covid politics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my South American relatives took ivermectin when he was pretty bad with covid. Said he was scared to take it because the kind he had was something you drink ....but it turned him around literally by the next day.... I think I mentioned it in the covid thread in the beginning of the year actually...
Maybe just coincidence it worked...Who knows..
Glad it worked out... It is hard to know who to trust and who not too. Good luck all.

JR

Odd IMO that Taiwan is not a member of WHO (probably at China's insistence) but Venezuela is.

JR

Not odd at all, if you're paying attention. You're not wrong that it's China's insistence (or other parties' unwillingness to perturb China), but there are many international arenas where Taiwan is not officially recognized as an independent nation. You can agree or disagree with that, but that's the way the game's been played for decades now.

Not odd at all, if you're paying attention.
I've been known to pay attention... I even recall Taiwan on old maps once being labelled Formosa.
You're not wrong that it's China's insistence (or other parties' unwillingness to perturb China),
occasionally I'm "not wrong"..
but there are many international arenas where Taiwan is not officially recognized as an independent nation. You can agree or disagree with that, but that's the way the game's been played for decades now.
This is of interest IMO in the context of covid, because Taiwan had probably important early experience with Covid and was ignored/downplayed by WHO because of China's influence.

JR

This is of interest IMO in the context of covid, because Taiwan had probably important early experience with Covid and was ignored/downplayed by WHO because of China's influence.

JR

So in 1971 China joined the UN at the expense of Taiwan, which was expelled. That pretty much set the tone for the last half century.

Taiwan may have had important early experience in keeping COVID out of their country--they had very few cases until just recently. But if you're looking for substantial early experience with COVID, Taiwan does not appear to be the place to find it.

Of course China knows but has probably destroyed any evidence by now.

It is starting to look like we don't exactly have clean hands as some funding for the "gain of function" research in Wuhan looks like it came from the US. Dr Fauci tried to add a layer of insulation when gain of function research was prohibited by US government, by funneling the money through a third party organization. I look forward to the next time he gets questioned under oath. His recently released trove of emails will prove embarrassing.

It is a fair debate whether gain of function research is responsible. Any such amplified virus strains need to be handled with extreme care, and rigorous safety protocols (not something the Wuhan lab was known for). The worst case scenario crowd will call this a bio-weapon, a more optimistic read is that this was valid research that accidentally leaked to the public.

China suggests that they had early knowledge about the potential danger from this virus by how they restricted travel from Wuhan to other parts of China, while freely allowing travel anywhere else in the world. In the best light this was certainly opportunistic.

===
Back on the subject of Formosa/Taiwan it's location makes it a desirable prize for powerful neighbors (like Japan and China). There is plenty of history there. I am more concerned about current events as we see Hong Kong being scrubbed of democratic vestiges. The writing on the wall suggests that China has similar designs for Taiwan. China is playing a long game and is already sensing weakness from Taiwan's allies.

WRT Covid, Taiwan does a lot of business inside mainland China so had lots of first hand exposure and experience.

The WHO is not unlike the UN as examples of questionable leadership... At least the UN has a security council that provides some stability but world power seems to shifting somewhat between fading powers and rising powers. Try not to be a fading power.

JR

Snowflakes(Republicans who wanted a hamburger)did/do as they please for months spouting freedom and fake news. Snowflakes(grandparents who wanted to see their families, regardless of consequences) did/do as they please making false "exceptions" to justify their behavior. California's ICU capacity is ZERO percent now. Selfishness is the cause. Period. There is no room for anyone who has a serious accident to be treated. Our country set another death count record yesterday. I would just like to thank anyone and everyone who got together for Christmas to make the effects of this pandemic even more "spectacular" while sticking their middle fingers in the face of any and all front-line health care providers. Humans are so selfish, it will ultimately be the cause of our demise... and we know better. Bring the pain so that the solution may come quicker.
Why is California´s (and other places) ICU capacity so low?

What happens if you become infected afterwards? If it takes a few days to become infectious after contracting the virus, I suppose a negative test result would guarantee that, even if you did come in contact with it soon after, you're still good for a bit?
Antibodies will keep one safe...

Why is California´s (and other places) ICU capacity so low?
CA has something like 2.1 ICU beds per 10k population. This is below the US average of 2.7 ICU beds per 10k.

I suspect it's related to a cost management issue as hospitals in the US are operated as profit making businesses.

