five more years. Fortunately no one will pay him any mind.[/quote]

He was on the news today, stating he wants to work with Obama...what a piece of crap he is, I mean opportunist!!!

analag

[quote author="ENS Audio"]

Im sorry after what has happened this past 8 years, im happy that Obama is president but I fear that there are some very terrible realities that await for us.

The previous administration has left a horrible mess that im afraid Obama as much as he is really sincere and cares about this country, he and his administration will not be able to undo the damage that has been put forth by the economic policies of the past 8yrs.

How much money will be printed out just within the next 6 months???

Also, (for our economic experts) what will the government do to counter the coming inflation that will be the total collapse of the US economy?

The Speaker of the House wants to pass another stimulus package?? :shock:

So the solution?? Print more money..

Not to make any predictions but the sad thing is that Obama will be blamed for all the mess, hope for many will be tragically crushed and heads are going roll :sad:[/quote]

You can't have it both ways.. Of course Obama is not responsible for the crippled economy (that helped get him elected). But this is the same way the recession in 2001 was not caused by W. It just goes with the office that anything on your watch you own.

I feel there is a lot of blame to go around in the current combination credit/economic crisis. I am disappointed to see that Barney Frank was re-elected since I blame him and his policies as contributory to the housing blow up.

I've been saying this for a while but this economy is worse than most people appreciate. The easy money days of home equity credit lines, and huge credit card loan limits are over... could be a tough few years for consumer spending.

Again they're looking for another stimulus give away rather than addressing fundamental issues. Where do they think this money comes from, China? ( :grin: )

I'm hoping that a lot of the campaign rhetoric was just that, as strict carbon caps on coal burning power plants will not be helpful energy policy, especially in a weak economy. And increasing taxes is never a way to create jobs and power out of a recession.

Yes, I expect inflation to kick in... pretty hard if they put a false bottom under housing which I suspect they'll try to do. Once the credit crisis passes (a different problem) the dollar may fade as a safe haven and soften, leading to higher oil prices and more inflation. At the moment the falling gas prices have removed a drag on the economy but prices won't stay down very long.

Difficult times. Nobody blames Obama for causing it but how he (they- Pelosi Reid et all) act from here can make a big difference in where we go from here. It could get worse, but I remain optimistic that he will get good advice and hopefully listen to them, rather than blindly cranking out all his campaign promises.

Another observation about this credit meltdown. We will never return to how it was. There was lot of excessive leverage and artificial capital in the system. We will hopefully return to more normal credit market where home loans require down payments, business loans collateral, etc.

JR

[quote author="JohnRoberts"]
Another observation about this credit meltdown. We will never return to how it was. There was lot of excessive leverage and artificial capital in the system. We will hopefully return to more normal credit market where home loans require down payments, business loans collateral, etc.
[/quote]

Amen.

[quote author="JohnRoberts"]
[/quote]

As always, John, well put.

[quote author="dale116dot7"][quote author="JohnRoberts"]
[/quote]

As always, John, well put.[/quote]
Agree - well put JR but recall that this is just one more meltdown of a bubble made from dreams and fairydust: counting backwards: credit meltdown, tech-wreck, russian-banks, asian-currencys, asian-tigers, south american default... roaring 20's... tulip mania...

The model is wrong and until the model is changed this sort of stuff will keep on happening.

My job is in software that predicts the future based on the past. :wink: But all you can predict is a worst case up or down within a confidence limit. :roll: We work on 1 day forward and 95% confidence (so one day in 20 will/should be wrong). Good management may prevent too many downward breaks but the limit also keeps the upside in check. Despite everything when the future isn't like the past all bets are off.

[quote author="analag"]Lieberman betrayed his party to go pucker up to McCain...it might be a safe guess to say he's be been assuming the "Thinking Man" pose all night.[/quote]

Lieberman was abandoned by the democrats in his last election because of his support for Iraq on principle, not for some personal gain. He ran as an independent against a democrat and kept his seat in a very liberal district. The Democrats kept counting him as a Dem to take advantage of his seniority and make their numbers look good, but he is clearly an independent thinker.

He is pretty much the opposite of an opportunist supporting unpopular positions when it almost cost him his job. If he offered to work with Obama, I suspect it's just a classy offer like his support of his old friend John McCain.

Not every politician is a weasel.. just most of them. :roll:

JR

[quote author="bcarso"][quote author="nickt"] Despite everything when the future isn't like the past all bets are off.[/quote]

As Niels Bohr said, Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future.[/quote]

I thought that was Dan Quayle?

Like many, many people (if not most...) I'm just glad it's over. Hopefully Obama won't be one of those presidents whose term is ended early by an unfortunate situation.

That said, I'm disappointed that Obama will be the next president...Not that I think McCain would have been an awesome president either.

On the bright side.... We have four years off before republicans and democrats start taking out television ads with outrageous bullshit about the other guy.

Too far in either direction (Democrat or Republican) scares me.

The media and the two party system both suck.

But it is historic. This is our first mulatto president!

The criminal sobs trashed the system before Obamas administration will have a chance to do anything and how will the people/media react? The critics and others will tear apart this man Obama to whom is a decent person with a decent family. Obama has walked into a firestorm and im not sure even if he or the people in the US realize what burdens that hes inherited and I feel for him and what this is going to do to his family.

We need to be understanding that Obama will need everyones support because we cant expect that things will be fixed anytime soon but yet at the same time we must hold the Democratic majority in gov accountable for their actions or inactions during these upcoming 4yrs, just because the Republican party is irrelevant atm doesnt mean the other party should get a free pass.

[quote author="nickeveslage"]
But it is historic. This is our first mulatto president![/quote]

Yeah half like you, but half like me.

analag

[quote author="nickeveslage"]We have four years off before republicans and democrats start taking out television ads with outrageous bullshit about the other guy.[/quote]

I was watching CNN at dinner last night and they played a clip about an auto-dialer message being sent to cubans in Florida by the McCain crew saying that Castro likes Obama so to vote McCain, hahaha, classic.

[quote author="Ptownkid"][quote author="nickeveslage"]We have four years off before republicans and democrats start taking out television ads with outrageous bullshit about the other guy.[/quote]

I was watching CNN at dinner last night and they played a clip about an auto-dialer message being sent to cubans in Florida by the McCain crew saying that Castro likes Obama so to vote McCain, hahaha, classic.[/quote]

And I can tell first hand that most of the 1st gen. Cubans that live here in S. FL believe every word that they hear from Fox News, e.t.c. They really do think that Obama is a Castro style revolutionary, but I really have to ask if its the US embargo or Communism that is causing the misery over in Cuba and the answer they'll tell you its communism.

I've even had a conversation with a friends grandparent about when she had to leave Cuba because the gov seized her families business and people in the neighborhood were myseriously vanishing off the streets.

Also another fellow has told me that over in Cuba in each section of every community theres a "village chief" that is responsible for collecting any private info they can get on people to whom may be deemed as "counter revolutionaries" and a threat to the gov.

In a way I can see how these folks are paranoid and so gulliable to every word spoken by the conservative sect of the US gov. It goes to show you how well politicians and the media play into peoples fears.

[quote author="JohnRoberts"][quote author="analag"]Lieberman betrayed his party to go pucker up to McCain...it might be a safe guess to say he's be been assuming the "Thinking Man" pose all night.[/quote]

Lieberman was abandoned by the democrats in his last election because of his support for Iraq on principle, not for some personal gain. He ran as an independent against a democrat and kept his seat in a very liberal district. The Democrats kept counting him as a Dem to take advantage of his seniority and make their numbers look good, but he is clearly an independent thinker.