JR

CA has something like 2.1 ICU beds per 10k population. This is below the US average of 2.7 ICU beds per 10k.

I suspect it's related to a cost management issue as hospitals in the US are operated as profit making businesses.

JR
...therein lies the problem of capitalism entwined with health care...you can't care about someone's health while caring about the almighty dollar... 'Murica brought to you by one issue voters and non-thinkers...highest infant mortality rate in all of "first-world" countries...Freedom!

"And like a miracle, it will just disappear."

DJT

...therein lies the problem of capitalism entwined with health care...you can't care about someone's health while caring about the almighty dollar...
As I already stated I suspect the ICU capacity is related to cost management. Not necessarily a sin when dealing with limited resources.

The elephant in the room about socialized medicine is that no country has so much wealth that everybody can get every procedure/operation if and when they want it. This becomes more obvious with elder care. The wealthy will often pay their own money to get needed care rather than wait in line for a resource limited system.

Another thing tangled up by COVID is the open border between US and Canada. Canadian residents needing procedures can no longer pop over the border for a quicker treatment.
'Murica brought to you by one issue voters and non-thinkers...
Most votes are dominated by self-interest. This often comes down to single issues.
highest infant mortality rate in all of "first-world" countries...Freedom!
You made me look that up... Angola is worst with Afghanistan (149/10k) a close second (i wonder if that will get better under Taliban rule after we pull out?). The EU is just slightly better than US (5.79 vs 6.06 per 10k). Several EU countries are better than that EU average, just like I suspect some US states are better than the US average. Best country is Monaco (1.79 per 10k).

"And like a miracle, it will just disappear."

DJT
Sadly these old anti-American talking points don't just disappear.

JR

Sadly these old anti-American talking points don't just disappear.

JR

HA! Only open eyes can truly see anti-American sentiment. Keep choosing not to accept and read.

"It goes through the air," Mr Trump told the author on 7 February.
"That's always tougher than the touch. You don't have to touch things. Right? But the air, you just breathe the air and that's how it's passed.
"And so that's a very tricky one. That's a very delicate one. It's also more deadly than even your strenuous flus."

-DJT

Later that month, Mr Trump promised the virus was "very much under control", and that the case count would soon be close to zero. He also publicly implied the flu was more dangerous than Covid-19.

https://apnews.com/article/pandemic...rus-outbreak-cb579c89907b73e546459848e2b3bb67

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54094559
SO American to lie to the public in the interests of re-election. WOW. I guess it's also anti-american to wear a mask...and take the vaccine...and respect those who do...or have you abandoned this party of selfishness that you stand by and admonish when convenient?

never happened, be patriotic an move on
I pray that you are being facetious. If not, I will provide endless links for you to read to end this cycle of disinformation. It would be nice if the next pandemic were handled differently. Acceptance and education is the only way.

ie wyoming: they dont have state wide stay at home orders, but they have stay at home when possible recommendation statewide , thats from early days...
whole state population is about 1/2 milion and ur nearest neighbour is no closer than 4-5 miles!
their city center is smaller than my friends backyard! they have different rules for the city center etc!
so our loved Anderson the ass is not telling the whole story as usual, nor the other asses from FOX!

so sad!
Compare Wyoming to blue Democrat states. Your argument fails. Politics kill.
https://covidactnow.org/us/wyoming-wy/?s=1987906https://covidactnow.org/us/wyoming-wy/?s=1987906

For a case of pure COVID "politics", house republicans frustrated by democrats refusing to pursue an investigation into the cause of COVID are holding their own (cough) hearing. This "informal" hearing held in the visitors center lacks subpoena power to call witnesses like Dr Fauci, because it isn't a formal investigatory hearing. It is not immediately clear to me why the democrats are blocking this investigation.

After all the claims about following the science it seems strange how the evidence surrounding the COVID outbreak has not really changed since a year ago but the public sentiment has flipped 180' (why?). Coincidentally social media fact checkers have stopped blocking and discrediting old claims pointing at the Wuhan lab as a possible source.

One lesson here is how powerful these social media gatekeepers are at controlling the flow of information to push their agenda, and public sentiment.

I'll let you make up your own speculation about why one side is trying to suppress information about this. The other side no doubt expects this to be embarrassing.

Politics aside the world really needs to understand how this pandemic happened so we can prevent another from happening. I don't have much faith in WHO or UN, that both seem to be carrying water for China.

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back