He is pretty much the opposite of an opportunist supporting unpopular positions when it almost cost him his job. If he offered to work with Obama, I suspect it's just a classy offer like his support of his old friend John McCain.

Not every politician is a weasel.. just most of them. :roll:

JR[/quote]

I think the left is just curious why he doesn't become a made man with the GOP and get it over with, that's all.

I think Harry Reid is helping him with his decision as we speak.

[quote author="Larrchild"]

I think the left is just curious why he doesn't become a made man with the GOP and get it over with, that's all.

I think Harry Reid is helping him with his decision as we speak.[/quote]

I suspect he will get faint support from other side.. he is far too liberal to be republican, perhaps not liberal enough to be democrat.. Sounds just right to me. :grin:

JR

Neither Reid's nor Lieberman's press release were decipherable. How do they do that so well?

Whether he caucuses as a Dem or not is the question at hand, I guess.
The 60-seat goal.

If he doesn't play nice, they may "demote" him to the senatorial equivalent of Siberia. I predict that he will find a new home in short order, however.

And I can tell first hand that most of the 1st gen. Cubans that live here in S. FL believe every word that they hear from Fox News, e.t.c. They really do think that Obama is a Castro style revolutionary, but I really have to ask if its the US embargo or Communism that is causing the misery over in Cuba and the answer they'll tell you its communism.

I've even had a conversation with a friends grandparent about when she had to leave Cuba because the gov seized her families business and people in the neighborhood were myseriously vanishing off the streets.

Also another fellow has told me that over in Cuba in each section of every community theres a "village chief" that is responsible for collecting any private info they can get on people to whom may be deemed as "counter revolutionaries" and a threat to the gov.

In a way I can see how these folks are paranoid and so gulliable to every word spoken by the conservative sect of the US gov. It goes to show you how well politicians and the media play into peoples fears.[/quote]

The election is over so hopefully soon we can move beyond this old business. I don't know how much is Obama's personal philosophy and how much is just good old democratic screed, but his response to the Columbian trade bill question in the debate was not even remotely accurate (where were the network fact checkers on that?) and since approval of that bill would only remove the remaining tariffs on US goods sold to Columbia, this would have the primary effect of increasing US jobs. The apparent agenda for Pelosi refusing to submit this no brainer trade bill for a vote, sure looks like veiled support for the FALN and Chauvez to the detriment of the Uribe government and his pro American administration. I beleive they are in the process right now of reducing aid to Columbia, one of our stronger allies down there. While I applaud their new found fiscal restraint, it seems a little selective as they test a $350B stimulus package number...

An agent from Chauvez's government was recently prosecuted for trying to cover up an incident where the bag man carrying Venezuelan funds to influence some election in a neighboring S.A. country was inadvertently discovered and the cash ended up in Fl. I am suspicious that Chauvez giving free heating oil to young Kennedy in Mass is not out of the kindness of his heart, but another attempt to influence politics in other countries. It's not against the law to lobby for a foreign government's self interest but it must be registered and done in daylight, with full disclosure. I believe it's safe to say Obama is Chauvez's candidate, while this doesn't mean the admiration is reciprocated. Fidel seems to be quickly becoming a historical footnote as he marks time waiting for the grim reaper and Raul seems almost reasonable by comparison.

I really hope Obama will soar above the people around him, as Chris Dodd holds hearings today to talk about how he's going to clean up (out) the banks. :roll: I've already shared my opinion about Dodd, Frank, Schumer and that team of financial wizards. Heaven help us all... Obama talks about getting advice from Warren Buffett, bring him in... please.

I don't think its time to relax about our new improved government. Trust but verify.

JR

I really have to ask if its the US embargo or Communism that is causing the misery over in Cuba and the answer they'll tell you its communism.
[/quote]

I was wondering what's the deal with that. China also is a communist country and US seems to be fine with that. Or is it just that hypocritical attitude there is not much to get from Cuba?

Best, M

Back